Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   Business Travel ... what do you take along to make it more pleasant? (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/925472-business-travel-what-do-you-take-along-make-more-pleasant.html)

Alfster 12-09-13 09:41 AM

Business Travel ... what do you take along to make it more pleasant?
 
Aside from common clothing and toiletries, what do you pack on a business trip to make your life easier / more pleasant?

Some of the items I take to make travel more bearable are:

1) MS Surface 2. This is in addition to the heavy company laptop I have to drag around on business trips. Hopefully our company smartens up and adopts newer tablet technology for the majority of business travelers.
2) My own bar of soap (Dove). Can't stand most hotel's soaps.

Wilfred Laurier 12-09-13 09:43 AM

earplugs
and
money for booze

bikebuddha 12-09-13 09:49 AM

Honestly I try and take as little as possible traveling is such an incredible pain these days the less the better.

RPK79 12-09-13 09:58 AM

You can pack pretty much all of your entertainment right into your phone now days. Netflix, Hulu+, Nook app, and whatever else might entertain you. I just bring some headphones to keep my video watching private and stick to the Nook app if I'm going to be away from a charger for long periods (my phone will let me read a book on it all day without needing a charge). That's really all I need. Not that I do a ton of business travel in my current line of business (cost accounting).

prathmann 12-09-13 10:00 AM

1) My Bike Friday Pocket Rocket for exploring a different city and surroundings before/after meetings. (Sometimes take the trailer/suitcase too if it's convenient to ride to/from the airport.)
2) GPS to find my way around (whether walking, biking, or driving)
3) Kindle

jdon 12-09-13 10:10 AM

My bicycle, a photo of the wife,kids and dogs. iPod. My own blend of tea. Kindle. Laptop. My own soap as well.

genec 12-09-13 10:30 AM

Books... they help alleviate the boredom of long airflights, and are very portable. Earplugs, they help reduce the overwhelming noise of long airflights... other than that I pack very light. I have not traveled with anything but carry-on for well over 20 years, and at times can carry just what I need in a small knapsack.

RPK79 12-09-13 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genec (Post 16314411)
Books... they help alleviate the boredom of long airflights, and are very portable. Earplugs, they help reduce the overwhelming noise of long airflights... other than that I pack very light. I have not traveled with anything but carry-on for well over 20 years, and at times can carry just what I need in a small knapsack.

I love the feel of a book in my hands, but I've converted to reading books on my phone now for portability reasons (other than a few favorites that I always buy the 1st edition hardcover and get signed). I find myself reading a lot more often now since I ALWAYS have my book with me.

genec 12-09-13 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPK79 (Post 16314452)
I love the feel of a book in my hands, but I've converted to reading books on my phone now for portability reasons (other than a few favorites that I always buy the 1st edition hardcover and get signed). I find myself reading a lot more often now since I ALWAYS have my book with me.

Yeah I still prefer paper... the feeling, the smell and the fact that they work without batteries... I also enjoy adding notations in the margins of some books and that still works best with pencil and paper.

RPK79 12-09-13 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genec (Post 16314558)
Yeah I still prefer paper... the feeling, the smell and the fact that they work without batteries... I also enjoy adding notations in the margins of some books and that still works best with pencil and paper.

You can highlight a section of an e-book and make a notes on it. You can also search through the book for words or phrases. Also, if you don't know the meaning to a word you can highlight it and look it up. I do like flipping through paper though. I don't miss losing my page though!

Artkansas 12-09-13 11:40 AM

An inflatable pillow, not one of those horse collar jobs, but a real 4 sided one. It lets you lean against the air frame and cancels the vibrations.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...2L._SX450_.jpg

mrodgers 12-09-13 08:03 PM

Since I am the technician and not one of the engineers, salesmen, or business men, I am the one doing the work if I have to travel.

The first time I traveled, I had my steeltoe boots, my earplugs, my safety glasses and I forgot one thing, a safety lock. I had to enter into the equipment's molding area and didn't know what to do. I asked one of the guys whom I was working with from the company I was visiting if they had a safety lock I could use to isolate the power and he looked at me like I was an idiot, LOL.

I had to work with a broom handle from outside of the press. No way I was entering into a 6000 psi hydraulic press with the capability of someone else energizing it, nor would I allow them to enter their machine that I was operating.

Other than clothes and my safety equipment (sans the lock) I didn't have a company laptop at the time, didn't have a laptop myself, there was no such things as smartphones or tablets, pretty much all I took was a book.

Didn't even have time to read any of the book. The salesman I was meeting from our corporate office asked me in the airport, "do you play golf?" I responded that I don't play golf and he said, "Well, you do now." LOL. Ended up on the golf course with no idea what I was doing until dark, dinner at something like 9 pm (I am use to eating between 4 and 4:30 so we can all eat together after the kids get home and before my wife leaves for work) and crashed at 10 pm in the room exhausted.

Alfster 12-09-13 09:32 PM

jdon, we still need to meet up some time when you're in Edmonton. I still need to meet up with sixty fiver too ... but I've been too busy traveling. Like the photo of family. I have a few picks on the blackberry :)

jdon 12-09-13 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfster (Post 16316463)
jdon, we still need to meet up some time when you're in Edmonton. I still need to meet up with sixty fiver too ... but I've been too busy traveling. Like the photo of family. I have a few picks on the blackberry :)

That will be nice. It will have to wait for the new year though as I am out of here Thursday and won't be back until Jan 15. Well needed break.

Pamestique 12-10-13 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikebuddha (Post 16314270)
Honestly I try and take as little as possible traveling is such an incredible pain these days the less the better.

words of wisdom... I travel just about every week... I find other than the very essential clothes and toileties I need, I take nothing else... its all a hassle to drag through an airport. I've learned to just relax and rest while on a plane... don't need mindless entertainment to keep myself occupied. Once I am at my destination I am too busy to worry about anything else.

jdswitters 12-10-13 10:12 AM

I'm on a plane an average of every two weeks and also believe in going light to avoid hassle. My one entertainment other than a magazine or a book is a small book of sudoku puzzles.

RPK79 12-10-13 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrodgers (Post 16316236)
Since I am the technician and not one of the engineers, salesmen, or business men, I am the one doing the work if I have to travel.

The first time I traveled, I had my steeltoe boots, my earplugs, my safety glasses and I forgot one thing, a safety lock. I had to enter into the equipment's molding area and didn't know what to do. I asked one of the guys whom I was working with from the company I was visiting if they had a safety lock I could use to isolate the power and he looked at me like I was an idiot, LOL.

I had to work with a broom handle from outside of the press. No way I was entering into a 6000 psi hydraulic press with the capability of someone else energizing it, nor would I allow them to enter their machine that I was operating.

Other than clothes and my safety equipment (sans the lock) I didn't have a company laptop at the time, didn't have a laptop myself, there was no such things as smartphones or tablets, pretty much all I took was a book.

Didn't even have time to read any of the book. The salesman I was meeting from our corporate office asked me in the airport, "do you play golf?" I responded that I don't play golf and he said, "Well, you do now." LOL. Ended up on the golf course with no idea what I was doing until dark, dinner at something like 9 pm (I am use to eating between 4 and 4:30 so we can all eat together after the kids get home and before my wife leaves for work) and crashed at 10 pm in the room exhausted.

I'm amazed that there are still companies out there without lockout tagout procedures. How do they find companies willing to insure them?

overthehillmedi 12-10-13 11:54 AM

I bet I know what the first thing that went into his suitcase on his next trip was. :)

Wilfred Laurier 12-10-13 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPK79 (Post 16317690)
I'm amazed that there are still companies out there without lockout tagout procedures. How do they find companies willing to insure them?

from readning his post
i assumed the incident happened some time
in the somewhat distant past

ModoVincere 12-10-13 12:25 PM

hookers and blow

Wilfred Laurier 12-10-13 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModoVincere (Post 16318086)
hookers and blow

generally both can be found at your destination
which saves a packing hassle

mrodgers 12-10-13 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier (Post 16318075)
from readning his post
i assumed the incident happened some time
in the somewhat distant past

FYI, around 2004. Don't know if you would consider that distant past or not. We've been doing Lockout/Tagout since we opened in 1995 and I also did Lockout/Tagout starting around 1989 working in a grocery store.

bjtesch 12-10-13 08:58 PM

I don't travel a lot for business but I travel to visit family, etc. I carry something to read, and my small laptop if possible. That's all that I need to occupy my time. I get really grumpy if I have to go somewhere that doesn't have internet access.

I've seen people on airplanes wearing noise-canceling headphones. That might be good for relaxing on the plane but I don't travel enough to justify the expense and it also bothers me to be completely cut off from my surroundings.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 PM.