Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-13, 05:13 PM   #1
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Forty-six years ago...

On this date, forty-six years ago my family and I arrived in Miami, Florida. We were part of the Freedom Flights. (From the Wiki: From December 1965 to early 1973, under the Johnson and Nixon administrations, the twice daily "Freedom Flights" (Vuelos de la Libertad) from Varadero Beach to Miami were the only way to escape out of Cuba. It became the longest airlift ever to take political refugees and transported 265,297 Cubans to the United States with the help of religious and volunteer agencies. Flights were limited to immediate relatives, with a waiting period anywhere from one to two years..)

The last 46 years have not always been easy, there have been struggles aplenty. But there have been great times as well. In the end, I am thankful to my parents for making the very difficult decision to leave home and bring us to a new land.

I am also thankful to the United States and to the American people for welcoming us into their midst with open and generous arms. The United States is a wonderful country and the American people are a great and generous people. I am glad to call the United States home and I am glad to call the American people my brothers and sisters.

God bless America.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 05:20 PM   #2
zonatandem
Senior Member
 
zonatandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Posts: 10,908
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I echo your appreciation for the USA.
Came to the USA in 1947 from war-torn Europe and 4 years of brutal oppression by the Nazis.
Many Americans do not really know, or appreciate, what they have.
The streets may not be paved with gold and there are a few potholes along the way, but it is the best country I've found to live in.
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 05:22 PM   #3
windhchaser 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes: Felt nine flow
Posts: 586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
my happy azz knows im lucky we been here since the mayflower
windhchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 06:09 PM   #4
ahsposo 
Titanic Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Deep in the North Atlantic
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,073
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Total mongrel here.

Maryland founding fathers and Irish, Scot, Brittany immigrant.

The thing about this country is every new wave wants to keep the next out.

The melting pot is what makes America Great.

OPEN THE BORDERS!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelmatimynagle View Post
i glad turn hobbits
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 06:18 PM   #5
windhchaser 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes: Felt nine flow
Posts: 586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Total mongrel here.

Maryland founding fathers and Irish, Scot, Brittany immigrant.

The thing about this country is every new wave wants to keep the next out.

The melting pot is what makes America Great.

OPEN THE BORDERS!
i agree but more to the fact i want more hot mexican womens to come here
windhchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 06:57 PM   #6
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Soma Smoothie, Miyata City Liner, Specialized FSR Comp, Fuji Professional
Posts: 1,389
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Great story. I assume you are a cyclist as well, thus are OK in my book (grin)

Part of my family came here in the late 1600's and settled central Connecticut. Others were illegal Irish immigrants from Canada. My wife is Greek and Albanian, she thinks, they're the "black sheep" nobody talks about.

This is what's great about this country, bunch of mutts and blue bloods all mixed in from everywhere. I think I read that Brooklyn, NY is the only place on the planet that has citizens (and I use that term by choice) from every country on the planet. Makes for tense moments at times, but it all evens out in the end.
Steve B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 07:00 PM   #7
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!
 
ilikebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"
Bikes: to many to list
Posts: 6,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by windhchaser View Post
my happy azz knows im lucky we been here since the mayflower
You're still an immigrant. Most of us are. Not a bad thing though, not in the least. (just want to make it all clear) I was born in Philly but I'm Puerto Rican, most people think we're not Americans but we are, even the Puerto Ricans born in PR are US citizens. Although I know The USA does some foul **** in other countries I'm SUPER proud to be an American, an American that knows our country does some some foul ****, but a proud American none the less, I can tell you I would die to protect her, and theres no where I'd rather be I can tell you that for sure.
__________________
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
ilikebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 07:08 PM   #8
ahsposo 
Titanic Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Deep in the North Atlantic
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,073
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Green Card basically suck.

OK?

My grand-parents (Some fraction) and great-grand parents (a smaller fraction) didn't have no stinkin' Green Card.

OPEN THE BORDER!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelmatimynagle View Post
i glad turn hobbits
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 07:31 PM   #9
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,962
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
On this date, forty-six years ago my family and I arrived in Miami, Florida. We were part of the Freedom Flights. (From the Wiki: From December 1965 to early 1973, under the Johnson and Nixon administrations, the twice daily "Freedom Flights" (Vuelos de la Libertad) from Varadero Beach to Miami were the only way to escape out of Cuba. It became the longest airlift ever to take political refugees and transported 265,297 Cubans to the United States with the help of religious and volunteer agencies. Flights were limited to immediate relatives, with a waiting period anywhere from one to two years..)

The last 46 years have not always been easy, there have been struggles aplenty. But there have been great times as well. In the end, I am thankful to my parents for making the very difficult decision to leave home and bring us to a new land.

I am also thankful to the United States and to the American people for welcoming us into their midst with open and generous arms. The United States is a wonderful country and the American people are a great and generous people. I am glad to call the United States home and I am glad to call the American people my brothers and sisters.

God bless America.
I was not aware of the "Freedom Flights" from Cuba. I do remember the refugees from Vietnam in the mid-to-late 70's. My church sponsored a couple of families and some of them lived in our house for a while. I can't imagine having to leave your home with nothing but the clothes on your back and move to a new country where you don't speak the language. Those who did it are courageous in my book.


*puts on moderator hat*
Please don't turn this into an overly political thread about border control; I'd hate to have to move it to P&R.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-13, 01:57 PM   #10
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
I was not aware of the "Freedom Flights" from Cuba. I do remember the refugees from Vietnam in the mid-to-late 70's. My church sponsored a couple of families and some of them lived in our house for a while. I can't imagine having to leave your home with nothing but the clothes on your back and move to a new country where you don't speak the language. Those who did it are courageous in my book.


*puts on moderator hat*
Please don't turn this into an overly political thread about border control; I'd hate to have to move it to P&R.
The journey to the USA was easiest on my brother and me. After all, we were kids and kids are quick to pick up new languages and adapt to new living situations.

It was a heck tougher on my parents. I have a great deal of respect and admiration for them for that act alone. I cannot imagine moving to a new country, at their age, without speaking a word of the new language and not knowing what the future had in store.

For me the hardest part (asides from leaving the rest of my extended family behind) was leaving my Chinese-made first bike, my East German model trains and my small library. Which I guess explains why I am now always in pursuit of the n+1 bike, collect large scale German model trains (LGB) and continually surround myself with books.

I love to live in America....America has been very good to my family and me.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 02:29 PM   #11
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
good for you, thanks for sharing.

still in Florida? you know ... when the ocean water level rises, most of Florida is gonna disappear, right? you might wanna migrate North a little, and a little inland ... personally, when I retire I think I'm heading for the hills of NH or VT
rumrunn6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:53 AM.