Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-27-13, 07:27 PM   #51
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by windhchaser View Post
my mom died on Christmas day of lung cancer stay away from smokeing you dont want to leave ya family
Sorry to hear such a thing.. I am doing my best to stay off of it.
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-13, 07:45 PM   #52
ahsposo 
Tuetonic Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Stalag 13
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,064
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoPumpkin View Post
I understand the addiction to the nicotine, but I was being serious not snarky when I asked the question. Does it make you less mad, sad, etc. When you smoke?
I know you were, and like the OP answered it does.

Like sitting down with friends, or the TV (depending on your personality), and having a few beers. Yeah. It would make you "re-assess" the the situation and move on.

Smoking tobacco is a complex thing. For some of us it can be physically addictive but also a OCD kind of thing.

I watched an old Lauren Bacall/Humphrey Bogart movie a few nights ago. When Lauren Bacall lit up, inhaled and blew that smoke out I wanted a cigarette so BAD it it hurt!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelmatimynagle View Post
i glad turn hobbits
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-13, 07:56 PM   #53
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Best of luck to all of you going through withdrawal symptoms right now. Sending good vibes that you have the strength to persevere and make it through the tough early days.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 05:58 AM   #54
MangoPumpkin 
Cool Beans
 
MangoPumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lancaster County, PA
Bikes: Raleigh Cadent
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good morning! Just checking on you. Hopefully you are feeling better. We are here if you want to vent!

I bet you smell really nice today!
__________________
I've got your restraining order right here. [grabs crotch] Restrain this!
MangoPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 07:25 AM   #55
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Good morning I am feeling better emotionally but now some really bad back pain has taken over... not sure if it is the cigarette or just exhaustion per se. I'd rather be in pain than be unhappy so I feel lucky today.

Thanks all for the support!
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 08:50 AM   #56
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Way to Go!!!! You can do this!!! Hope the pain fades.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 10:07 AM   #57
ShoreCyclist 
Senior Member
 
ShoreCyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Eastern Shore of MD
Bikes:
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just saw this thread and decided to quit this morning. This thread is the closest thing I've got to a support group... Lots of great info and war stories here. Thanks...
__________________
2006 Ridley TT Team Issue; 2013 Felt DA4; 1981 Bianchi Campione; 1969 Bianchi Record; 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile; 1972 Gitane Super Corsa; 1977 Pinarello Special: 1997 Rockhopper; Bianchi Cortina; 2009 Jamis Sputnik
ShoreCyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 10:33 AM   #58
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout
 
crtreedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Costa Rica
Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
I quit back when I was 21 - due to a rather cute girl saying I didn't have the will power to quit. We have now been married for nearly 34 years. So .... , you ain't man enough to quit, all you wusses.... (I am hiding out in Costa Rica so I can get away with this )

Seriously, she is allergic to tobacco smoke, so I had to choose. I am very happy I chose her.

I hate the idea that I would be too weak to stop doing anything. Recently I cut back on coffee, I am amazed on how easy it was compared to giving up tobacco. Now I just have two cups a day, down from 5.
crtreedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 10:49 AM   #59
MangoPumpkin 
Cool Beans
 
MangoPumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lancaster County, PA
Bikes: Raleigh Cadent
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
Good morning I am feeling better emotionally but now some really bad back pain has taken over... not sure if it is the cigarette or just exhaustion per se. I'd rather be in pain than be unhappy so I feel lucky today.

Thanks all for the support!
You're welcome!!!! I'm thinking the back pain is due to the exhaustion. Mine gets that way when I'm stressed. You are working half way throug another smokeless day! Wooo Hoooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoreCyclist View Post
Just saw this thread and decided to quit this morning. This thread is the closest thing I've got to a support group... Lots of great info and war stories here. Thanks...
That is AWESOME!!! Welcome to the non-smoker's club

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
I quit back when I was 21 - due to a rather cute girl saying I didn't have the will power to quit. We have now been married for nearly 34 years. So .... , you ain't man enough to quit, all you wusses.... (I am hiding out in Costa Rica so I can get away with this )

Seriously, she is allergic to tobacco smoke, so I had to choose. I am very happy I chose her.

I hate the idea that I would be too weak to stop doing anything. Recently I cut back on coffee, I am amazed on how easy it was compared to giving up tobacco. Now I just have two cups a day, down from 5.
Do you feel better on lesser caffeine?
__________________
I've got your restraining order right here. [grabs crotch] Restrain this!
MangoPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 11:02 AM   #60
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Good to see others are jumping in the WAGON! Lets keep it going !!!

Also, just decided to do something that will probably hold me off from smoking. I registered for a century sept 21 . I am most likely going to sign up for my first Criterium on sept 28 and then sign up for a 3 gap ride on sept 29th. That will be intense so NO SMOKING FOR ME.... NOPE NOPE!
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 11:07 AM   #61
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout
 
crtreedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Costa Rica
Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoPumpkin View Post
Do you feel better on lesser caffeine?
Yes I do, less of a roller coaster. Now I have one cup in the morning, and then another about one in the afternoon. I was actually getting tired of coffee. I do have tea about 9 am as well.
crtreedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 12:22 PM   #62
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
Yes I do, less of a roller coaster. Now I have one cup in the morning, and then another about one in the afternoon. I was actually getting tired of coffee. I do have tea about 9 am as well.
My brain can't even wrap itself around this statement.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 03:47 PM   #63
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka
 
StupidlyBrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Central PA
Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
StupidlyBrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 06:24 PM   #64
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay new non-smokers, now we need to know what cool bike swag you're going to get with all of the money you used to spend on cigarettes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 07:23 PM   #65
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
Okay new non-smokers, now we need to know what cool bike swag you're going to get with all of the money you used to spend on cigarettes.
A power meter and some race fees since I'll be able to do some with my new lungs!
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 08:18 PM   #66
windhchaser 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes: Felt nine flow
Posts: 586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
im very proud of you all who are quiting. u will save lots of money and live longer and better
windhchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 08:43 PM   #67
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I think that one thing smokers buy into is people saying how hard it is to quit.

It isn't.

Just do it.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 05:56 AM   #68
MangoPumpkin 
Cool Beans
 
MangoPumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lancaster County, PA
Bikes: Raleigh Cadent
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
I think that one thing smokers buy into is people saying how hard it is to quit.

It isn't.

Just do it.
Preach it!!!!!

Good Morning Non-Smokers!!!! How are you guys making out today? I've been thinking about you and sending good vibes that you can make it (although I know you can). Let's hope today is another non-smoking day!!!!
__________________
I've got your restraining order right here. [grabs crotch] Restrain this!
MangoPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 06:06 AM   #69
Notgrownup
Senior Member
 
Notgrownup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Snow Hill NC
Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1
Posts: 869
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, this is a little winded but it's my QUIT story...
I have been smoke free for about 12 years now...I am 48 and had smoke since i was about 12 years old...Yeah..12...So needless to say, that was a long time...I tried a few times for girlfrinds and such and lasted for a month or so but always went back...When i finally quit it was because i WANTED to...I didn't feel bad or cough or anything like that but had a little tightness in the chest...The next morning i had 4 smokes lefty in my Marlboro light pack at 10 o'clock break...Smoked 2 then my friend Amy says, You comin in? i said No, i have 2 smokes left, i am smoking them and then i am quitting...She says YEAH RIGHT...Haven't touched one since...It's funny but i never knew what being smoke free felt like since i had smoked since 12 years old and it felt great... Driving was my biggest demon at 2 packs a day....... i stayed on the road for work 5 days at a time, i hate like 5 boxes of toothpicks!!!! LOL.... Anybody can do it if i can a
Notgrownup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 08:17 AM   #70
trsidn 
Soggy Member
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Pertinent article by Kirk Douglas

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kirk-d...b_3832949.html
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio View Post
.... Other than being completely wrong, you're correct.
trsidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 08:28 AM   #71
MangoPumpkin 
Cool Beans
 
MangoPumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lancaster County, PA
Bikes: Raleigh Cadent
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awesome, quote from that article:

'I thought of my father. Years ago, the doctor told him, "Harry, if you continue to smoke you will die." My father stopped smoking immediately. Here's how he did it: He carried one cigarette in his breast pocket. When he had the urge to smoke he took out the cigarette, stared at it, and in his Russian accent he roared "Who's stronger, you -- me? I stronger!" He put the cigarette back in his breast pocket and never smoked again.'
__________________
I've got your restraining order right here. [grabs crotch] Restrain this!
MangoPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 08:39 AM   #72
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notgrownup View Post
Sorry, this is a little winded but it's my QUIT story...
I have been smoke free for about 12 years now...I am 48 and had smoke since i was about 12 years old...Yeah..12...So needless to say, that was a long time...I tried a few times for girlfrinds and such and lasted for a month or so but always went back...When i finally quit it was because i WANTED to...I didn't feel bad or cough or anything like that but had a little tightness in the chest...The next morning i had 4 smokes lefty in my Marlboro light pack at 10 o'clock break...Smoked 2 then my friend Amy says, You comin in? i said No, i have 2 smokes left, i am smoking them and then i am quitting...She says YEAH RIGHT...Haven't touched one since...It's funny but i never knew what being smoke free felt like since i had smoked since 12 years old and it felt great... Driving was my biggest demon at 2 packs a day....... i stayed on the road for work 5 days at a time, i hate like 5 boxes of toothpicks!!!! LOL.... Anybody can do it if i can a
That is right! You gotta do it for yourself and nobody else! It helps telling everyone you are quitting so you feel like you cant fail them too . Me, I stopped for rational reasons like saving money, improving my lung capacity to ride my bike etc. I really didnt care much about the health hazard aspect but for me its an extra knowing that I just added a few years to my life .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoPumpkin View Post
Preach it!!!!!

Good Morning Non-Smokers!!!! How are you guys making out today? I've been thinking about you and sending good vibes that you can make it (although I know you can). Let's hope today is another non-smoking day!!!!
Good morning mango! Feeling great. Don't think about it that much anymore. Have been digging into the coffee pot a little more but I guess we can't be 100% clean but as clean as we can be. Also, still walk downstairs to get a breath of fresh air but instead of smoking I grab a banana sit down and enjoy it. I've even went to the smoking zone with my boss just to have a chat without smoking. I'm quite impressed at how good it's going. Never thought i'd be able to do it.
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 08:41 AM   #73
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzFanatic View Post
Still clean too. Driving is the absolute worst without smokes, right? I had a pretty horrible few-hour long craving this morning, but it has mostly subsided. I've just been thinking about all the benefits and whatnot, and it's helped a ton. I feel like even my complexion is looking better already.

And personally, I think most of the stop-smoking aids like gum and patches are kind of a scam... But it definitely depends on the person. I just knew I'd be better off just quitting, getting the physical part over with, and trying to forget about it.
Hey buddy still off? Havent heard from you here. Hope you are doing good. it has been a hard couple of days, havent they?
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 09:20 AM   #74
MangoPumpkin 
Cool Beans
 
MangoPumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lancaster County, PA
Bikes: Raleigh Cadent
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
I've even went to the smoking zone with my boss just to have a chat without smoking. I'm quite impressed at how good it's going. Never thought i'd be able to do it.
Now that's an accomplishment!!! Keep on doing what you're doing, it's working! Way to go man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
Hey buddy still off? Havent heard from you here. Hope you are doing good. it has been a hard couple of days, havent they?
I heard bad news from him. He needs encouragement!!!
__________________
I've got your restraining order right here. [grabs crotch] Restrain this!
MangoPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 09:26 AM   #75
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoPumpkin View Post

I heard bad news from him. He needs encouragement!!!

Well I have to say it aint easy! If it wasnt for the crazy amount of stuff ive been doing to keep myself occupied I've probably would have gone back to it. I do think that at this point I'll be fine. Still crave it thought just less intense.
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:45 PM.