Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   Peace Corps "Lite" ?? (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/922338-peace-corps-lite.html)

Homebrew01 11-15-13 05:41 AM

Peace Corps "Lite" ??
 
Any recommendations for a good, productive organization that a lost teenage girl might benefit from, and do meaningful good work ?? U.S. based at this point, and operates this time of year.

bikeguyinvenice 11-15-13 06:26 AM

How about habitat for humanity, not exactly peace corps, but definitely do work that is worth supporting.

Homebrew01 11-15-13 06:33 AM

I thought about them. First thought was that they want building experience, but they probably need grunt help too.

ahsposo 11-15-13 06:50 AM

If she likes animals the Humane Society and other shelters always need volunteers as walkers and cleaners.

But Habitat is a worthwhile organization.

20grit 11-15-13 07:13 AM

Americorps Vista? Don't know much about it, but I've known several people who have done it.

prathmann 11-15-13 07:33 AM

Yes, they can use volunteers with any level (or none) of experience. There's even a group that combines Hab. for Hum. with a cross-country bike tour for teens - they ride a few days then stop and help build in a town along the way.

Artkansas 11-15-13 08:59 AM

Boys and Girls Club can always use a few volunteers.

You might also check with the local zoo, or at the local library.

RaleighSport 11-15-13 09:12 AM

Animal sanctuaries often need volunteers.

CommuteCommando 11-15-13 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homebrew01 (Post 16248540)
I thought about them. First thought was that they want building experience, but they probably need grunt help too.

They want mostly grunt work. They have a small core of "pro's" who supervise. I did some once. Found I couldn't swing a hammer for very long or I would get some very painful nerve issues in my arm, and they have a funny "no nail gun" policy. I wound up doing a lot of shovel work instead.

I second the Boys and Girls clubs.

FrenchFit 11-15-13 09:26 AM

My son spent two years in Americorps. http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps It's an excellent resume builder, and his next stop is graduate school - in addition to it being a very gratifying experience. No negatives I can think of other than living at the poverty level.

If you / she gets serious you can PM me and I can offer a connection for she to email with him directly.

DannoXYZ 11-19-13 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CommuteCommando (Post 16248902)
They want mostly grunt work. They have a small core of "pro's" who supervise. I did some once. Found I couldn't swing a hammer for very long or I would get some very painful nerve issues in my arm, and they have a funny "no nail gun" policy. I wound up doing a lot of shovel work instead.

I second the Boys and Girls clubs.

Not that funny at all really:

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/upl...ilGunXrays.jpg
http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/upl...ilGunXrays.jpg

Unless you're a pro-builder who uses nailguns regularly in your profession, volunteers really need to be kept away from them. I'm sure insurance-costs for HfH dictates this. Nailgun injuries are on the rise.

Homebrew,

Also check your local Rotaract or Rotary Clubs, they often have youth-oriented projects in the area. If it's a good fit, they may even send them abroad on various service-projects for Rotary International.

krobinson103 11-19-13 01:51 AM

Nasty. Not sure how you nail gun yourself in the head though. Thought they had safety devices to prevent such foolishness.

CommuteCommando 11-19-13 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannoXYZ (Post 16258461)
Not that funny at all really:

You are right of course. As someone who is skilled inthe use of power tools-journeyman machinist-I often forget that there are those that shouldn't be near them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krobinson103 (Post 16258513)
Nasty. Not sure how you nail gun yourself in the head though. Thought they had safety devices to prevent such foolishness.

One safety device they have is a trigger lock that only allows the trigger to be pulled if the nose is pushed against something solid, like a wood stud, though dropping it on you knee, or smacking it with your finger could do it too. I think the guy with the nails in the back of the head should have been more careful with he work crew psycho.

himespau 11-19-13 09:21 AM

What sort of time frame you looking at? Couple weeks? A year or two? After school? Full time?

no motor? 11-19-13 11:30 AM

Once they get started they'll probably meet other volunteers involved with other organizations who are also in need of volunteers. Helping with those other groups will give them more choices and a better chance of finding a good fit.

leob1 11-19-13 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krobinson103 (Post 16258513)
Nasty. Not sure how you nail gun yourself in the head though. Thought they had safety devices to prevent such foolishness.

My framing nailer has two option; 1, is the saftey option, the nose of the gun has to be pressed against the work, When the trigger is pulled it fires one nail. It won't fire again until the trigger and saftey are released. 2, is the 'bump' option. You hold the trigger, and bump the nose of the gun and a nail fires. It will fire again as soon as it bumps again. It will go as fast as you can bump it.

If you have little exerience, and you have your finger on the trigger, and it bumps your leg, you got a nail in your leg. You'd be surprised how many folks will grab the handle and wrap their finger onto the trigger. And how many people will rest the nose against a body part while getting a board into place. it's easier than you'd think to nail yourself.

Then, there are the nails that curl and come out the side of the board. If your holding the board to close to where your nailing it, guess where the nail goes?

no motor? 11-19-13 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leob1 (Post 16259936)
My framing nailer has two option; 1, is the saftey option, the nose of the gun has to be pressed against the work, When the trigger is pulled it fires one nail. It won't fire again until the trigger and saftey are released. 2, is the 'bump' option. You hold the trigger, and bump the nose of the gun and a nail fires. It will fire again as soon as it bumps again. It will go as fast as you can bump it.

If you have little exerience, and you have your finger on the trigger, and it bumps your leg, you got a nail in your leg. You'd be surprised how many folks will grab the handle and wrap their finger onto the trigger. And how many people will rest the nose against a body part while getting a board into place. it's easier than you'd think to nail yourself.

Then, there are the nails that curl and come out the side of the board. If your holding the board to close to where your nailing it, guess where the nail goes?

That makes hitting your thumb with the hammer a much better choice.

DannoXYZ 11-20-13 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krobinson103 (Post 16258513)
Nasty. Not sure how you nail gun yourself in the head though. Thought they had safety devices to prevent such foolishness.

And to nail yourself in the back of the head!!! And there are some through the side of the head as well. I suspect this was a contract-hit, not accidental at all...

overthehillmedi 11-20-13 01:29 PM

Google nail gun suicide and you'll find multiple articles.

DannoXYZ 11-20-13 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krobinson103 (Post 16258513)
Nasty. Not sure how you nail gun yourself in the head though. Thought they had safety devices to prevent such foolishness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannoXYZ (Post 16261535)
And to nail yourself in the back of the head!!! And there are some through the side of the head as well. I suspect this was a contract-hit, not accidental at all...

Found some articles about this particular incident:
Niranjan Singh - Six nails embedded in the skull of construction worker
Future Journalism Project - Nails, Knives and X-Rays - labeling off by one
Modesto Bee - Nail guns claiming lives, causing harm - bottom of this article.
LA Times - Victim of Nail-Gun Accident Survives a Delicate Surgery - most detailed article
In summary, Isidro Mejia Lopez was working on the roof framing when he slipped. He fell onto the 2nd-floor scaffolding where his co-worker was using a nailgun. That guy hung on tightly to keep from falling off, which kept the trigger on the nailgun depressed. With the tumbling and falling, Isidro got six nails shot into his head. Three went into the brain, one in his spinal-column and another in his face. He stopped breathing on the way to hospital, was resuscitated, but remained comatose when they arrived. Neurosurgeon removed 5 nails from his head & spinal-column and the final one from his face 4-days later. "... his doctors predicted a full, if gradual, recovery." :eek: WOW!

I have 5 nailguns and keep them all locked up. I never lend them to friends. I only let them, my wife and neice use the nailguns with close supervision.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:38 PM.