Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. #1
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What equipment do you use to look after your yard???

    Moved onto an acreage recently. My wife and I are partial to John Deere equipment (she grew up on a Section size farm with JD equipment), so we picked up this stuff to look after our yard ... unfortunately I found out I had to actually operate the stuff myself Good thing the tractor came with a beer cup holder

    snowblower - push behind.jpgsnowblower2.jpgTiller.jpgTractor 1.jpgUtility Cart.jpgpower bagger.jpg

  2. #2
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,047
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I had a JD self propelled mower that was a big disappointment to me. Briggs engine was a POS and the deck and drive train were close seconds. Paid over $600 for it and I got a good 10 years out of it, but had to jury rig it to keep it running and mowing and it would not handle tall or wet grass.

    Switched to a Honda powered Honda mower and have been very pleased. Three seasons with no complaints. Starts on one or two pulls every time. Sharpen the blade and change the oil is all I ever do.

    Other items are an MTD Briggs powered edger, a Ryobi string trimmer and an Echo blower. Again, all work well and I just do regular seasonal maintenance.

    These days, I think adding the ethanol reducing stuff and Stabil and Lucas to the fuel accounts for my ease of start, etc. Make sure to drain gas and run dry at end of season.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  3. #3
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    POSAW
    My Bikes
    Bicycles ? We don' need no steenkin' bicycles.
    Posts
    4,819
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    .........you actually posted a thread here asking guys to describe their "equipment" ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Dvorin
    Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has left the building. Thank you and goodnight

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    My Bikes
    1995 Specialized design Full Force
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as motorized equipment, a crappy new craftsman lawn tractor, briggs and stratton self-propelled push mower for the tough areas, a gas leaf blower and trimmer. Since moving back in with the parents I've been put in charge of most of it since I'm going to school for horticulture. Hand tools are what I mostly use though. The ornamental garden is a bi*** to keep looking good. Small tomato garden, about 10 plants... Though I'll be expanding that significantly next year probably.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Carlyle, IL
    My Bikes
    2013 Trek 7.3, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1967 AMF Hercules
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a lot of lawn, garden, and tractor equipment. If you buy a John Deere, buy it from a Deere dealer. The Lowes and HD versions don't match up to a true Deere.

    For lawn care I would recommend skipping over the consumer grade stuff and just go with a commercial brand... Deere would be included. Otherwise, Scag, Exmark, Grasshopper or Dixie Chopper would be excellent options for lawn mowing... especially for acre sized lawns.

    Zero turns rule lawn mowing tasks.

    if you want some other utility, then stay with a JD lawn and garden tractor and buy the attachments you desire.

    I can't stand MTD and the name brand L/G tractors they produce, i.e Cub Cadet, White, etc.

    FTR: I own a Scag zero turn, a JD ??280, a New Holland Boomer 33 hp Diesel with a 6 foot Brush hog finish mower. I have owned several Cub Cadets and a vintage Allis Chalmers 620 compact utilitity tractor ca1972 model.

    i am getting ready to trade the boomer in for a30-3nhp John Deere.

    nothing runs like Deer...

  6. #6
    A tiny member bikeguyinvenice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Venice, Florida, U.S.A.
    My Bikes
    late 90's Trek 720 Muti-Track
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My equipment: 1 goat to keep the majority of the lawn short and an inexpensive Ryobi 18v trimmer.
    Just kidding about the goat, just an old lawn boy from about 15 years ago and the Ryobi, it all still works, personally I'd just like to plant some natural tall native grasses and let it just grow to it's natural length,but doubtful that would go over well with the neighbors.
    My cycling blog http://kcmjr.wordpress.com/
    "Normal" is just a setting on a washing machine.

  7. #7
    Juicy, Sweet Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Out of the Patch, In your Face
    My Bikes
    My All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,336
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I feel so inadequate.

    I have a push reel mower, an electric edger and an electric trimmer. A tiny little electric leaf blower (hangs head in shame) and I have manual hedge trimmers and broadcast what fertilizer I use by hand.

    I don't even own a chainsaw...
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    This reminds me why I never go into road...........thanks guys.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Nanaimo.B.C. The We't coast of Canada
    Posts
    1,285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a straight shaft string trimmer rather than a curved shaft one, there are more attachments for them, at least around here. Can you fit a bucket to the tractor?

  9. #9
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Deere look after my yard. I'm not sure if his name is John though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  10. #10
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R230, S-Works Epic, Bianchi Speciale, Tricross Expert
    Posts
    4,127
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a city lot so just a self propelled JD mower. The model I bought has a Japanese motor (maybe Suzuki) and after 20 years of operation, it still starts on the first pull. The catcher is too small and as jsharr said, it isn't the best deck design wet or long grass.
    Ionnsaich aig casan latha an-d, bi be airson latha an-diugh, bi an dchas airson latha a-maireach.

  11. #11
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,038
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in an apartment. I have a yard crew who arrive magically every Wednesday morning at 8am. They make a lot of noise and then go away at about 11 am.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  12. #12
    Juicy, Sweet Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Out of the Patch, In your Face
    My Bikes
    My All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,336
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    Oh, I know. I should be given permission to use that as a sig...

    I'm so ashamed.

    My late father will visit me in a dream tonight to berate me for being so metro...
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    This reminds me why I never go into road...........thanks guys.

  13. #13
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R230, S-Works Epic, Bianchi Speciale, Tricross Expert
    Posts
    4,127
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    I live in an apartment. I have a yard crew who arrive magically every Wednesday morning at 8am. They make a lot of noise and then go away at about 11 am.
    I use those when I am out of town. They are awesome.
    Ionnsaich aig casan latha an-d, bi be airson latha an-diugh, bi an dchas airson latha a-maireach.

  14. #14
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    I had a JD self propelled mower that was a big disappointment to me. Briggs engine was a POS and the deck and drive train were close seconds. Paid over $600 for it and I got a good 10 years out of it, but had to jury rig it to keep it running and mowing and it would not handle tall or wet grass.

    Switched to a Honda powered Honda mower and have been very pleased. Three seasons with no complaints. Starts on one or two pulls every time. Sharpen the blade and change the oil is all I ever do.

    Other items are an MTD Briggs powered edger, a Ryobi string trimmer and an Echo blower. Again, all work well and I just do regular seasonal maintenance.

    These days, I think adding the ethanol reducing stuff and Stabil and Lucas to the fuel accounts for my ease of start, etc. Make sure to drain gas and run dry at end of season.
    You know, I have an 22 year old mower with a B&S engine ... and it still starts after the first pull. I make sure I clean the air filter a few times per summer, and replace the oil every spring. Other than that, I do no other maintenance. I bought it for a couple hundred bucks at a Home Hardware store. Love that machine!!!

  15. #15
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGM411 View Post
    I own a lot of lawn, garden, and tractor equipment. If you buy a John Deere, buy it from a Deere dealer. The Lowes and HD versions don't match up to a true Deere.

    For lawn care I would recommend skipping over the consumer grade stuff and just go with a commercial brand... Deere would be included. Otherwise, Scag, Exmark, Grasshopper or Dixie Chopper would be excellent options for lawn mowing... especially for acre sized lawns.

    Zero turns rule lawn mowing tasks.

    if you want some other utility, then stay with a JD lawn and garden tractor and buy the attachments you desire.

    I can't stand MTD and the name brand L/G tractors they produce, i.e Cub Cadet, White, etc.

    FTR: I own a Scag zero turn, a JD ??280, a New Holland Boomer 33 hp Diesel with a 6 foot Brush hog finish mower. I have owned several Cub Cadets and a vintage Allis Chalmers 620 compact utilitity tractor ca1972 model.

    i am getting ready to trade the boomer in for a30-3nhp John Deere.

    nothing runs like Deer...
    Yeah, the JD lawn tractors you get at Home Depot are basically their disposable models. I bought the tractor at a JD dealership, and made sure I got one that had hydraulics to operate the snowblower and rototiller.

  16. #16
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    I feel so inadequate.

    I have a push reel mower, an electric edger and an electric trimmer. A tiny little electric leaf blower (hangs head in shame) and I have manual hedge trimmers and broadcast what fertilizer I use by hand.

    I don't even own a chainsaw...
    For smaller lawns, there's nothing better than a push reel mower. They do a great job.

  17. #17
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    Get a straight shaft string trimmer rather than a curved shaft one, there are more attachments for them, at least around here. Can you fit a bucket to the tractor?
    Not a bucket, but a shovel.

  18. #18
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    .........you actually posted a thread here asking guys to describe their "equipment" ?
    Ummm ... apparently I did. Thanks for not posting pics!

  19. #19
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    POSAW
    My Bikes
    Bicycles ? We don' need no steenkin' bicycles.
    Posts
    4,819
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    004.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post

    I don't even own a chainsaw...
    ........I have one left over from when I used to heat with wood. I only mow when
    the grass gets to where i start to lose sight of the front walk, so I may need the
    chainsaw sometime soon if it gets any higher.

    I do have a couple of mowers, one a repurposed Snapper that I fitted with a Honda
    replacement engine and set up to mulch, and probably my favorite mower of all time,
    an old Honda electric plug in with a bag/catcher and a plastic deck.

    I fully 'spect that one will still be going when I die.

    A lot of my lawn is actually home orchard, so I guess the pole pruners, ladders, and
    general saws and shovels need mentioning.

    Valentine Flowers and Fruit 009.jpg

    And I use a boatload of rotted cow manure every year, so I guess I ought to mention
    my gratitude to the local feed lots.............need **** to grow ****, as they say.
    Last edited by 3alarmer; 09-22-13 at 07:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Dvorin
    Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has left the building. Thank you and goodnight

  20. #20
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty soon I'll be using this:

    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  21. #21
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WB ... there's few things in life that are as satisfying as snowblowing the driveway.

  22. #22
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    POSAW
    My Bikes
    Bicycles ? We don' need no steenkin' bicycles.
    Posts
    4,819
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Dvorin
    Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has left the building. Thank you and goodnight

  23. #23
    Senior Member Cache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Metro Exurb
    My Bikes
    1982 Torker BMX, 1990 Cannondale Black Lightning, 1996 Cannondale F400
    Posts
    447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Deere equip looks nice. Congrats on the acreage. Can't wait to get rid of mine...

    Sutech Stealth 33" Commercial (model name, not a description) with Gator mulching blades and 13hp Kawasaki. Stripes nicely but you have to manhandle this machine as it has no reverse. 3 Forward speeds, walk, run, hold on to your hat.

    Cheap homelite trimmer with brush cutter blades. A bit dangerous but gets the job done.

    Tanaka backpack blower. 200+ CFM, made in Japan where quality still matters. Smooth running, my favorite yard machine.

    Crafstman 18" elec chain saw and a Cheap chinese 14" elec from harbor freight

    Honda 11hp snow thrower with tank type treads. Necessary for my steep driveway. Love this machine too when I'm not replacing blade bolts.

    MIA: Florian ratching pole saw

    A hodge podge but it gets the job done.

    Wish list: hydrostatic mower, anything bigger than 33" would be nice...
    Last edited by Cache; 09-23-13 at 07:57 AM.

  24. #24
    Banned. ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  25. #25
    smorenivore colorider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    My Bikes
    '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just replaced my ancient Toro with a new Toro recycler and have been very happy with it so far. Also have a Toro gas-powered trimmer which has served me well. The McCulloch 16" chainsaw hasn't seen much use since I moved to CO but it worked fine when needed.
    One does not simply ride their bike into Mordor! - electrik

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •