Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 38 of 38
  1. #26
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,659
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
    Does U-verse have a d/l cap?
    I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  2. #27
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2011 Windsor Shetland mini-velo, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,691
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
    Does U-verse have a d/l cap?
    According to my agreement, it is 250GB a month.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I Debian: II openSUSE: I

  3. #28
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,400
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
    According to my agreement, it is 250GB a month.

    Thanks, that may be a problem for me. Two of my kids still live at home and they are heavy Internet users (as I am).

    Oh well, so much for saving money.
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  4. #29
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2011 Windsor Shetland mini-velo, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,691
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
    Thanks, that may be a problem for me. Two of my kids still live at home and they are heavy Internet users (as I am).

    Oh well, so much for saving money.
    It probably varies by region, etc. (Witness the price and bandwidth diff between nomad1 in OK and me in NC)
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I Debian: II openSUSE: I

  5. #30
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,400
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
    It probably varies by region, etc. (Witness the price and bandwidth diff between nomad1 in OK and me in NC)
    Thanks, good advice.
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  6. #31
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,007
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Too bad you don't live here where I do. I have fiberoptic net at 100mBps and guaranteed uptime barring acts of god or the end of the universe. $70 a month, but when the storms hit, given that guarantee, if all else fails they'll dedicate a server ring specifically to me since I essentially am a commercial customer as a Social Media Consultant. They've sent out a tech for me at 3AM to get me up and online as part of the agreement. ITS is by far the best telecom I've ever dealt with.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  7. #32
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,400
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    Too bad you don't live here where I do. I have fiberoptic net at 100mBps and guaranteed uptime barring acts of god or the end of the universe. $70 a month, but when the storms hit, given that guarantee, if all else fails they'll dedicate a server ring specifically to me since I essentially am a commercial customer as a Social Media Consultant. They've sent out a tech for me at 3AM to get me up and online as part of the agreement. ITS is by far the best telecom I've ever dealt with.
    Where do I sign up?
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  8. #33
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,659
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    Too bad you don't live here where I do. I have fiberoptic net at 100mBps and guaranteed uptime barring acts of god or the end of the universe. $70 a month, but when the storms hit, given that guarantee, if all else fails they'll dedicate a server ring specifically to me since I essentially am a commercial customer as a Social Media Consultant. They've sent out a tech for me at 3AM to get me up and online as part of the agreement. ITS is by far the best telecom I've ever dealt with.
    Glad to see you still pounding the keys

    Can't afford the $70/mo . Our biggest issue with Cox (after the higher pricing) is that we've been experiencing more and more service disruptions as they upgrade their system. Wife and I are both up late (I'm up until 0700 sometimes) and it is frustrating when I'm trying to perform a Mod action or my wife is downloading an audiobook and the network goes down.

    I've told them that I understand that they have to do their service when it impacts the least number of their customers, but it would be nice to get a heads up before they do so that arrangements can be made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  9. #34
    NFL Owner monogodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Irving Heritage District
    My Bikes
    7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB
    Posts
    1,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    Currently w/Cox:

    $54.99 for 12 Mbps*, goes up to $59.99 at the end of the month. The speed is going up as well across all tiers and the 12 would increase to 25. They stress that the pricing increase has nothing to do with the bump in speeds.

    ATT would be $39.99 for 12 months for the same 12 Mbps.

    To muddy the waters, due to a billing dispute, Cox has given me a $5/mo credit ($49.99) for 12 months, so the net savings would be only $120...factor in the "discounted" equipment and install, then savings is down to $20 for the year...

    *What is strange is that I've routinely gotten speeds higher than 12 whenever I used speedtest.net when checking out new browsers. I just got a 19.51 w/5 tabs open using Dragon and the Slacker Radio app running in the background.
    I get 30 Mbps for <$60/month with Time Warner.

    When I had Time Warner in my last loft, I also had cable TV service. When I cancelled the TV service and went internet only, my speeds jumped dramatically. I think they dedicate a certain amount of bandwidth to TV and a certain amount to Internet, and if you are only using Internet, you're able to use both 'pipes'.
    198? Colnago Super (Campy Record) | 1989 Eddy Merckx 7-Eleven Team Issue (Dura Ace) | Catamount MFS (1x8) | Top Image Neptune (SS)

  10. #35
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,530
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monogodo View Post
    I get 30 Mbps for <$60/month with Time Warner.

    When I had Time Warner in my last loft, I also had cable TV service. When I cancelled the TV service and went internet only, my speeds jumped dramatically. I think they dedicate a certain amount of bandwidth to TV and a certain amount to Internet, and if you are only using Internet, you're able to use both 'pipes'.
    What are your upload speeds? All these companies talk about download speeds... and tend to hide the upload speeds. I do design work at home and regularly need to upload large files to company FTP sites or servers... upload speeds are important.

    My son is a media consultant and creates videos that need to be uploaded... upload speeds are important. I just got a quote from AT&T and while they rave about download speeds, they gloss over upload speeds.

  11. #36
    NFL Owner monogodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Irving Heritage District
    My Bikes
    7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB
    Posts
    1,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    What are your upload speeds? All these companies talk about download speeds... and tend to hide the upload speeds. I do design work at home and regularly need to upload large files to company FTP sites or servers... upload speeds are important.

    My son is a media consultant and creates videos that need to be uploaded... upload speeds are important. I just got a quote from AT&T and while they rave about download speeds, they gloss over upload speeds.
    I tested it after the install, and got 33.73 down and 5.36 up. I think I'm supposed to get 30 down & 5 up. I know they limit upload speeds because they don't want us running a server out of our house.

    Also, I misremembered my bill amount, it's only $52.35/month.
    198? Colnago Super (Campy Record) | 1989 Eddy Merckx 7-Eleven Team Issue (Dura Ace) | Catamount MFS (1x8) | Top Image Neptune (SS)

  12. #37
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,659
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, we decided to stay with Cox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  13. #38
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2011 Windsor Shetland mini-velo, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,691
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our modem went on the fritz this week, so they sent us a new one. I get to reinstall it today.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I Debian: II openSUSE: I

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •