Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-13, 10:16 PM   #1
bjtesch
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Irving, TX
Bikes: Schwinn Paramount
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anybody use Windows 8?

So my main question is how do you actually open apps using it?

I was in a store looking at laptops and tried to use one of them with Windows 8. I tried opening various apps on the screen using the mouse pointer and clicking on them, it was a laptop so I was using the trackpad to move the cursor around. I couldn't get any apps to open. They would react when I clicked on them but wouldn't actually open. Then I thought well it's a touchscreen laptop, so I started using my finger on the screen like I would with a tablet. I could move the screens around and the tiles would react when I touched them but I still couldn't get any apps to open. There were no employees available to help me so I left in frustration.
bjtesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 12:04 AM   #2
jdon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to Windows 8. It has been beaten to death here and rightfully so.

I don't like the interface so have it reverted back to desktop. Found the interface frustrating and unusable without a touchscreen.

Last edited by jdon; 12-14-13 at 12:52 AM.
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 09:05 AM   #3
ahsposo 
Big Blubbery Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On a floe
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
The root problem of Windows 8 is MS seems to have forgotten people that use computers will do a thing called multitasking. Being able to shift between windows and open programs quickly is a big deal for me.

I am forced to engage in webinars, conference calls, being put on hold for a wait for technical support, etc. I like to play card games while my attention isn't fully engaged. With W8 I can't do this and right now it is my biggest complaint with the OS. If I can find a game pack for W8 that doesn't play in the entire screen I'll be OK with it. I've learned to go right to a desktop that's almost like the previous versions and I'm OK with it. It boots up fast, shows my camera's raw files in Windows Explorer and Photo Viewer and the battery life on this new box is phenomenal.

BTW I currently use W8, W7, Vista on a daily basis. I like W7 the best.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelmatimynagle View Post
i glad turn hobbits
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 12:39 PM   #4
no1mad
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtesch View Post
So my main question is how do you actually open apps using it?

I was in a store looking at laptops and tried to use one of them with Windows 8. I tried opening various apps on the screen using the mouse pointer and clicking on them, it was a laptop so I was using the trackpad to move the cursor around. I couldn't get any apps to open. They would react when I clicked on them but wouldn't actually open. Then I thought well it's a touchscreen laptop, so I started using my finger on the screen like I would with a tablet. I could move the screens around and the tiles would react when I touched them but I still couldn't get any apps to open. There were no employees available to help me so I left in frustration.
When you clicked on a tile, did it go full screen and did you notice a spinning wheel comprised of stars? If so, then it was probably the first time that app was used since install (or it was applying updates).
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 01:02 PM   #5
no1mad
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
The root problem of Windows 8 is MS seems to have forgotten people that use computers will do a thing called multitasking. Being able to shift between windows and open programs quickly is a big deal for me.

I am forced to engage in webinars, conference calls, being put on hold for a wait for technical support, etc. I like to play card games while my attention isn't fully engaged. With W8 I can't do this and right now it is my biggest complaint with the OS. If I can find a game pack for W8 that doesn't play in the entire screen I'll be OK with it. I've learned to go right to a desktop that's almost like the previous versions and I'm OK with it. It boots up fast, shows my camera's raw files in Windows Explorer and Photo Viewer and the battery life on this new box is phenomenal.

BTW I currently use W8, W7, Vista on a daily basis. I like W7 the best.
Have you tried to run apps in a split screen? You can snap one app to either the right or left panel of the display and another app (which includes the Desktop) will take up the remainder of the real estate. If you need to go full screen again on either one, simply resize the window by dragging it towards the side of the screen and this will not result in the app being closed.

Also, if you have just two apps open, say Desktop and a game of some kind, you can switch quickly between the two by simply "swiping in" from the left of the screen.

Note to those unfamiliar: You can disable this feature if you like. Also, if you run multiple apps at once it is quicker to switch by putting the cursor to the top left and then hover down the left side of the screen (don't click until you see the app you want).
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 02:06 PM   #6
ahsposo 
Big Blubbery Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On a floe
Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Posts: 7,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
I just like (probably because for the last 18 years or so it's what I done) having stacks of windows on my desktop that I can arrange, adjust size and switch between easily, without conscious thought. That snapped app crap isn't the way I work and I'm not wanting to change.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelmatimynagle View Post
i glad turn hobbits
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 11:58 PM   #7
bjtesch
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Irving, TX
Bikes: Schwinn Paramount
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
When you clicked on a tile, did it go full screen and did you notice a spinning wheel comprised of stars?
Click on the icon or touch the icon and a small check mark appears in the upper righthand corner. Click or touch it again and the check mark disappears. Nothing else happens.
bjtesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 12:34 AM   #8
no1mad
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtesch View Post
Click on the icon or touch the icon and a small check mark appears in the upper righthand corner. Click or touch it again and the check mark disappears. Nothing else happens.
Somebody changed the mouse settings to "lefty" mode. What you describe happens when you right click on a tile.

That being said, right clicking on a tile should also reveal a menu pop up along the bottom of the screen that would allow you to unpin it from the Start menu, resize it, uninstall, and "turn off" a live tile.
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 12:51 AM   #9
bjtesch
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Irving, TX
Bikes: Schwinn Paramount
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
Somebody changed the mouse settings to "lefty" mode.
Must be a geek's idea of a prank- go into a store where the computers aren't closely supervised and change all of them to "lefty" mode.
bjtesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 01:00 AM   #10
Dave Cutter
Senior Member
 
Dave Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: D'uh... I am a Cutter
Bikes: '14 Trek 1.1, '10 Fuji Finest 3.0, '98 Cannondale R500, '88 Trek 360
Posts: 4,931
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I predate windows 3.0 but also used it..... currently using 8.1 (upgraded from 8 the first week the upgrade became available. And... I've used about everything between DOS and 8.1 including 2 versions of NT. I rarely speak of it in public.. but... I even used ME.

XP was the best OS that was ever created... for the hardware available at the time it was introduced. 7 is the best OS you can load on a PC today.

Lately I've also played with Apple ipod, ipad, and iphone. For many uses... tablets work fine. I prefer Apple over Android tablets... and Android over windows.

I am retired now and currently run 8.1, 7, 2ea Vista's, 3ea XP's, ipad, and Android 4.0, and 2ea iphones.
Dave Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 06:15 PM   #11
gitarzan
Lost Again
 
gitarzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Columbus, Oh!
Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.
Posts: 1,041
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Classic Shell will make Windows 8 much more palatable.

http://www.classicshell.net/
gitarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 07:42 PM   #12
Nachoman
Senior Member
 
Nachoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Point Loma, CA
Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)
Posts: 14,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I paid extra money to downgrade my laptop to windows 7.
__________________
.
.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Nachoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 10:21 PM   #13
mikeybikes
Senior Member
 
mikeybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edgewater, CO
Bikes: Tons
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't mind Windows 8, in fact, I don't see a reason to not get it. You get used to the interface design changes and the new start screen. I also wouldn't be in a hurry to upgrade from 7 either.
mikeybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 10:40 PM   #14
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
Posts: 12,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I loves me windows 8.












but only on my surface pro.
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 12:44 PM   #15
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 11,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
I just like (probably because for the last 18 years or so it's what I done) having stacks of windows on my desktop that I can arrange, adjust size and switch between easily, without conscious thought. That snapped app crap isn't the way I work and I'm not wanting to change.
Yeah, me too. I typically have 10-12 windows open across 3 screens. I arrange them so they're all visible simultaneously without any overlap. Saves me a tonne of time as I don't waste mouse-drags and clicks just to see the data I need.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 01:45 PM   #16
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,631
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
Have you tried to run apps in a split screen? You can snap one app to either the right or left panel of the display and another app (which includes the Desktop) will take up the remainder of the real estate. If you need to go full screen again on either one, simply resize the window by dragging it towards the side of the screen and this will not result in the app being closed.

Also, if you have just two apps open, say Desktop and a game of some kind, you can switch quickly between the two by simply "swiping in" from the left of the screen.

Note to those unfamiliar: You can disable this feature if you like. Also, if you run multiple apps at once it is quicker to switch by putting the cursor to the top left and then hover down the left side of the screen (don't click until you see the app you want).
How does that work with multiple screens... which is the setup I have with Win 7 and the various apps that I use... often moving or copying files from one window (location) to another.

In fact my biggest annoyances with win 7 are the "library" crap (only useful if you do the same thing day in and day out) and the fact that it seems to handle zip files poorly... I have had more "issues" with win 7 and zip files being corrupted than I ever had with XP. Also I think there is a caching feature that causes some issues with large network servers I also access.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 01:46 PM   #17
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,631
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtesch View Post
Must be a geek's idea of a prank- go into a store where the computers aren't closely supervised and change all of them to "lefty" mode.
Ultimate geek prank is to take a screen shot of the desktop and make that screen shot full screen, so it looks like the active desktop.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 02:14 PM   #18
jdon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It would have been more appropriately named Windows H8.
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 02:22 PM   #19
RPK79
Senior Member
 
RPK79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE MN
Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Fuji Track Classic
Posts: 7,864
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
I like 8. Fastest way to open a program is hit the windows key to bring up the start page then start typing the name of the program until it is on the top of the list and then hit enter. I don't have a lot of apps so I'm almost always on the desktop and it all runs identical to any of the older versions.
RPK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 02:40 PM   #20
Cyclosaurus
Senior Member
 
Cyclosaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago Western 'burbs
Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly
Posts: 1,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
I like 8. Fastest way to open a program is hit the windows key to bring up the start page then start typing the name of the program until it is on the top of the list and then hit enter. I don't have a lot of apps so I'm almost always on the desktop and it all runs identical to any of the older versions.
Windows 7 has the same feature. If you hit the windows key the keyboard focus goes to the search box at the bottom of the start menu.
Cyclosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 02:43 PM   #21
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,631
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
I like 8. Fastest way to open a program is hit the windows key to bring up the start page then start typing the name of the program until it is on the top of the list and then hit enter. I don't have a lot of apps so I'm almost always on the desktop and it all runs identical to any of the older versions.
The key is "I don't have a lot of apps..."
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 02:48 PM   #22
RPK79
Senior Member
 
RPK79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE MN
Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Fuji Track Classic
Posts: 7,864
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
The key is "I don't have a lot of apps..."
Nothing forcing you to use the apps...
RPK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 04:55 PM   #23
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,631
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
Nothing forcing you to use the apps...
You seem to be missing the point... when you have "only a handful of apps," then finding them, even by typing their first letter is easy... when you have a ton of apps, then things are vastly more complicated.

So it is not a matter of anybody forcing you to use apps... Which in itself is funny as the computer should be more than just the OS... it should be apps.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 04:58 PM   #24
RPK79
Senior Member
 
RPK79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE MN
Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Fuji Track Classic
Posts: 7,864
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
You seem to be missing the point... when you have "only a handful of apps," then finding them, even by typing their first letter is easy... when you have a ton of apps, then things are vastly more complicated.

So it is not a matter of anybody forcing you to use apps... Which in itself is funny as the computer should be more than just the OS... it should be apps.
Well apps are different than programs. I have plenty of programs on my computer, just not a lot of apps. The programs I run work in a window environment that others have mentioned they prefer over the new app style software that runs full screen.
RPK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 05:05 PM   #25
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,631
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
Well apps are different than programs. I have plenty of programs on my computer, just not a lot of apps. The programs I run work in a window environment that others have mentioned they prefer over the new app style software that runs full screen.
Actually apps are programs... they just run differently.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:00 AM.