Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-13, 08:22 PM   #1
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
Thread Starter
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
Posts: 4,736
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
World War Z. World War Are you kidding?

Anyone see World War Z? I did and I hated it. I am a big zombie far too.


Hopefully I will not give away too much of the plot.




My main issue with the flick is that is is so improbable. A disease that manifests itself that quickly and is as fatal is usually confined to a small region. It really never has a chance to spread. Granted this particular disease is not really fatal but unless I missed something they never explained how the disease was able to cross continents. I mean if you worked at the Korean version of the TSA, would you allow a zombie to board the plane? I suppose stowaways but you would think they would be discovered too. And a potential stowaway would have to be bitten just before boarding. I think they would have been able to confine the spread of the disease to a region if not at least a continent.

Another thing that they failed to explain is how Brad Pitt's character's family made it to the free zone after being banned form the ship.

Plus a big inconsistency like the zombies are super fast and can jump great distances except in a situation where the main characters could be attacked.

The portrayal of the close up shots of the zombies was almost comical. Not frightening at all. The Walking Dead does a much better job of that. The Wlaking Dead also got it right in how they handled the concept of zombies, they had never existed before, even in fantasy.


Over all I think this movie is a dud. Might make an OK Red Box movie.
spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 08:25 PM   #2
kenji666
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On yer left
Bikes:
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because REAL zombies are so much skeerier.
kenji666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 08:38 PM   #3
BenzFanatic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicagoland area
Bikes:
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I can't even watch any zombie or post-apocalyptic movies anymore... They've been played out since the 80's. Sure there's the occasional one that has an interesting twist to it or whatever, but overwhelmingly, they all stink.
BenzFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 09:15 PM   #4
skijor 
on by
 
skijor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT
Posts: 926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
So Brad Pitt should stick to scalpin' Nat-zees?

I haven't seen it but heard similarly meh comments.
skijor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 10:29 PM   #5
DX-MAN
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Walking Dead DOES do a good job; they have been the best since the legendary original "Dawn of the Dead", and the hilariously campy "Return of the Living Dead".

Sounds like another take on Will Smith's "I Am Legend", combined with the "28 Hours/Days" movies. It'll likely take RedBox to get me to throw down the $$.
DX-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 06:55 AM   #6
MangoPumpkin 
Cool Beans
 
MangoPumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lancaster County, PA
Bikes: Raleigh Cadent
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read the book which was much better.

I heard they weren't supposed to be 'zombies' per se in the movie. Who knows. I, for one, won't be seeing the movie.
__________________
I've got your restraining order right here. [grabs crotch] Restrain this!
MangoPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 07:09 AM   #7
ttusomeone
Senior Member
 
ttusomeone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Bikes:
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
My main issue with the flick is that is is so improbable. A disease that manifests itself that quickly and is as fatal is usually confined to a small region. It really never has a chance to spread. Granted this particular disease is not really fatal but unless I missed something they never explained how the disease was able to cross continents. I mean if you worked at the Korean version of the TSA, would you allow a zombie to board the plane? I suppose stowaways but you would think they would be discovered too. And a potential stowaway would have to be bitten just before boarding. I think they would have been able to confine the spread of the disease to a region if not at least a continent.

Another thing that they failed to explain is how Brad Pitt's character's family made it to the free zone after being banned form the ship.
At some point in the movie they make a very quick reference to it spreading so quickly through air travel. Also, when he was at the army base in South Korea they mentioned it took 10 minutes for someone to turn after they were bitten so I guess as it spread the time shortened. Still somewhat unrealistic that it could spread that quickly, but then again this is a fictional movie.

Also, everyone that was forced off the ship was being taken to the free zone. That's how Brad Pitt's character found out where they were - the UN guy said they were taken to the safe zone. Even though it was a safe zone, it is likely not as safe as a ship in the middle of the ocean which is why it was a big deal having to leave.

Overall I thought it was a good movie, but you could definitely get caught up on the physics around how the zombies act. Then again, I remind myself that zombies aren't real today so you can only compare it with what past movies/shows have done. Having them do something different didn't have a negative effect on my experience.
ttusomeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 07:29 AM   #8
ahsposo 
Titanic Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Deep in the North Atlantic
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,073
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
After Night of the Living Dead it's been all downhill...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelmatimynagle View Post
i glad turn hobbits
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 09:32 AM   #9
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttusomeone View Post
At some point in the movie they make a very quick reference to it spreading so quickly through air travel. Also, when he was at the army base in South Korea they mentioned it took 10 minutes for someone to turn after they were bitten so I guess as it spread the time shortened. Still somewhat unrealistic that it could spread that quickly, but then again this is a fictional movie.

Also, everyone that was forced off the ship was being taken to the free zone. That's how Brad Pitt's character found out where they were - the UN guy said they were taken to the safe zone. Even though it was a safe zone, it is likely not as safe as a ship in the middle of the ocean which is why it was a big deal having to leave.

Overall I thought it was a good movie, but you could definitely get caught up on the physics around how the zombies act. Then again, I remind myself that zombies aren't real today so you can only compare it with what past movies/shows have done. Having them do something different didn't have a negative effect on my experience.
If it took ten mins to turn after someone was bitten then how did they board the airplanes?
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 09:39 AM   #10
ttusomeone
Senior Member
 
ttusomeone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Bikes:
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
If it took ten mins to turn after someone was bitten then how did they board the airplanes?
I agree that's where the story feel apart some for me, but then again if it wasn't a global disaster then the movie plot doesn't work. The bottom line it's a zombie movie and you have to suspend disbelief like you do for most fictional movies like this.
ttusomeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 10:18 AM   #11
Bikedued
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 10,886
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
If it took ten mins to turn after someone was bitten then how did they board the airplanes?
Maybe they had some zicam in their pocket? Seriously, why all of a sudden are zombies SO hugely popular. I even bought a multi impact helmet a year or two ago, for skateboarding, and lo and behold, it had zombies painted on it. Word to the wise, when they show Protec helmets on some websites they tend to show the side with no graphics.,,,,BD
__________________
So many bikes, so little dime.
Bikedued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 10:18 AM   #12
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!
 
ilikebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"
Bikes: to many to list
Posts: 6,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought it was pretty cool, even liked it enough that I will add it to my BlueRay collection when its released. I guess I like it 'cause I went into the theater with my mind washed clear of the book and watched it for what it was.
__________________
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
ilikebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 10:27 AM   #13
TampaRaleigh
Senior Member
 
TampaRaleigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttusomeone View Post
At some point in the movie they make a very quick reference to it spreading so quickly through air travel. Also, when he was at the army base in South Korea they mentioned it took 10 minutes for someone to turn after they were bitten so I guess as it spread the time shortened.
This. I assumed that the "incubation time" was quickly shortening. If you recall, they said something about it being impossible to know for sure where the first infection was. The incubation time for the first infection might have been 10 days, or 10 hours. Each subsequent infection may have gotten faster and faster.
TampaRaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 10:31 AM   #14
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!
 
ilikebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"
Bikes: to many to list
Posts: 6,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
Anyone see World War Z? I did and I hated it. I am a big zombie far too.


Hopefully I will not give away too much of the plot.




My main issue with the flick is that is is so improbable. A disease that manifests itself that quickly and is as fatal is usually confined to a small region. It really never has a chance to spread. Granted this particular disease is not really fatal but unless I missed something they never explained how the disease was able to cross continents. I mean if you worked at the Korean version of the TSA, would you allow a zombie to board the plane? I suppose stowaways but you would think they would be discovered too. And a potential stowaway would have to be bitten just before boarding. I think they would have been able to confine the spread of the disease to a region if not at least a continent.
When people are trying to get away from anything that is as huge as this type of "infection" they get away however they can, including boats. Lets say a boat full of Koreans (with an infected person aboard) made it from point A to point B, well now you have a boat full of infected people at point B. and that scenario can go on unchecked for a good while.
Another thing that they failed to explain is how Brad Pitt's character's family made it to the free zone after being banned form the ship.
They weren't "banned" from the ship, any and all non essential personnel were flown to the "safe" free zone.
Plus a big inconsistency like the zombies are super fast and can jump great distances except in a situation where the main characters could be attacked.
Incorrect, they were only as fast as humans, and they could not jump great distances, at least I didn't see any "super zombies" their strength was in numbers.
The portrayal of the close up shots of the zombies was almost comical. Not frightening at all. The Walking Dead does a much better job of that. The Wlaking Dead also got it right in how they handled the concept of zombies, they had never existed before, even in fantasy. The Walking Dead does have a better looking zombie but they also have slow zombies, a slow zombie infection would be the easiest of all to stop, it wouldn't spread fast at all, and would be confined VERY easily.

Over all I think this movie is a dud. Might make an OK Red Box movie.
You'll find my replies to your post in bold above.
__________________
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Last edited by ilikebikes; 07-08-13 at 10:38 AM.
ilikebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 10:48 AM   #15
RaleighSport 
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I haven't read the book or seen the movie but I did read an article about and it told me this, they only share the name in common and having zombies. The book sounds like something worth reading, the movie sounds like a waste of time.
__________________
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 11:06 AM   #16
Wilfred Laurier
Seņor Member
 
Wilfred Laurier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 3,931
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
list of acceptable zombie apocalypse movies

night of the living dead
shawn of the dead
zombieland

that is all
Wilfred Laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 11:17 AM   #17
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
how does this movie end? happy?
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 11:56 AM   #18
skijor 
on by
 
skijor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT
Posts: 926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier View Post
list of acceptable zombie apocalypse movies

night of the living dead
shawn of the dead
zombieland
dawn of the dead (2004)
28 days later
28 weeks later
dead snow

that is all
fify
skijor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 08:54 PM   #19
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!
 
ilikebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"
Bikes: to many to list
Posts: 6,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
I haven't read the book or seen the movie but I did read an article about and it told me this, they only share the name in common and having zombies. The book sounds like something worth reading, the movie sounds like a waste of time.
The book is def worth reading, I read it 5 times. The movie is worth watching too. Is it great? depends on the person watching. I liked it, I thought it was good. Why take the word of someone that knows nothing about your likes and dislikes tell you what movies you should or shouldn't watch? Anyways **** it, don't watch it. I guess some people love being told what to do.
__________________
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
ilikebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 09:05 PM   #20
Shimagnolo
Senior Member
 
Shimagnolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zang's Spur, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 7,709
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skijor View Post
So Brad Pitt should stick to scalpin' Nat-zees?
"You know, fightin' zombies in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement!"
Shimagnolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 09:40 PM   #21
RaleighSport 
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebikes View Post
The book is def worth reading, I read it 5 times. The movie is worth watching too. Is it great? depends on the person watching. I liked it, I thought it was good. Why take the word of someone that knows nothing about your likes and dislikes tell you what movies you should or shouldn't watch? Anyways **** it, don't watch it. I guess some people love being told what to do.
Like most movies I will eventually see it, I just find it disparaging how much they gut books to make movies. His review wasn't really as much a review as a comparison between the two, and like I said the book sounded like it was worth reading.
__________________
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 09:48 PM   #22
Amesja
Cottered Crank
 
Amesja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago
Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3
Posts: 3,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Saw the trailer. Looked fancy with great graphics but just platform for Pitt to be doing some zombie killin'.

Figured it would be like watching someone play some really neato video game. Sure the graphics are amazing and the carnage and special effects super cool. Lots of folks get chomped and the zombies apparently were each given "autonomy" to move around and do their thing on auto-pilot. Just chase the humans on the screen. Pretty neat.

But a video game is boring to watch when someone else is playing and that's pretty much what it seems like this "movie" would be like watching.

Things like plot, dialog, acting, interactions...like in a real move? Not so much.
Amesja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 11:06 PM   #23
tuxbailey
Senior Member
 
tuxbailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Columbia, MD
Bikes: 2005 Merlin Extralight - 2001 Jamis Ventura - 1990 Specialized Hard Rock (with original tires) - Burley D'Lite Double for my kid
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesja View Post

But a video game is boring to watch when someone else is playing and that's pretty much what it seems like this "movie" would be like watching.

Things like plot, dialog, acting, interactions...like in a real move? Not so much.
Don't be so sure. If you know someone who has a PS3, you ought to watch someone play the game "Heavy Rain" from a few years ago or the recently released "Last of Us." I think you could find that you could fully immerse into a game like a movie, except that it is interactive where the players drive the plot.

Also, the maker of Heavy Rain is releasing "Beyond: 2 Souls" at the end of the tear with Ellen Page and Willem DaFoe doing the voice acting. The lines between games and movies are going into a merging path.

http://beyondps3.com/

Last edited by tuxbailey; 07-08-13 at 11:15 PM.
tuxbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 12:29 AM   #24
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: normal heights-san diego, ca
Bikes: come and get 'em
Posts: 2,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skijor View Post
fify
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
list of acceptable zombie apocalypse movies

night of the living dead
shawn of the dead
zombieland
dawn of the dead (2004)
28 days later
28 weeks later
dead snow


that is all


...you forgot zombie strippers​...
ooga-booga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 11:15 AM   #25
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,359
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
It's a fun Summer action/adventure/zombie movie. That's the best I can say about it. Like a good beach book. Long on entertainment, short on substance.
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 AM.