Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   Comcast! $#**))! (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/925640-comcast.html)

bikebuddha 12-10-13 01:02 PM

Comcast! $#**))!
 
I really didn't think it was possible for me to hate comcast anymore than I did, but they kept working at it and by god they've done it. Now they've encrypted the local HD channels so I can't watch WSB without a box or a funky antenna. They really are the worst aren't they.


ModoVincere 12-10-13 01:04 PM

Time to vote with the wallet.

bikebuddha 12-10-13 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModoVincere (Post 16318208)
Time to vote with the wallet.


Yeah seriously considering hopping to AT&T

spacemanz 12-10-13 01:36 PM

Don't get me started on com-crap. Last year, I was late on my December cable bill, & they actually started calling me, to see what was the problem. I politely informed them, that harassment, especially un-necessary and unprovoked, is illegal, and told them NOT to call my number again. I paid my bill in full the next month, and they tacked on some crazy late fees. So this year, I intentionally missed a payment, just to see what they do. I mean come on, these guys must think they're the new Mafia or something. WTF? It was the American middle class that funded all this technological progress, so it'll probably have to be us, who puts these greedy corporations in their freakin' place. We just need a good reverse-conspiracy conspiracy. :D

no motor? 12-10-13 01:45 PM

The only people I know that love them work for the post office, and that's because all their junk mail means job security.

jsharr 12-10-13 02:00 PM

gotta have box for at&t too I believe. I have to have them for uverse.

bikebuddha 12-10-13 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsharr (Post 16318421)
gotta have box for at&t too I believe. I have to have them for uverse.

Yeah I know it's just ridiculous. I have a TV in my office and just about all I watch on it is news maybe I try an amplified antenna.

Pamestique 12-10-13 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikebuddha (Post 16318229)
Yeah seriously considering hopping to AT&T

I have a Time Warner - I would love to have Comcast... not certain any of them are qworth what we pay...

RPK79 12-10-13 02:20 PM

I had Comcast set up internet at my office and it took them 3 months to hook it up. I only use the office seasonally for taxes and it was last February when I wanted them to come in and set it up since I was tired of using a spotty MiFi device for internet. I figured it would be nice to close out the season with something decent. Well, the season was over before they ever got it up and running. Now I've been paying $65/mo for a service I have yet to even use.

BenzFanatic 12-10-13 04:32 PM

Don't even get me started on Crapcast! I had no other choices for providers in my last place, and I worked from home, and CONSTANTLY had problems. I will say though, their customer service reps and field reps are particularly friendly, but I found that with ATT too.

And Amen Pamestique... none of them are probably worth their ridiculous prices

MillCreek 12-10-13 04:39 PM

Several months ago in Western Washington, Comcast started scrambling their signal such that you needed to have and pay for a set-top box to receive even the local free broadcast channels. You could no longer run a coax cable from the wall outlet to your TV to watch the free broadcast channels. They said at the time that they would eventually implement this same policy for all Comcast subscribers in all areas. Most areas around Seattle cannot receive a decent signal with an interior or exterior antenna, so you end up paying for cable service from somebody.

BenzFanatic 12-10-13 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MillCreek (Post 16318960)
Several months ago in Western Washington, Comcast started scrambling their signal such that you needed to have and pay for a set-top box to receive even the local free broadcast channels. You could no longer run a coax cable from the wall outlet to your TV to watch the free broadcast channels. They said at the time that they would eventually implement this same policy for all Comcast subscribers in all areas. Most areas around Seattle cannot receive a decent signal with an interior or exterior antenna, so you end up paying for cable service from somebody.

It's been that way here in Chicago for a few years now and I'm fairly sure it's for all tv, not just comcast subscribers, here anyways. The stations went digital. Stinks.

bikebuddha 12-10-13 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenzFanatic (Post 16319057)
It's been that way here in Chicago for a few years now and I'm fairly sure it's for all tv, not just comcast subscribers, here anyways. The stations went digital. Stinks.

If you have a tv with a digital tuner it should be able to pick up OTA signals with an antenna.

cafzali 12-10-13 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenzFanatic (Post 16319057)
It's been that way here in Chicago for a few years now and I'm fairly sure it's for all tv, not just comcast subscribers, here anyways. The stations went digital. Stinks.

Right. I've never had Comcast or lived in their territory, although areas in NJ have them. That said, with Time Warner, Cablevision and others, I've had to have some sort of box for signal descrambling purposes, even before things went digital. I'm no cable apologist, but if they didn't do that, theft of service would be rampant.

the sci guy 12-10-13 05:29 PM

Don't get me started.
I'm of the mind that cable should be a la carte, and internet should cost next to nothing. It grinds my gears the government lets telecoms get away with screwing literally everyone in the country.

We've quasi-cut the cord. We have the most basic cable package from Uverse, but a 20mb internet connection. I don't get all the channels I'd like (again, a la carte is such a no-brainer its no wonder the idiots in charge won't let us do it), but I do get some good ones besides local networks. Oh, it's also not HD because of course that's extra. To go along with that we are Amazon Prime members and we have a Roku. Between Amazon, and me finding the shows we miss via bit torrent, we're covered, and we pay about $65/month total (most of that is the internet).

If you're not an Amazon Prime member, I can't recommend it enough. Not only do you get FREE two-day shipping on all Prime eligible products on Amazon, which is almost all, you get thousands of free movies and tv shows streaming through Amazon Instant Video. We watch them through the Roku in HD. (BTW the Roku is not a monthly fee. You buy the device, it's yours, you're done.) And Prime is only $79/year. Not monthly. Half that if you're a student.

The only thing I miss is games on ESPN - and usually that only means college football/basketball. Luckily I have a login for ESPN3.com and the WatchESPN app on the iPad so I can catch those games.

As far as I'm concerned, all telecoms suck. Run by crooks. The whole system is a racket.

bikebuddha 12-10-13 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cafzali (Post 16319096)
Right. I've never had Comcast or lived in their territory, although areas in NJ have them. That said, with Time Warner, Cablevision and others, I've had to have some sort of box for signal descrambling purposes, even before things went digital. I'm no cable apologist, but if they didn't do that, theft of service would be rampant.

But i don't need a box for descrambling cable channels, I have that on my main TVs now they want me to have a box for watching my local channels,

MillCreek 12-10-13 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikebuddha (Post 16319070)
If you have a tv with a digital tuner it should be able to pick up OTA signals with an antenna.

I have tried this very thing. Of the 22 local broadcast stations, I can get about eight of them in watchable quality. The others, such as the local ABC, CBS and PBS affiliate, have no signal at all, or have such pixelization as to be unwatchable. But by gosh, most of the religious and Spanish channels come through in great quality. Too bad I have no interest in them.

Between the hills, trees and water, Seattle is notorious for poor TV and radio signals once you get about 20 miles out from downtown Seattle, and in some cases, even less distance than that.

HardyWeinberg 12-29-13 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MillCreek (Post 16319545)
I have tried this very thing. Of the 22 local broadcast stations, I can get about eight of them in watchable quality. The others, such as the local ABC, CBS and PBS affiliate, have no signal at all, or have such pixelization as to be unwatchable. But by gosh, most of the religious and Spanish channels come through in great quality. Too bad I have no interest in them.

I have been wondering about trying an antenna at the pointy top of our house to see if it could get signals from Seattle, 52 miles to the north apparently. A lot of topography and trees between here and there, though.

Hey MillCreek, you could give me a positive (or is it negative) control of that website's accuracy by plugging in your location and comparing your actual reception to what it predicts.

MillCreek 12-29-13 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg (Post 16365755)
I have been wondering about trying an antenna at the pointy top of our house to see if it could get signals from Seattle, 52 miles to the north apparently. A lot of topography and trees between here and there, though.

Hey MillCreek, you could give me a positive (or is it negative) control of that website's accuracy by plugging in your location and comparing your actual reception to what it predicts.

OK, I will try this on Tuesday and report back. We are up in Vancouver now for our anniversary, eh.

HardyWeinberg 12-29-13 01:12 PM

félicitations!

mikeybikes 12-29-13 01:13 PM

Just about a month ago, Comcast did the same thing here. We had Internet + basic cable without any STB. I cancelled the TV service when I could no longer get local HD channels. Bought a roof top antenna. Our TV picks up all of the local channels OTA and at a better quality than the compressed crap Comcast transmits. What I was paying for basic cable was the biggest waste of money.

mikeybikes 12-29-13 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg (Post 16365755)
Hey MillCreek, you could give me a positive (or is it negative) control of that website's accuracy by plugging in your location and comparing your actual reception to what it predicts.

Very accurate for us: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae556669f024

We are only ten miles though from the transmitter, and have just a medium sized directional antenna with a couple large spruce trees in the way. Our old TV wouldn't pick up channel 4 despite being on the same tower as other channels that we did get. The new TV we just bought though picks everything up just fine. From what I've gathered, the quality of the tuner in your TV is just as important as the antenna itself.

spinnaker 12-29-13 02:58 PM

I gave up paid TV service a couple of years ago and glad I did. I am using Windows Media Center with XBMC. Everything is recorded ota. I supplement with Amazon and a few other online services. I have DSL at $20 a month.

There is very little on cable anymore bto make the cost worth it.. Too many reality shows and infomercials.

I plan on moving in a few months and most likely won't be able to get DSL and will be stuck with Verizon or Comcast.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:40 AM.