Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-13, 09:22 AM   #1
Randolfo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Randolfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville
Bikes: BD Motobecane Gran Turismo, Magna Chinese Junk
Posts: 109
Put the Book Down and Go Riding

It was a rainy Saturday here along the Ohio Valley yesterday. I would stand up look out the window, sigh, and sit back down. I was reading "Bike Snob, Systematically & Mercilessly Realigning the World of Cycling", when I read his comments about protecting your dream bike. How some people will get that dream bike, and not even ride it out of fear of damaging it. You see, I saved for awhile to get my bike, and I was rapidly becoming a fair weather cyclist. His comments hit that nerve, and I knew he was right. I also knew I might become one of these folks. I put the book down, got on my bike, and got sweaty and rained on. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

My question: What is the most important thing you changed in yourself or your riding after reading a book about cycling, and what was that book?

As an aside, my ride drove home his "rightness" about fenders, which is why they will be on the priority list for me.
Randolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 09:29 AM   #2
ka0use
Senior Member
 
ka0use's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Denver, Freak Hill, Colorado
Bikes: 2003 Bianchi Lynx MTB bought new. Her name is Judy.
Posts: 1,136
i always take a book with me- and take time to read along the way, 'cause i need plenty of restin'.
ka0use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 09:42 AM   #3
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,859
"Curious George Rides A Bike", when reading that, I figured that if a monkey could ride a bike, I could teach myself how. So, at age 5 1/2, I went over to a neighbor's and borrowed her bike and used it in her driveway until I could balance, steer and pedal. I figured that for learning purposes, a girl's bike might be a bit safer in case of sudden dismounts.

After that, any other book about bicycling pales in its influence, though I was majorly influenced by an English book on bicycle touring that I found in the library as a teen. It introduced me to the concepts of gearing, cadence and the like.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 09:51 AM   #4
Randolfo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Randolfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville
Bikes: BD Motobecane Gran Turismo, Magna Chinese Junk
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
"Curious George Rides A Bike", when reading that, I figured that if a monkey could ride a bike, I could teach myself how. So, at age 5 1/2, I went over to a neighbor's and borrowed her bike and used it in her driveway until I could balance, steer and pedal. I figured that for learning purposes, a girl's bike might be a bit safer in case of sudden dismounts.

After that, any other book about bicycling pales in its influence, though I was majorly influenced by an English book on bicycle touring that I found in the library as a teen. It introduced me to the concepts of gearing, cadence and the like.

I can see how a book that convinced you to get up on the bike is the most important. A book did not convince me to ride. It was my father. As strange as it seems, my dad believed it was un-American for a child not to learn how to ride a bike. Little did he know, French and Italian children enter into the world riding their bikes. But yours is an interesting story. I wonder how many other people can say something similar.
Randolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 11:54 AM   #5
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka0use View Post
i always take a book with me- and take time to read along the way, 'cause i need plenty of restin'.
I always listen to Audio Books when I ride, with an occasional audio break for R&B music. Audio books prompt me to ride more since I don't nod off while listening.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 12:18 PM   #6
TiBikeGuy
Senior Member
 
TiBikeGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Litespeed Ti Mtb, BikeE Recumbent, Cannondale H600 Hybrid,
Posts: 347
That is why my dream bike is a titanium mtb made by Litespeed. Bought it in '91 and for more than 20 years, no worries of rust or scratches. Hardtail so no worries of shock or swing arm problems. Mud and grime washes off easily, and it soaks up any offroad vibration. Put on the best parts like XTR, Critical Racing, Grafton, Paul Components, MachineTech, Kooka, ControlTec, etc.. so that I know I will be riding it for a long, long time.

BTW, hardly anyone reads a book ... more likely to be reading from a tablet or a smartphone.
TiBikeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 09:21 PM   #7
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiBikeGuy View Post
BTW, hardly anyone reads a book ... more likely to be reading from a tablet or a smartphone.
Reading a book on a smartphone? My eyes hurt thinking about it!
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 10:10 PM   #8
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiBikeGuy View Post
BTW, hardly anyone reads a book ...
Hmmmm. That news hasn't made it to Arkansas.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 06:21 AM   #9
ahsposo 
Big Blubbery Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On a floe
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,060
^^^Hasn't made it to GA either.

After reading Tim Krabbe's The Rider I quit using my large cog.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...ixnay on the exsay alktay.
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 04:00 PM   #10
Randolfo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Randolfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville
Bikes: BD Motobecane Gran Turismo, Magna Chinese Junk
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
^^^Hasn't made it to GA either.

After reading Tim Krabbe's The Rider I quit using my large cog.
I will have to check this book out. Having a spouse who is a book seller will help in this endeavor.

I actually swing three ways when it comes to reading. I have a Kindle, Nook, and I still read the paper ones. They all have advantages, but those old tech paper ones do not need to be recharged.
Randolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 04:24 PM   #11
ahsposo 
Big Blubbery Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On a floe
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,060
Oh, I have a Kindle Fire and it is useful. I also consume a lot of audiobooks but turning pages is a sensual act for me. I have read for pleasure since I was 8 or 9.

The thing about the large cog is a jest. The Rider is a fine story of an amateur bike racer and an especially fun read if you have road racing experience. Don't miss it.

You'll understand the joke when you read it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...ixnay on the exsay alktay.
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 07:30 AM   #12
Randolfo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Randolfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville
Bikes: BD Motobecane Gran Turismo, Magna Chinese Junk
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Oh, I have a Kindle Fire and it is useful. I also consume a lot of audiobooks but turning pages is a sensual act for me. I have read for pleasure since I was 8 or 9.

The thing about the large cog is a jest. The Rider is a fine story of an amateur bike racer and an especially fun read if you have road racing experience. Don't miss it.

You'll understand the joke when you read it.
Okay, now you made me very curious.
Randolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 07:50 AM   #13
jdon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Oh, I have a Kindle Fire and it is useful. I also consume a lot of audiobooks but turning pages is a sensual act for me. I have read for pleasure since I was 8 or 9.

The thing about the large cog is a jest. The Rider is a fine story of an amateur bike racer and an especially fun read if you have road racing experience. Don't miss it.

You'll understand the joke when you read it.
It gets better every time you read it as well.
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:17 AM.