Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-13, 03:47 PM   #1
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"
Thread Starter
 
chewybrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: East Florida
Bikes: '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Signs that end times are near

At my small local library today, I search the e-catalog:

'existentialism' returned one hit: Dr. Phil !

Clearly, a society that would allow this result can not last long...

I ended up with: "Secretariat", "Cycling past 50" (hope to be in a few years), and "Wealth of Nations".

I have jury duty tomorrow, and a terrible premonition of sitting in a room doing nothing for hours.
__________________
Campione Del Mondo Immaginario
chewybrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 03:56 PM   #2
bikeguyinvenice
A tiny member
 
bikeguyinvenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Riverview, Florida, U.S.A.
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Allez
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewybrian View Post
I ended up with: "Secretariat", "Cycling past 50" (hope to be in a few years), and "Wealth of Nations".

I have jury duty tomorrow, and a terrible premonition of sitting in a room doing nothing for hours.
Well anything to make jury duty more tolerable. Personally I get out of jury duty every time I get called for it. Plus I don't think I would make a good juror anyway, I would want to play lawyer too much and want to ask witness questions.
bikeguyinvenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 03:56 PM   #3
trsidn 
Meadow Party Member
 
trsidn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Maybe you could bring in 'Game of Thrones'?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio View Post
.... Other than being completely wrong, you're correct.
trsidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 04:10 PM   #4
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeguyinvenice View Post
Plus I don't think I would make a good juror anyway, I would want to play lawyer too much and want to ask witness questions.
I am a trial lawyer. This is every trial lawyer's worst nightmare.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 04:24 PM   #5
GP 
Senior Member
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 7,575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
I am a trial lawyer. This is every trial lawyer's worst nightmare.
I was on jury duty once and when they asked us questions one woman said that she was a union steward for the local transit district and was known as "a poor man's lawyer". She explained that she had been to several legal seminars and gave legal advice to the bus drivers. She made it onto the jury and then volunteered to be the jury foreman. After a few hours deliberating we were ready to kill her.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 05:50 PM   #6
ahsposo 
Big Blubbery Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On a floe
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Anybody that would 'volunteer' to be a jury foreman should evicted as insane.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelmatimynagle View Post
i glad turn hobbits
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 05:52 PM   #7
ahsposo 
Big Blubbery Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On a floe
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Oh, back to the OP; I thought the backlash against iOS7 was kind of a clue.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelmatimynagle View Post
i glad turn hobbits
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 09:19 PM   #8
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I was on jury duty once and when they asked us questions one woman said that she was a union steward for the local transit district and was known as "a poor man's lawyer". She explained that she had been to several legal seminars and gave legal advice to the bus drivers. She made it onto the jury and then volunteered to be the jury foreman. After a few hours deliberating we were ready to kill her.
I have heard similar horror stories. When a person is too eager to get into a jury panel it is time to boot him/her out.

It is important to chose jurors who will work well together as a group. Otherwise all Hell can break loose.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 09:58 PM   #9
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I was on jury duty once and when they asked us questions one woman said that she was a union steward for the local transit district and was known as "a poor man's lawyer". She explained that she had been to several legal seminars and gave legal advice to the bus drivers. She made it onto the jury and then volunteered to be the jury foreman.
One time on jury duty, they were down to choosing the last alternate juror. A nice little old lady was next to me. When she got called, she said that she felt that the defendant would not have been arrested if he wasn't guilty. She got excused. I didn't have anything to top that. So I got to spend a couple of days doing my civic duty.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 12:25 AM   #10
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"
Thread Starter
 
chewybrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: East Florida
Bikes: '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Oh, back to the OP; I thought the backlash against iOS7 was kind of a clue.
Hmmm...I don't know what that is, nor what backlash it caused--some kind of I-phone thing?

I think reality tv is a bad sign. I see a show I thought was insultingly stupid years ago that might now be the best choice available as a re-run going up against the new junk. Even History, Discovery, Learning channels are all showing rednecks yelling at each other.

I'm watching Jack Benny right now, and it towers over most of today's comedy shows.
__________________
Campione Del Mondo Immaginario
chewybrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 12:34 AM   #11
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
One time on jury duty, they were down to choosing the last alternate juror. A nice little old lady was next to me. When she got called, she said that she felt that the defendant would not have been arrested if he wasn't guilty. She got excused. I didn't have anything to top that. So I got to spend a couple of days doing my civic duty.
I have heard many prospective jurors use the same line.

A subtler variant on that is: "where there is smoke there is fire."
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 05:38 AM   #12
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
I have heard similar horror stories. When a person is too eager to get into a jury panel it is time to boot him/her out.

It is important to chose jurors who will work well together as a group. Otherwise all Hell can break loose.
It always struck me as odd that most prospective jurors seem to approach it sort of like a beauty pageant or something. They want to be chosen, just for the sake of being chosen, as if not being chosen is some mark of shame. They would be competitive about it, if they only knew how.

But then I always remember the words of the San Diego juror administrator who advised that even those who are not chosen have done their part by giving the court a larger pool to choose from. That's what I strive for.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 07:03 AM   #13
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Take a copy of "The Law" by Frederic Bastiat.....best way to get out of jury duty ever devised.
Or wear a T-shirt that says "Hang 'em high"
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 07:10 AM   #14
bikeguyinvenice
A tiny member
 
bikeguyinvenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Riverview, Florida, U.S.A.
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Allez
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
Take a copy of "The Law" by Frederic Bastiat.....best way to get out of jury duty ever devised.
Or wear a T-shirt that says "Hang 'em high"
Or wear a T-shirt that says "O.J. was framed!"
bikeguyinvenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 09:46 AM   #15
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 4,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
One advantage of being self employed is being excused from jury duty. I was called, but never selected, in the past and don't feel bad about being excused now.
no motor? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 10:01 AM   #16
bigbenaugust 
derailleurs are overrated
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The last time I was in jury duty, we spent a half-day and change picking jurors, and I wasn't picked. Selection had bogged down into a cultural debate about what constituted child abuse and what didn't and who was a mandatory reporter and who wasn't and probably what the meaning of "is" is... but eventually they had 12 people and the alternates and I went home for the afternoon.

I especially enjoyed the peremptory challenges, where the DA and the defense just throw people out for whatever secret reason they may have.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 12:12 PM   #17
Rootman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Bikes: 2012 Giant Sedona Hybrid
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had heard, though I have no experience with it, that if you make it known that you are a firm proponent of jury nullification they will eliminate you right away.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 12:26 PM   #18
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
The last time I was in jury duty, we spent a half-day and change picking jurors, and I wasn't picked. Selection had bogged down into a cultural debate about what constituted child abuse and what didn't and who was a mandatory reporter and who wasn't and probably what the meaning of "is" is... but eventually they had 12 people and the alternates and I went home for the afternoon.

I especially enjoyed the peremptory challenges, where the DA and the defense just throw people out for whatever secret reason they may have.
Believe it or not, there is a method to our madness when it comes time to exercising peremptory challenges.

From my perspective as a DA, the key to selecting a good jury panel boils down to a simple equation: pick people with real life experience. If you pick people of common sense, who have experience in real life, they will be able to figure out what is going on. I have done well in jury selection, sometimes going against CW, by choosing jurors who will look at the evidence and use their life experience to "get it."

One of the criticisms aimed at the US Supreme Court, is that the justices live in an isolated bubble with no real connection to the lives of every day people. In other words, they lack experience in real life. Same principle applies to jurors deciding a case.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 12:35 PM   #19
bigbenaugust 
derailleurs are overrated
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
Believe it or not, there is a method to our madness when it comes time to exercising peremptory challenges.

From my perspective as a DA, the key to selecting a good jury panel boils down to a simple equation: pick people with real life experience. If you pick people of common sense, who have experience in real life, they will be able to figure out what is going on. I have done well in jury selection, sometimes going against CW, by choosing jurors who will look at the evidence and use their life experience to "get it."

One of the criticisms aimed at the US Supreme Court, is that the justices live in an isolated bubble with no real connection to the lives of every day people. In other words, they lack experience in real life. Same principle applies to jurors deciding a case.
But they didn't even ask anybody anything... they just took one look at the jury and started dismissing people all willy-nilly.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 12:56 PM   #20
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"
Thread Starter
 
chewybrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: East Florida
Bikes: '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
I had heard, though I have no experience with it, that if you make it known that you are a firm proponent of jury nullification they will eliminate you right away.
I am on board. The law can not anticipate all circumstances, and the outcome for everyone should be as fair as possible within the spirit of the law, even if it means stepping outside the lines of the letter of the law in a few cases. Otherwise, just feed the facts into a computer and honor the result. We've moved close to that extreme with all the zero tolerance and mandatory sentences.

I was not even asked to show up today, possibly because of answers on the survey, or perhaps there was a plea bargain, or they filled the jury yesterday. Whatever the reason, I'm off the hook for now.
__________________
Campione Del Mondo Immaginario
chewybrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 01:01 PM   #21
erig007
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 6367 km away from the center of the Earth
Bikes:
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is no need for any jury. You just have to ask the defendant to prove he is a murderer.

the prosecutor: "Did you kill X?"
the defendant:"No"

the prosecutor: "or not?"
the defendant: "No"

the prosecutor: "So you did kill X?"
the defendant: "No"

the prosecutor: "No you didn't or no you did not not kill X?
the defendant: "Yes"

the prosecutor: "So you did kill X?"
the defendant: "No"

the prosecutor: "You've just admitted you did kill X"
the defendant: "No, I haven't"

the prosecutor: "Yes, you have"
the defendant: "No, I haven't"

the prosecutor: "How many people did you kill?
the defendant: "None"

the judge: "Answer by yes or no, please!"
the defendant: "I can't"

the judge: "This isn't an answer"
the defendant: "No, I haven't killed anyone"

the prosecutor: "But you did kill X?"
the defendant: "No"

the prosecutor: "So who is it that you have killed?"
the defendant: "Nobaudie"

the prosecutor: "No further questions"

Last edited by erig007; 09-26-13 at 01:54 PM.
erig007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 01:04 PM   #22
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
But they didn't even ask anybody anything... they just took one look at the jury and started dismissing people all willy-nilly.
There were no initial questions? By the judge? By the attorneys?

That is a bit bizarre.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 01:08 PM   #23
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No matter the situation, be very leary of those that volunteer to lead with out being asked. The best leaders are the reluctant ones. I often say that in order to lead, you must first learn how to follow. Live your sermon, don't preach it.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 01:14 PM   #24
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 4,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
No matter the situation, be very leary of those that volunteer to lead with out being asked. The best leaders are the reluctant ones. I often say that in order to lead, you must first learn how to follow. Live your sermon, don't preach it.
Outside noisy, inside empty has been one of my favorite sayings for years.
no motor? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 01:15 PM   #25
bigbenaugust 
derailleurs are overrated
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
There were no initial questions? By the judge? By the attorneys?

That is a bit bizarre.
I thought it was funny. I want to say they dumped about 5 or so of us that way (out of 40 or whatever) and then went on to the questions.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:54 AM.