Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-13, 01:14 PM   #1
windhchaser 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes: Felt nine flow
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
What os should i choose

i have a old netbook only has 1 gig of ram and a 1.2 ghz atom cpu 250 gb hardrive i need a os that will run decently on
windhchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 02:51 PM   #2
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
windows XP home
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 03:19 PM   #3
no1mad
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,662
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Win XP will no longer be supported by MS after 4/18/2014. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ucts/lifecycle

I'd check into Linux distros that feature LXDE (Lightweight Desktop Environment) like Lubuntu.
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 03:38 PM   #4
windhchaser 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes: Felt nine flow
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
Win XP will no longer be supported by MS after 4/18/2014. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ucts/lifecycle

I'd check into Linux distros that feature LXDE (Lightweight Desktop Environment) like Lubuntu.
thought about that or puppy but i worry puppy aint secure
windhchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 03:42 PM   #5
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes: Tomasso Team Carbon
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
windows XP home
Win 7 is arguably as good as XP, or near enough.

But to the OP, the question seems to maybe be Chrome OS, Windows of some flavor or Mac OS. I added Chrome as you have a netbook so maybe want the same sized unit with a more modern OS ?, thus a ChromeBook may be an option - IF you have full time and reliable internet.

I'm shy of totally cloud based solutions and went with a Win 7 Lenovo 15.4" screen laptop for about $400 for 6 gig, 350 gig HD. I will skip Win 8, even the 8.1 version. Win 7 machines though, are getting harder and harder to find and had I won the lotto I would have gone MacBook Pro for about $1200.

Even though I've used various flavors of Windows back to '95 as well as DOS, I think the Mac OS and product in general is superior.

So the real question is how deep is your pocket ?.
Steve B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 03:47 PM   #6
windhchaser 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes: Felt nine flow
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
Win 7 is arguably as good as XP, or near enough.

But to the OP, the question seems to maybe be Chrome OS, Windows of some flavor or Mac OS. I added Chrome as you have a netbook so maybe want the same sized unit with a more modern OS ?, thus a ChromeBook may be an option - IF you have full time and reliable internet.

I'm shy of totally cloud based solutions and went with a Win 7 Lenovo 15.4" screen laptop for about $400 for 6 gig, 350 gig HD. I will skip Win 8, even the 8.1 version. Win 7 machines though, are getting harder and harder to find and had I won the lotto I would have gone MacBook Pro for about $1200.

Even though I've used various flavors of Windows back to '95 as well as DOS, I think the Mac OS and product in general is superior.

So the real question is how deep is your pocket ?.
shalow since i already bought the netbook and payed 135(way to much) it has win 7 starter but i assume it will be slow i did a factory refresh from the hardrive and installing updates now man there are so many updates
windhchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 06:07 PM   #7
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes: Tomasso Team Carbon
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
On the 2 Win 7 laptops I purchased in June and Sept., I probably spend 3 full days initially, dealing with the 100 + updates MS pushed to the 2 machines.

I quickly discovered not to attempt more then about 8 at a time, else the update would fail. It was a royal PITA and so totally not necessary but oh so very Microsoft.

Versus my wife's iPhone 4S, which went from v5 to v7.01 in one 20 minute step, backing itself up in the process, no issues, no bullsh__t.

Now I know that a smartphone is not a "real" computer, but obviously Apple has this figured out where Microsoft never has.

Rant over.
Steve B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 06:15 PM   #8
ahsposo 
Big Blubbery Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On a floe
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I'd say go shop Goodwill for a netbook with more bottom to it.

I'm slowly getting over my hate 4 '8' but yer netbook wouldn't come close to supporting it.

Why do you think the Linux isn't secure?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelmatimynagle View Post
i glad turn hobbits
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 06:34 PM   #9
windhchaser 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes: Felt nine flow
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
I'd say go shop Goodwill for a netbook with more bottom to it.

I'm slowly getting over my hate 4 '8' but yer netbook wouldn't come close to supporting it.

Why do you think the Linux isn't secure?
i feel that puppy linux isnt safe since its uses alot of older apps
windhchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 08:24 PM   #10
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
Win XP will no longer be supported by MS after 4/18/2014. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ucts/lifecycle
What significant difference will that make to a casual user satisfied with the software programs supported by XP, who is not a click happy fool on the Internet, and who uses a free anti virus software like AVG, Avast or some other virus software? http://freebies.about.com/od/compute...-antivirus.htm
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 08:32 PM   #11
daihard 
Senior Member
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale
Posts: 1,878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by windhchaser View Post
i feel that puppy linux isnt safe since its uses alot of older apps
I don't know much about Windows, but Linux is at least open source and you have greater control over the operating system as well as most of the apps that run on it.

I use Kubuntu (KDE version of Ubuntu) both at home and at work. I've never had any of my Linux computers infected by viruses of any sort since I started using Linux 11 years ago. Linux is very stable, too. I have no need to reboot except when I update the kernel.
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 09:21 PM   #12
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
the reason i suggested XP Home was because of the specs of the computer. It could probably run Windows 7, but, XP would run better.

XP being unsupported by MS next year really isn't going to be a huge problem. As long as he's got all the updates to when they stop putting out patches and updates, he shouldn't have a problem. Keep adware and anti-virus software up to date, there won't be a problem. Since it's an older computer I'm guessing its not going to be used for a main, do-everything powerhouse computer. It's going to be a decent clunker that he'll use on the road, or on the couch, or maybe even has a simple media server for the house. None of this matters with MS cutting of support.

And remember cutting off support just means no more patches and updates, and you can't call them for questions. the OS doesn't just shut off or anything.
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 09:31 PM   #13
daihard 
Senior Member
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale
Posts: 1,878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
the reason i suggested XP Home was because of the specs of the computer. It could probably run Windows 7, but, XP would run better.
With 1GB of RAM and a 1.2 GHz CPU, I'd venture to guess Linux would run better on it than Windows XP.
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 09:51 PM   #14
windhchaser 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes: Felt nine flow
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
i tried to add more memory but it didnt see my 4 gig ddr 3 strip im going to try to trade the strip for a 2 gig strip
windhchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 11:20 PM   #15
Astrozombie
Senior Member
 
Astrozombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: East L.A.
Bikes: Windsor Dover, Motobecane Mirage, Diamondback Insight
Posts: 860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Windows 7, people were able to run it on ancient hardware and said it actually ran better than Xp. Often you just need more RAM to get things smoothly
Astrozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 11:28 PM   #16
daihard 
Senior Member
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale
Posts: 1,878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrozombie View Post
Windows 7, people were able to run it on ancient hardware and said it actually ran better than Xp. Often you just need more RAM to get things smoothly
You can most probably run Linux smoothly on the OP's machine without extra RAM...
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 12:55 AM   #17
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
XP being unsupported by MS next year really isn't going to be a huge problem. As long as he's got all the updates to when they stop putting out patches and updates, he shouldn't have a problem. Keep adware and anti-virus software up to date, there won't be a problem. Since it's an older computer I'm guessing its not going to be used for a main, do-everything powerhouse computer. It's going to be a decent clunker that he'll use on the road, or on the couch, or maybe even has a simple media server for the house. None of this matters with MS cutting of support.

And remember cutting off support just means no more patches and updates, and you can't call them for questions. the OS doesn't just shut off or anything.
Thanks for the info. That is what I thought about the relative insignificance of loss of support for the home or individual user. Seems to be more of a marketing ploy.

I have 3 computers that have XP, and have no problems with them. I also use Office 2000 on all three. It is long since "not supported" and works fine too, still has menus, and my Word macros written way back in Word 2 and Word 97 still work as intended. No dang ribbon either. The heck with being "supported"; haven't found a need to ever call Microsoft for support even when I was graced with their "support."
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 01:19 AM   #18
robble 
Senior Member
 
robble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Honolulu
Bikes:
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daihard View Post
You can most probably run Linux smoothly on the OP's machine without extra RAM...
and you think someone who has to ask which OS would be best is going to be comfortable using linux?

definitely put some more ram in there though.

OP you can go to http://www.crucial.com/store/drammemory.aspx to figure out what kind of ram you need and how much you can put in there.
__________________
Trek 7.4FX
robble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 06:09 AM   #19
bigbenaugust 
derailleurs are overrated
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Bikes: 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Our machines get security scanned here, regardless of OS, and the Linux and Mac OS machines have less vulnerabilities.

I would put in a vote for Lubuntu. Should be pretty familiar for an XP user and easy on the hardware.
__________________
--Ben
Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: openSUSE Leap - LinuxMint Debian Edition 2 - Mac OS 10.6 - Android 4.4 - CyanogenMod 13
bigbenaugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 06:12 AM   #20
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training
 
20grit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rural Retreat, VA
Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab
Posts: 1,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hear windows 95 was awesome.
20grit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 07:23 AM   #21
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20grit View Post
I hear windows 95 was awesome.
the best. my favorite part was switching to DOS to run some games.
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 11:56 AM   #22
daihard 
Senior Member
 
daihard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale
Posts: 1,878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robble View Post
and you think someone who has to ask which OS would be best is going to be comfortable using linux?
You may have an outdated view of the ease of use with Linux. Or do you have any specific area where Linux is still hard to use compared to Windows?
__________________

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
daihard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 02:47 PM   #23
robble 
Senior Member
 
robble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Honolulu
Bikes:
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daihard View Post
You may have an outdated view of the ease of use with Linux. Or do you have any specific area where Linux is still hard to use compared to Windows?
Perhaps I do. Has it really gotten that much easier? Plug and play drivers for almost anything you'd connect? Adding a new hard drive simple? It has been several years since I messed with it.
__________________
Trek 7.4FX
robble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 03:12 PM   #24
windhchaser 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes: Felt nine flow
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
using lubuntu now its ok. i do wish i got a beter laptop but i didnt want to spend to much and i wanted it real portable
windhchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 03:13 PM   #25
windhchaser 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes: Felt nine flow
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
i do like how it only uses around 8 watts so at least it aint a old pentium 4 cpu lol them things loved watts
windhchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:55 AM.