Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58
  1. #1
    Bike hoarder. Murray Missile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    700 Ft. above sea level.
    My Bikes
    Too many according to my wife.
    Posts
    726
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Driving and cel phoone rant.

    OK, this probably won't translate well to the written word but I had a rather comical but sad experience a couple weeks ago while driving home from work. I use back roads as much as possible to avoid traffic, I was on a County Hwy. and pulled up to a stop sign at a State Hwy. where cross traffic does not stop and is traveling 55 MPH. There was a woman in a mini-van on the other side waiting to turn left and she CLEARLY had the right of way once cross traffic cleared. She also had 2 other vehicles waiting behind her. She was having a fairly animated conversation on her cel phone and was not paying attention to what was going on outside her little "bubble". Cross traffic cleared and she sat there, she looked over at me and I held my hands up, palm up and mouthed "It's YOUR turn." She gave me a very irritated look, held her phone away from her ear so I could see it and mouthed back at me, "I'M ON THE PHONE!" She then made her turn, glaring at me and shaking her head like I was the idiot. It was at that point I abandoned all hope for the human race.

    (Yeah, I noticed I misspelled "phone" in the title after it was too late. )

  2. #2
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    23,050
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good one. "I'm on the phone" sheesh... you should have motioned back like you had a steering wheel as if to say "you are driving!"

    Yup some folks just don't get it. Sadly some of those folks are here on BF and will challenge anybody that declares that cell phones and driving don't mix.

  3. #3
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,343
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Years ago, I came upon an accident that had just occurred, and stopped to give a hand. On a country road, a lady in a BMW had done a rapid left turn into oncoming traffic and gotten hit by a minivan. That spun the BMW 180 degrees, ejecting the driver, luckily into some soft sand. After helping to push the minivan off the side of the road, I happened to hear the BMW driver describing what happened. "I was dialing a number and the car just WENT OUT OF CONTROL!" That's how she said it.

    I walked over to the other side of the road and sure enough, there was a tire track at the shoulder of the road, just off of the pavement. She had come out of the horse show just down the road and was dialing a number when her car drifted off of the road. She attempted to correct it, but with one wheel in the dirt and about 3" of asphalt to climb back up, she pulled hard on the wheel to get back on the road fast, and the car over-corrected once it was again on the pavement and got traction.

    Smartphones will lead to driverless cars.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  4. #4
    Bike hoarder. Murray Missile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    700 Ft. above sea level.
    My Bikes
    Too many according to my wife.
    Posts
    726
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Years ago, I came upon an accident that had just occurred, and stopped to give a hand. On a country road, a lady in a BMW had done a rapid left turn into oncoming traffic and gotten hit by a minivan. That spun the BMW 180 degrees, ejecting the driver, luckily into some soft sand. After helping to push the minivan off the side of the road, I happened to hear the BMW driver describing what happened. "I was dialing a number and the car just WENT OUT OF CONTROL!" That's how she said it.

    I walked over to the other side of the road and sure enough, there was a tire track at the shoulder of the road, just off of the pavement. She had come out of the horse show just down the road and was dialing a number when her car drifted off of the road. She attempted to correct it, but with one wheel in the dirt and about 3" of asphalt to climb back up, she pulled hard on the wheel to get back on the road fast, and the car over-corrected once it was again on the pavement and got traction.

    Smartphones will lead to driverless cars.
    Saw a similar accident about 10 years ago. I was headed home on a busy 4 lane divided US Hwy., near the intersection with the aforementioned Sate Hwy. and about 3 miles from the County road in my original post in fact! I saw a huge cloud of dust on the oncoming side and cars swerving toward the median. I slowed down and stopped and there was a black Camaro sitting on it's roof on the far shoulder slowly spinning around. Two other driver's had stopped and were running up to it as I got out of the car. They grabbed it and stopped it's slow spin, as soon as it stopped a young woman in a black aerobics outfit came scrambling out of it. I remember what she was wearing quite well because it was skin tight and believe me, she did it justice. I also remember because she had wet herself. She had been talking to her boyfriend on her cel phone and was so absorbed in her conversation that she didn't see a large farm tractor in front of her until she was right on top of it. She swerved into the left lane, went off the pavement and overcorrected to the right. Her tires caught and sent the car over, it landed on it's roof sliding across the road onto the other shoulder and finally stopped slowly spinning on its top. Amazingly she was unscathed except for soiling herself and after all that she still had her boyfriend on the phone! She told everyone he was on the way and would take care of everything, he was a State Cop. I'm pretty sure no tickets were issued. How it was that she never made contact with the tractor or any other cars is anybody's guess.

  5. #5
    Animated Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    That's a joke, ah say, that's a joke, son
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,991
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is what I dread riding my bike.

    I feel it's only a matter of time so I stay well insured. I do hope I am taken out cleanly.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

  6. #6
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,343
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    This is what I dread riding my bike.

    I feel it's only a matter of time so I stay well insured. I do hope I am taken out cleanly.
    It's not just text phones.

    A few days ago I was riding on a busy street. I passed the local American Taekwondo Association school. Out in front they had a couple of very attractive ladies in uniform twirling signs. Moments later a semi passed within inches of me. I'm pretty sure that the young ladies had gotten his attention.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    It's not just text phones.

    A few days ago I was riding on a busy street. I passed the local American Taekwondo Association school. Out in front they had a couple of very attractive ladies in uniform twirling signs. Moments later a semi passed within inches of me. I'm pretty sure that the young ladies had gotten his attention.
    Last summer, I was driving in traffic down a busy street. Traffic was stop and go with a top speed of about 15 mph. Up ahead on the sidewalk were two teens/women (couldn't really tell) in bikinis that were soaking wet--except one bikini was lined, and the other wasn't, resulting in being completely see-through. I said to my wife, "those girls are going to cause an accident." And literally as I was saying that, a dude two cars up nailed the stopped car in front of them without even attempting to slow down, as he was distracted by the girls/teens/women. The two gals jumped up and down and cheered and started laughing--they must have been pretty proud that they literally caused an accident.

  8. #8
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,576
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SonataInFSharp View Post
    Last summer, I was driving in traffic down a busy street. Traffic was stop and go with a top speed of about 15 mph. Up ahead on the sidewalk were two teens/women (couldn't really tell) in bikinis that were soaking wet--except one bikini was lined, and the other wasn't, resulting in being completely see-through. I said to my wife, "those girls are going to cause an accident." And literally as I was saying that, a dude two cars up nailed the stopped car in front of them without even attempting to slow down, as he was distracted by the girls/teens/women. The two gals jumped up and down and cheered and started laughing--they must have been pretty proud that they literally caused an accident.
    Ban cell phones, and mandatory burka wear for all women. That will protect worry-wort cyclists from all the motorist mayhem, eh?

    Better yet ban all driving except for burka wearing women.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You misspelled cell too. Just so you know.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  10. #10
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,343
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    You misspelled cell too. Just so you know.
    Maybe he's an animator. That's how animators spell cel.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  11. #11
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,343
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Better yet ban all driving except for burka wearing women.
    What if they're talking on their cel(l) phones?
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  12. #12
    The cat says Merry Xmas Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Posts
    4,477
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyday occurrence in So CA - the cell phone and texting capital of the world. If the car is not stopped at the light, its weaving in and out of the bike lanes... kindof scary to be out on the road anymore... and yet there are laws against such use... imagine that?
    ______________________________________________________________

    Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

  13. #13
    Sore saddle cyclist Shifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Posts
    3,786
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mitsubshi is advertising a feature on the Outlander SUV that stops the car if you are texting and about to hit something. WTF, I think outlawing and enforcing no phone and texting while driving is a better solution. In this commercial the mother has a child in the car and not paying attention to driving. So, it's ok to text with kids in the car, our car may pay attention for you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxTQnHr7m6I
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

  14. #14
    The cat says Merry Xmas Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Posts
    4,477
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh good lord don't get me started... I guess people don't need to be responsible for their actions so much so, machines have to watch out and make decisions for us... sounds like the start to a good sci fi movie except not do sci fi...
    ______________________________________________________________

    Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

  15. #15
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,343
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
    Oh good lord don't get me started... I guess people don't need to be responsible for their actions so much so, machines have to watch out and make decisions for us... sounds like the start to a good sci fi movie except not do sci fi...
    The machines will always give us a job as a battery.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  16. #16
    bill nyecycles the sci guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    1,347
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray Missile View Post
    There was a woman in a mini-van
    you could have stopped here.
    Twitter@theSurlyBiker

  17. #17
    Bike hoarder. Murray Missile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    700 Ft. above sea level.
    My Bikes
    Too many according to my wife.
    Posts
    726
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    You misspelled cell too. Just so you know.
    In the early days of cellular phones that's how it was abbreviated by a lot of people and I predate cel phones, in fact the first phone I ever used was a party line and had no dial. Right or wrong I abbreviate cellular c-e-l when in reference to telephones, always have, always will. Just so you know.

  18. #18
    Bike hoarder. Murray Missile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    700 Ft. above sea level.
    My Bikes
    Too many according to my wife.
    Posts
    726
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
    you could have stopped here.
    Yeah, that does pretty much cover it doesn't it?

  19. #19
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray Missile View Post
    In the early days of cellular phones that's how it was abbreviated by a lot of people and I predate cel phones, in fact the first phone I ever used was a party line and had no dial. Right or wrong I abbreviate cellular c-e-l when in reference to telephones, always have, always will. Just so you know.
    Thanks for letting me know. I will go ahead and get off your lawn now. No need for you to get out of your rocker and wave your cane at me.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  20. #20
    Bike hoarder. Murray Missile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    700 Ft. above sea level.
    My Bikes
    Too many according to my wife.
    Posts
    726
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    Thanks for letting me know. I will go ahead and get off your lawn now. No need for you to get out of your rocker and wave your cane at me.
    I didn't sound THAT cranky did I? Didn't mean it that way at all! Although I AM officially the grouchy old man next door, just ask my trailer trash neighbors.

  21. #21
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Well, to be fair, I am pretty trailer trashy, but no, you did not sound cranky. I am just the smart ass of Foo. Or at least one of them anyway.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  22. #22
    Bike hoarder. Murray Missile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    700 Ft. above sea level.
    My Bikes
    Too many according to my wife.
    Posts
    726
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    Well, to be fair, I am pretty trailer trashy, but no, you did not sound cranky. I am just the smart ass of Foo. Or at least one of them anyway.

    NO, you couldn't possibly be in the same league as my neighbors. One side only, the rest of my neighbors are very nice. But the ones on the one side of me....... Calling them trailer trash is an insult to trailer trash, I was just trying to be a tiny bit PC. As far as being a smart ass? Heh, heh, heh, that sobriquet has been thrown my direction a time or two. I try to behave on the internet but face to face, I show no mercy.

  23. #23
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray Missile View Post
    OK, this probably won't translate well to the written word but I had a rather comical but sad experience a couple weeks ago while driving home from work. I use back roads as much as possible to avoid traffic, I was on a County Hwy. and pulled up to a stop sign at a State Hwy. where cross traffic does not stop and is traveling 55 MPH. There was a woman in a mini-van on the other side waiting to turn left and she CLEARLY had the right of way once cross traffic cleared. She also had 2 other vehicles waiting behind her. She was having a fairly animated conversation on her cel phone and was not paying attention to what was going on outside her little "bubble". Cross traffic cleared and she sat there, she looked over at me and I held my hands up, palm up and mouthed "It's YOUR turn." She gave me a very irritated look, held her phone away from her ear so I could see it and mouthed back at me, "I'M ON THE PHONE!" She then made her turn, glaring at me and shaking her head like I was the idiot. It was at that point I abandoned all hope for the human race.

    (Yeah, I noticed I misspelled "phone" in the title after it was too late. )
    Sounds like Readers Digest material.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  24. #24
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SonataInFSharp View Post
    Last summer, I was driving in traffic down a busy street. Traffic was stop and go with a top speed of about 15 mph. Up ahead on the sidewalk were two teens/women (couldn't really tell) in bikinis that were soaking wet--except one bikini was lined, and the other wasn't, resulting in being completely see-through. I said to my wife, "those girls are going to cause an accident." And literally as I was saying that, a dude two cars up nailed the stopped car in front of them without even attempting to slow down, as he was distracted by the girls/teens/women. The two gals jumped up and down and cheered and started laughing--they must have been pretty proud that they literally caused an accident.

    No accident but reminds me of a story. I was in Seattle back in the day when the one street a couple of streets up from the wharf (is is High St.? ) Any way it was a rather seedy neighborhood. I was waiting to cross the street at the light. Next o me was a sailor. On the other side of the street, a young lady in a very thin, form fitting dress that buttoned down the front.

    The light changed and we all started to cross. The wind blew and flung open the young lady's dress. She had nothing on underneath. So there I was standing in shock, in the middle of the street. Minutes must have passed because when I came to, I noticed the sailor walking down the street with his arm over the young lady's shoulder. He had done an about face and joined her in her walk. I didn't notice any of that.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  25. #25
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray Missile View Post
    NO, you couldn't possibly be in the same league as my neighbors. One side only, the rest of my neighbors are very nice. But the ones on the one side of me....... Calling them trailer trash is an insult to trailer trash, I was just trying to be a tiny bit PC. As far as being a smart ass? Heh, heh, heh, that sobriquet has been thrown my direction a time or two. I try to behave on the internet but face to face, I show no mercy.
    Not sure what happened to your original message but sounds like we share similar problems. The dude next door is 50, hasn't worked in years sponges off of his GF and drinks out front with twenty something guys. In the building up from me, dude sits on the front stoop drinking with a cooler by his side. I live in a townhouse so everyone is in very close proximity. I am not pleased.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •