Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-21-13, 12:14 PM   #1
Hyperventilate
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kleptomania

Here on the other side of the planet were I am from there is this preconceived notion that people in the USA is sued at the drop of a hat.
If this is indeed the case... how do you handle the problem of kleptomania within a office setup?
Or is this question not "correct" within the social lexicon?
Hyperventilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 01:42 PM   #2
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If it's serious, the person should be caught in the act and disciplined. People need to feel safe in their work. If you are just talking about the occasional pen or pencil, I wouldn't sweat it.

And don't worry about lawsuits as long as everything is done by the book. My ex gave a subordinate an "average" performance review. The subordinate slapped her and the university they worked for with a $1,000,000 law suit. You can't predict people. The final result of the lawsuit was that all charges were dropped and then the university went after the subordinate for the $250,000 in legal fees from the lawsuits, wiping out the subordinate's savings and taking their house.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 04-21-13 at 01:47 PM.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 02:32 PM   #3
mulveyr 
Senior Member
 
mulveyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the wilds of NY
Bikes: Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem
Posts: 1,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperventilate View Post
Here on the other side of the planet were I am from there is this preconceived notion that people in the USA is sued at the drop of a hat.
If this is indeed the case... how do you handle the problem of kleptomania within a office setup?
Or is this question not "correct" within the social lexicon?
You can sue anyone for anything. It doesn't mean you'll win.

In practice, it doesn't happen as often as people think, and when it does, it tends to be in cases where there is an actual need ( fraud, etc. ). The problem of course is that the cases that make the news are reported on solely because they're unusual ( and even then, they're often misunderstood, like the ever-popular "Mcdonald's hot coffee" case which is widely scoffed at by people who don't seem to realize that the victim ended up with severe injuries ).

As for kleptomania in an office - are you talking about something like a sandwich occasionally disappearing from a break-room refrigerator, or repeated high-value thefts?
__________________
Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 04:54 PM   #4
ahsposo 
Titanic Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Deep in the North Atlantic
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,073
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Excuse me? Somebody steal my lunch and we have a BIG problem!

They can have the copier, the fax machine and all the pens and pencils they can carry.

Eat my bologna sandwich and somebody's gonna get sued!
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 07:03 PM   #5
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sadly, lawsuits are way to common in the US of A. No one wants to take personal responsibility for their own actions or poor choices, or just the capricious nature of life. Something just happen. There is not always going to be someone else to blame and foot the bill.

I believe that we should have some sort of governance in place where if a judge or some sort of impartial board can examine a lawsuit and see if it has merit or it is just baseless money chasing. If if is the former, it goes on as written. If it is found to be baseless, it can still go on, but the loser must pay the winner, regardless of who wins. You sue me for a large sum of money, baselessly, and lose, I get a million from you. Would greatly ease the case I load I bet.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13, 01:53 PM   #6
Hyperventilate
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here I am not referring to general pilfering of office supplies, lunch or general lay around items. I am talking about about a person that acts like a chipmunk with 10 nuts in its cheeks and still trying to fit in more!

Maybe I should rephrase my original question: How do one accommodate a person with kleptomania within a office environment?
Hyperventilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13, 01:56 PM   #7
Hyperventilate
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe my question is unfair and I should not press in on you. Maybe I should, just lock her our out one evening and let the lions eat her.
Thanks for assisting were there really is no answer
Hyperventilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13, 02:25 PM   #8
mikeybikes
Senior Member
 
mikeybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edgewater, CO
Bikes: Tons
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperventilate View Post
Here I am not referring to general pilfering of office supplies, lunch or general lay around items. I am talking about about a person that acts like a chipmunk with 10 nuts in its cheeks and still trying to fit in more!

Maybe I should rephrase my original question: How do one accommodate a person with kleptomania within a office environment?
A person who did that wouldn't be accomodated, IMO. They would be summarily fired at the first instance they get caught and escorted out by security if the risk was high enough.
mikeybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13, 02:32 PM   #9
ahsposo 
Titanic Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Deep in the North Atlantic
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,073
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Have you spoken to someone in management? If her activities are such that it hurts your or your groups productivity they would be interested.
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13, 04:51 PM   #10
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperventilate View Post
Maybe I should rephrase my original question: How do one accommodate a person with kleptomania within a office environment?
As I said before and mikeybikes also said, you don't accomodate a person with kleptomania.

You get that person out of your office by layoff, firing or arrest. Just make sure that you have the proper evidence.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13, 05:40 PM   #11
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,968
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveyr View Post
You can sue anyone for anything. It doesn't mean you'll win.

In practice, it doesn't happen as often as people think, and when it does, it tends to be in cases where there is an actual need ( fraud, etc. ). The problem of course is that the cases that make the news are reported on solely because they're unusual ( and even then, they're often misunderstood, like the ever-popular "Mcdonald's hot coffee" case which is widely scoffed at by people who don't seem to realize that the victim ended up with severe injuries ).

As for kleptomania in an office - are you talking about something like a sandwich occasionally disappearing from a break-room refrigerator, or repeated high-value thefts?
Yeah, but there is a certain amount of common sense involved about where one puts a hot cup of coffee...
genec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13, 06:24 PM   #12
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Yeah, but there is a certain amount of common sense involved about where one puts a hot cup of coffee...
Assuming that the coffee is within the heat levels of a normal cup of coffee.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13, 08:01 PM   #13
mulveyr 
Senior Member
 
mulveyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the wilds of NY
Bikes: Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem
Posts: 1,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Yeah, but there is a certain amount of common sense involved about where one puts a hot cup of coffee...
There's also a certain amount of common sense in not handing people liquids in flimsy cups kept at temperatures that will cause immediate severe burns when someone inevitably spills one - especially in a drive-through, with the attendant fumbling that goes along with transferring the item. And definitely when far safer alternatives exist.
__________________
Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:30 AM.