Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   Any financial advisors or other investors out there in Foo land? (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/922522-any-financial-advisors-other-investors-out-there-foo-land.html)

bikeguyinvenice 11-16-13 05:33 PM

Any financial advisors or other investors out there in Foo land?
 
Okay so i just rolled my 401(k) from my previous employer into an already established IRA, not a million in there, but want something to invest in with a proven history of growth. I can study charts and financials till I grow old, but just looking to see what others are willing to recommend.

erig007 11-16-13 06:01 PM

I recommend to buy JVC, there is a new product soon to come to the market : VHS video tapes :)


Have you heard of the ibillionaire index?
http://www.ibillionaire.me/

bikeguyinvenice 11-16-13 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erig007 (Post 16252431)
I recommend to buy JVC, there is a new product soon to come to the market : VHS video tapes :)


Have you heard of the ibillionaire index?
http://www.ibillionaire.me/


I was thinking of buying some sony, heard they had something new coming out soon, something called a walkman.

windhchaser 11-16-13 06:51 PM

i like real estate because at least you own something other then paper

ModoVincere 11-16-13 06:52 PM

Sorry, but without knowing your risk tolerances, how much we're dealing with, time frames, and lots of other information......I aint saying nuthin.

erig007 11-16-13 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikeguyinvenice (Post 16252475)
I was thinking of buying some sony, heard they had something new coming out soon, something called a walkman.

Great idea!

http://funnyasduck.net/wp-content/up...pones-pics.jpg

bikeguyinvenice 11-16-13 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windhchaser (Post 16252543)
i like real estate because at least you own something other then paper

I already own two properties, here in FL and TX., don't think I want any more real estate.

MillCreek 11-16-13 09:36 PM

You can do much, much worse than to get a US stock market index fund (S&P 500), a US bond index fund, and perhaps a world bond index or world balanced fund. If you wanted to add from that, a US small cap index fund and a US mid cap index fund. Over time, the data has consistently shown that most actively-managed mutual funds do no better than a stock or bond index fund. Look also to ensure that these funds have a small net expense ratio.

rumrunn6 11-22-13 03:10 PM

everybody print that last post, or what?

bikeguyinvenice 11-22-13 06:05 PM

I just picked some stocks, after researching them, I picked 10 out of 36 possibles that I thought looked good. If I have to re-evaluate in 6 months to a year I am okay with that.

tizeye 11-22-13 07:34 PM

Now that you have them, it is more important to know when to get out. What is your exit plan.

Also, you may want to try something like www.stockmarketmentor.com It is free for the single featured stock, and there is a pay version as well. Doesn't doe a "buy this" rather, it looks at and trains you on concept and what to look for.

cafzali 11-22-13 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikeguyinvenice (Post 16252385)
Okay so i just rolled my 401(k) from my previous employer into an already established IRA, not a million in there, but want something to invest in with a proven history of growth. I can study charts and financials till I grow old, but just looking to see what others are willing to recommend.

I'm not an FA, but I manage both mine and my wife's retirement funds and have a financial journalism background, so I know how to read financials and do my own homework. The true answer to your question depends largely on how old you are and when you want to retire and what your risk tolerance is. When you get down to brass tacks, almost every investment has a proven period of growth, but likewise they all go through rough periods, which makes it more important now to actively manage whatever you have than before. That doesn't necessarily frequently, just that you can't "set it and forget it" as much anymore.

Generally, you're good if you put your money into mutual funds, but select 2-3 with different goals, such as a balanced fund, maybe an emerging market fund, etc. I also always keep some money in the SPY exchange-traded fund that tracks the S&P 500. I'd be careful about chasing anything hot like precious metals or commodities because they can have very wide price swings.

bikeguyinvenice 11-22-13 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizeye (Post 16270405)
Now that you have them, it is more important to know when to get out. What is your exit plan.

Also, you may want to try something like www.stockmarketmentor.com It is free for the single featured stock, and there is a pay version as well. Doesn't doe a "buy this" rather, it looks at and trains you on concept and what to look for.

Well I tend to hold the stocks I buy, most of the ones i bought had a Market Edge rating of long term hold. Like I said if I have to re-evaluate at some point in the future I am okay with it. If I read something negative about any of them and they start to decline I will come up with an exit strategy.

Wilbur Bud 11-23-13 08:23 AM

Read this, then follow millcreek's advice: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/inte...ham/1100550845


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22 PM.