Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 71
  1. #26
    smorenivore colorider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    My Bikes
    '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    368
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I got all rainbows this year. The only "trout" native to Georgia is the Brook trout (which is actually not a trout but a type of charr).
    We do have wild breeding populations of rainbow, and browns in the north of the state but they are introduced and supported by the state hatchery.
    Interesting. I didn't know brookies were found that far south. Thought they were more of a northern fish (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Canada etc.).
    One does not simply ride their bike into Mordor! - electrik

  2. #27
    Senior Member Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,757
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Interesting. I didn't know brookies were found that far south. Thought they were more of a northern fish (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Canada etc.).
    Our high mountain streams are the only place you can find native populations. The native Brookies don't get much larger than hand sized, the introduced Brrokies can get rather large though.

  3. #28
    Senior Member smoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    623
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys in GA? Me too, N. Ga. I love fly fishing, just don't have the time to do it. Consequently I have a beautiful 5 wt for sale that I bought from a guide a few years ago and never used. Orvis Trident TL Mid-flex 6.5, 8.6"....A Christmas gift to yourself?

  4. #29
    Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,676
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Good browns in the Hooch. I however will eat my trout. Hooch fish scare me on the plate.
    just cause they explode in the oven doesn't meant there's anything wrong with them.
    1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold

  5. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    My Bikes
    Felt nine flow
    Posts
    559
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smoore View Post
    You guys in GA? Me too, N. Ga. I love fly fishing, just don't have the time to do it. Consequently I have a beautiful 5 wt for sale that I bought from a guide a few years ago and never used. Orvis Trident TL Mid-flex 6.5, 8.6"....A Christmas gift to yourself?
    gainesville here

  6. #31
    Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,676
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decatur
    1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold

  7. #32
    Senior Member smoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    623
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by windhchaser View Post
    gainesville here
    Ha! Gainesville HERE.

  8. #33
    Senior Member Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,757
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smoore View Post
    You guys in GA? Me too, N. Ga. I love fly fishing, just don't have the time to do it. Consequently I have a beautiful 5 wt for sale that I bought from a guide a few years ago and never used. Orvis Trident TL Mid-flex 6.5, 8.6"....A Christmas gift to yourself?
    Mudville, I mean Monroe.

  9. #34
    Senior Member Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,757
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
    just cause they explode in the oven doesn't meant there's anything wrong with them.
    Makes my trout soufflé fail every time.

  10. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    My Bikes
    Felt nine flow
    Posts
    559
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smoore View Post
    Ha! Gainesville HERE.
    wow small world on lainer here

  11. #36
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    9,894
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Our high mountain streams are the only place you can find native populations. The native Brookies don't get much larger than hand sized, the introduced Brrokies can get rather large though.

    There are a bunch of streams in the higher Sierra here where the brook trout
    only get to 8 or 10 inches. Seems to have more to do with available food
    supplies than anything else. They still taste pretty good, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    Your friends on FB are very different than mine.

  12. #37
    Senior Member Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,757
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    There are a bunch of streams in the higher Sierra here where the brook trout
    only get to 8 or 10 inches. Seems to have more to do with available food
    supplies than anything else. They still taste pretty good, though.
    Yeah, small streams = small fish, the most part.
    Before we started stocking only the small spring fed mountain streams were cold enough through the summer to support Brookies in Georgia, which are basically the only trout native east of the Mississippi. Rainbow were imported from Washington state and Browns are native to Europe. Both of which would be considered invasive species if they were not so delicious and fun to catch.

  13. #38
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I got all rainbows this year. The only "trout" native to Georgia is the Brook trout (which is actually not a trout but a type of charr).
    We do have wild breeding populations of rainbow, and browns in the north of the state but they are introduced and supported by the state hatchery.
    I hear that jcharr are almost as delicious as bass.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  14. #39
    Senior Member smoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    623
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any John Gierach fans here? Just one of the best trout and fly-fishing writers around.

  15. #40
    Senior Member Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,757
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smoore View Post
    Any John Gierach fans here? Just one of the best trout and fly-fishing writers around.
    http://www.amazon.com/Trout-Fishing-.../dp/1561454036
    ^^^^
    If you live in Georgia and fish trout, then you need Jimmy Jacobs' book gospel.

  16. #41
    RIP Sonny RaleighSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    STS
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Posts
    6,224
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    If you ain't cheating you ain't playing to win.
    Just found out, next years salmon season should be contaminated by japanese nuclear run off.. guess I'll cheat next year.

  17. #42
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Mudville, I mean Monroe.
    I am in far western Georgia. Richardson Texas to be exact.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  18. #43
    Senior Member Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,757
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another book every Georgian on this board should own: Fred A. Birchmore's Around the World on a Bicycle. Fred gave rise to the term "Fred." Note that the real Fred ate Python instead of trail mix.

  19. #44
    Senior Member Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,757
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    I am in far western Georgia. Richardson Texas to be exact.
    I have a map somewhere that shows that to be true.

  20. #45
    Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour ModoVincere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,676
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Another book every Georgian on this board should own: Fred A. Birchmore's Around the World on a Bicycle. Fred gave rise to the term "Fred." Note that the real Fred ate Python instead of trail mix.
    Python is a bit hard to come by around here. Can I substitute Eastern Diamondback instead?
    1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold

  21. #46
    Senior Member Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,757
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So long as you dispatch it with a machete, then it would be ok.

  22. #47
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Wade has used self caught and self cut brown watersnake as bait before. The bass love it.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  23. #48
    Senior Member Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,757
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    Wade has used self caught and self cut brown watersnake as bait before. The bass love it.
    Won't stop wiggling until the moon sets, or so my grandma said.

  24. #49
    Infinite Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Everywhere...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,991
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Down heah in Sandfly, GA you say trout you be talkin' 'bout something lak this:

    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

  25. #50
    Senior Member Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,757
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice haul

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •