Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   Affordable Care Act... (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/920166-affordable-care-act.html)

phoebeisis 11-23-13 09:26 AM

FrenchFit
You were lucky.3 HRS not too bad.
ERs triage patients-based on "how serious" it is.
Chest pain-or stroke signs symptoms-or serious trauma-gets seen immediately
Everything else waits.
I don't "think" they triage based on how much they will make.

In the "old days" Surprisingly- employees on the lower end would be most overtly "angry" at the "poor folks" who couldn't pay-odd but that was how it seemed.
Probably they were angry because they were working-hard-handling unpleasant tasks- vomit urine feces blood- at night-and they saw these "poor folks" getting over for free.

bigbenaugust 11-23-13 05:02 PM

I was sitting in my family room watching Happy Feet 2 last night (just don't ask, we watch all sorts of crap Mrs. A brings home from the library) and marveling at the computing power required to do all of the rendering and thought..."we have the computing power to make penguins into Riverdance and clingy man-friend krill, but we can't make a decent healthcare system with a decent sign-up site?"

Chief 11-23-13 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizeye (Post 16208360)
Actually, no. It is one of the rare instances where the government takes it on both ends. The employer medical contribution is tax deductible as a business expense. On the other end, the employees benefits - in this case the amount that the employer contributes - is not considered income and is not taxed. SO the government loses potential tax revenue on both sides.

Using your figures let me illustrate

ACA quote $620 (or $400 more than your current employer)
Employer : $120 your 'cost' + $400 employer contribution (unknow, so hypothetical) = $620 (COBRA would give you a good idea of what that contribution is if employer doesn't tell you)
That is what I meant by "apples to apples" comparison as it includes all factors, and in this example, the insurance cost was the same $620.

The only way for the insurance to go up $400 as you perceived, is to leave the employer where you then become responsible for that portion that the employer was contributing.

$120 + $400 = $620 ?

ahsposo 11-23-13 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbenaugust (Post 16272370)
I was sitting in my family room watching Happy Feet 2 last night (just don't ask, we watch all sorts of crap Mrs. A brings home from the library) and marveling at the computing power required to do all of the rendering and thought..."we have the computing power to make penguins into Riverdance and clingy man-friend krill, but we can't make a decent healthcare system with a decent sign-up site?"

The two universal problems with government is politicians and the bureaucrats that implement their policy.

The problem with the ACA is that it's not a single payer system.

Canada's system works pretty good according to the admittedly small sample of Canadians I've talked to about their system.

We need to just get over it and do what needs to be done so we aren't paying the bill for uninsured in Emergency Departments or the mentally ill living crazy on the streets or in jails.

StupidlyBrave 11-23-13 08:35 PM

The whole debacle with the website is very familiar to me. I was asked to code up a site in about four weeks or our company would not be allowed to do business in the European union. The database design was done the day after the code was scheduled to go to QA. And so on...But an untested application was delivered on time.

I can't tell you how many times the business sponsor had an idea at our 1pm Friday status meeting and expected it in production on Sunday.

Dark times

CbadRider 11-23-13 09:10 PM

I deleted some more posts because the thread was starting to turn political again. Please take political comments to the thread in P&R. Thank you.

eja_ bottecchia 11-24-13 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CbadRider (Post 16272850)
I deleted some more posts because the thread was starting to turn political again. Please take political comments to the thread in P&R. Thank you.

Patty, how is pointing out that Happy Feet 2 is the product of private industry, while the ACA is the product of the federal government (hence the differences) any more (or less) political than some of the other (not deleted) posts in the the thread?

I am confused...

Zinger 11-25-13 02:01 PM

Here's something that I thought would change but, insofar as I can determine, it hasn't really.

If you go in for a colostomy and they remove polyps (benign or not) it's no longer considered a "preventative" procedure with some carriers (somehow) and they will stick you with a nearly $2000 portion of the bill.

http://kff.org/health-costs/report/c...fordable-care/

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the ACA has really done anything to rectify that with private carriers.

CbadRider 11-25-13 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia (Post 16273190)
Patty, how is pointing out that Happy Feet 2 is the product of private industry, while the ACA is the product of the federal government (hence the differences) any more (or less) political than some of the other (not deleted) posts in the the thread?

I am confused...

Posts that start down the slippery slope of bashing the government will start to take the thread in a political direction. Since the OP requested that the thread remain nonpolitical so it could stay in Foo, I'm going to delete any posts that could possibly be construed as political.

eja_ bottecchia 11-25-13 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CbadRider (Post 16278311)
Posts that start down the slippery slope of bashing the government will start to take the thread in a political direction. Since the OP requested that the thread remain nonpolitical so it could stay in Foo, I'm going to delete any posts that could possibly be construed as political.

OK Patty but to paraphrase Galileo when forced to recant by the Inquisition...

The government could never make Happy Feet 2.

OK, so not quite a paraphrase. :D

Happy Thanksgiving young lady!

GO Trojans...beat the Bruins!

overthehillmedi 11-25-13 10:21 PM

What hockey league do the Trojans play in? The Bruins are in the NHL. I'm not aware of a NHL team called the Trojans.

Zedoo 11-26-13 11:43 AM

Since we can't have affordable healthcare by licensed doctors, the next step is learning how to do it ourselves. That starts with maintaining health to prevent injuries and illnesses, then treating those when they happen, then accepting death as inevitable for many conditions, especially bacterial infections. We can plan ahead for winter deaths by digging graves in autumn before the ground freezes.

ModoVincere 11-26-13 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedoo (Post 16279869)
Since we can't have affordable healthcare by licensed doctors, the next step is learning how to do it ourselves. That starts with maintaining health to prevent injuries and illnesses, then treating those when they happen, then accepting death as inevitable for many conditions, especially bacterial infections. We can plan ahead for winter deaths by digging graves in autumn before the ground freezes.

Real men know how to use C4

bigbenaugust 11-26-13 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedoo (Post 16279869)
Since we can't have affordable healthcare by licensed doctors, the next step is learning how to do it ourselves. That starts with maintaining health to prevent injuries and illnesses, then treating those when they happen, then accepting death as inevitable for many conditions, especially bacterial infections. We can plan ahead for winter deaths by digging graves in autumn before the ground freezes.

Welcome to the 1800s. You just died of dysentery!

no motor? 11-26-13 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbenaugust (Post 16280069)
Welcome to the 1800s. You just died of dysentery!

Indoor plumbing and sanitation has saved more lives than medical care.

howeeee 12-08-13 05:27 PM

I live in Michigan my wife and pay about 16,000 a year her share being paid by her employer. When we sign up for the AcA we will end up paying after our subsidy about 3 grand a year,,,I am estatic, We will try and sign up this week.

ahsposo 12-08-13 05:34 PM

Re: overthehillmedi's post - His best point is there is no simple solution.

This causes most people's brain to freeze. Americans in general like easy problems. Everything else is socialism.

Zinger 12-09-13 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overthehillmedi (Post 16312696)
Political link removed by Admin

Excellent summary.

That pretty much verifies what I've already known for a long long time and that is that medical services in this country stick it to you. That's why I liked living next to the Mexican border where I could get perfectly good porcelain crowns for $90 and erythromycin for seasonal sinus infections without a doctors prescription. And I never had any problems with Mexican brands not working for me.

Right now I'm stuck with a $2000 bill for my share of a colonoscopy that my insurance company won't pay for because of a loophole. That's more than I can afford but less than a chapter 7 is worth filing for because I'll probably need to use it later.

Medical services in this country are a rip off and I've known it for a long long time.

roadfix 12-10-13 08:16 PM

Geez. My ACA thread that I started here more than a couple of months ago got yanked claiming it to be too political? It was pretty mild compared to this thread.

Ok, anyway.... Being self-employed, under the ACA, which I signed up and enrolled, I'll be paying over a $1000 less each month for better coverage for my wife and I at Kaiser come Jan 1. I am happy.

no motor? 12-11-13 06:22 PM

I should be happy too, I think I finally got through the system and the money saved will make the time spent earlier worth it. Especially if I continue to stay healthy enough to not need to use the insurance.

CbadRider 12-12-13 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadfix (Post 16319639)
Geez. My ACA thread that I started here more than a couple of months ago got yanked claiming it to be too political? It was pretty mild compared to this thread.

Ok, anyway.... Being self-employed, under the ACA, which I signed up and enrolled, I'll be paying over a $1000 less each month for better coverage for my wife and I at Kaiser come Jan 1. I am happy.


I just deleted more political posts in here. The OP wanted to make this a non-political thread so we're going to keep it that way. If people want to share their health insurance experiences in this thread, great. If people want to complain about the government they need to take it to P&R, please.

dstrong 12-13-13 11:00 AM

Thanks cbad for trying to keep this on track. My daughter has still not signed up for ACA but needs to by the 23rd in order to be covered come Jan 1. I fear there will be excuse after excuse about why she can't sign up and that it will go down the wire.

dstrong 12-27-13 01:50 PM

*UPDATE*

I returned from a trip the week of the 16th and my daughter picked me up at the airport. On the drive home, she said that she successfully signed up for insurance using the website. She rattled off all the things that were "free" (checkups, different types of exams) and some of the co-pays for other things, like meds. She also said her psychiatrist is on the list so "that's covered". I asked her what her deductible and out-of-pocket maximums were and she didn't know. I asked how much the insurance was going to cost and she said $37/months. I said "so that's with the subsidy...but what do you have to pay per month?" and her response was that the government pays the insurer directly each month and she pays the difference. She thought the total monthly bill was in the $180 range. She couldn't tell me if this was a bronze, silver or gold policy.

An envelope from Blue Cross came yesterday...I assume her cards are in it...maybe I'll find out a little more when she gets home and opens it.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 PM.