Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-13, 09:59 AM   #1
rumrunn6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
movie trivia regarding 2 modern classic romantic comedies

I am beside myself. not only did "Sleepless in Seattle" share some story line with "An Affair to Remember", but "You've Got Mail" did the same thing with "In the Good Old Summertime"!!!
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 10:08 AM   #2
skijor 
on by
 
skijor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT
Posts: 920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I'm surprised Funny or Die, the Onion, or Collegehumor didn't satirize those two movies (SiS & YGM)...especially that both are chick flicks with the same leads.

Hollywood's major studios are out of original ideas. All they want is guaranteed $$$. Indies are the way to go.
skijor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 10:22 AM   #3
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
http://quizlet.com/9028055/o-brother...y-flash-cards/
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 10:27 AM   #4
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Bikes:
Posts: 2,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
you've got mail was sleepless in seattle, just updated.
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 10:30 AM   #5
BenzFanatic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicagoland area
Bikes:
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You've got mail is a guilty pleasure for me... It's a total feel-good movie, despite being a chick-flick.
BenzFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 10:42 AM   #6
ahsposo 
Big Blubbery Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On a floe
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I'll have what she's having...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelmatimynagle View Post
i glad turn hobbits
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 11:36 AM   #7
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skijor View Post
Hollywood's major studios are out of original ideas. All they want is guaranteed $$$.
This has been going on far longer than you have been alive. Just look at the movie "Alice in Wonderland". I'm not talking about the 2010 version with Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, or the 1999 version directed by Nick Willing, nor the 1972 version with Peter Sellers and Dudley Moore, nor Disney's 1951 version, nor the 1933 version which included Cary Grant, WC Fields and Charlotte Henry. I'm not even talking about the 1915 silent version with Viola Savoy. All remakes of the 1903 film! And there are many others that I haven't even mentioned.

Fuggedaboutit!
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 12-08-13 at 11:44 AM.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 11:40 AM   #8
ahsposo 
Big Blubbery Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On a floe
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I have to take a Wiz...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelmatimynagle View Post
i glad turn hobbits
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 12:51 PM   #9
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
To quote King Solomon

What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 01:55 PM   #10
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
To quote King Solomon

What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
It's not new, its...

__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 01:59 PM   #11
clemsongirl 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: california
Bikes:
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
Well, it does say in the beginning credits that it's loosely based on The Odyssey ….good movie, excellent book

Last edited by clemsongirl; 12-08-13 at 02:03 PM.
clemsongirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 02:10 PM   #12
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
I am beside myself. not only did "Sleepless in Seattle" share some story line with "An Affair to Remember", but "You've Got Mail" did the same thing with "In the Good Old Summertime"!!!
What!!?? Hollywood has reused a script, plot line, book, or screenplay that was previously filmed?

Who Wudda Thunk It?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 10:34 AM   #13
rumrunn6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
I'll have what she's having...
that's from When Harry Met Sally
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 10:35 AM   #14
rumrunn6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
I have to take a Wiz...
I see what you did there, very nice
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 10:40 AM   #15
skijor 
on by
 
skijor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT
Posts: 920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
This has been going on far longer than you have been alive. Just look at the movie "Alice in Wonderland". I'm not talking about the 2010 version with Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, or the 1999 version directed by Nick Willing, nor the 1972 version with Peter Sellers and Dudley Moore, nor Disney's 1951 version, nor the 1933 version which included Cary Grant, WC Fields and Charlotte Henry. I'm not even talking about the 1915 silent version with Viola Savoy. All remakes of the 1903 film! And there are many others that I haven't even mentioned.

Fuggedaboutit!
Joe Satriani and Coldplay approve of this message. Well, one of them anyhow.
skijor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 12:36 PM   #16
bikebuddha 
Senior Member
 
bikebuddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Somewhere in time
Bikes:
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
This has been going on far longer than you have been alive. Just look at the movie "Alice in Wonderland". I'm not talking about the 2010 version with Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, or the 1999 version directed by Nick Willing, nor the 1972 version with Peter Sellers and Dudley Moore, nor Disney's 1951 version, nor the 1933 version which included Cary Grant, WC Fields and Charlotte Henry. I'm not even talking about the 1915 silent version with Viola Savoy. All remakes of the 1903 film! And there are many others that I haven't even mentioned.

Fuggedaboutit!

I believe Brewters Millions is the story that's been recycled the most. Something like 10 versions of it.
__________________
The few, the proud, the likely insane, Metro-Atlanta bicycle commuters.
bikebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 01:45 PM   #17
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All I'm gonna say is Meg Ryan was very, umm....attractive in both movies.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 03:09 PM   #18
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebuddha View Post
I believe "Brewster's Millions" is the story that's been recycled the most. Something like 10 versions of it.
That's nothing compared to Godzilla!

Shōwa

Godzilla (1954)
Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964)
Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (1966)
Son of Godzilla (1967)
Destroy All Monsters (1968)
All Monsters Attack (1969)
Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)
Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)
Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Heisei

The Return of Godzilla (1984)
Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)
Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)
Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla (1994)
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

Millennium

Godzilla 2000 (1999)
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001)
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)
Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)

American films

Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956)
Godzilla (1998)
Godzilla (2014)
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 03:32 PM   #19
bikebuddha 
Senior Member
 
bikebuddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Somewhere in time
Bikes:
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
That's nothing compared to Godzilla!

Shōwa

Godzilla (1954)
Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964)
Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (1966)
Son of Godzilla (1967)
Destroy All Monsters (1968)
All Monsters Attack (1969)
Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)
Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)
Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Heisei

The Return of Godzilla (1984)
Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)
Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)
Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla (1994)
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

Millennium

Godzilla 2000 (1999)
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001)
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)
Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)

American films

Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956)
Godzilla (1998)
Godzilla (2014)

But most of those are sequels and continuations, with Brewsters Millions they keep remaking the same story.
__________________
The few, the proud, the likely insane, Metro-Atlanta bicycle commuters.
bikebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 03:41 PM   #20
colorider
smorenivore
 
colorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Littleton, CO
Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Dracula's got even more.
colorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 04:16 PM   #21
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,627
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
You've Got Mail is a remake of The Shop Around the Corner. They even called the bookshop in YGM "The Shop Around the Corner."
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 04:50 PM   #22
Will G
Senior Member
 
Will G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Granbury, Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And with superhero movie reboots like Superman and Spiderman to throw into the mix, I wonder how long it will be before they even bother with a new script.
Will G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 05:09 PM   #23
colorider
smorenivore
 
colorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Littleton, CO
Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I still can't imagine Ben Affleck as Batman. Or rather I can. Ugh
colorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:58 AM.