Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: dog chews

  1. #1
    on by skijor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Trek 730, Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Vision R40
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    dog chews

    I've been keeping the Nylabone company in biz for the last few years. Found out yesterday from the vet that my bigger dog has a cracked tooth. Picked up a couple of these. My smaller dog had hers gone in ~half hour. Gotta find something with a lifespan somewhere between a half hour and six months. At nearly $6 a pop, these are not gonna work. Still cheaper than an end table. Gonna have to get real bones.


  2. #2
    smorenivore colorider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    My Bikes
    '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure they are actually chewing them and not swallowing big portions whole. That was the problem with Greenies and my dogs.
    One does not simply ride their bike into Mordor! - electrik

  3. #3
    on by skijor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Trek 730, Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Vision R40
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked on them a couple times and they were chewing the ends. Next thing I know they're gone. Guess they won't be as hungry come suppertime.

  4. #4
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,019
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Avoid cow hooves. They look okay in the store, but when a dog's saliva gets added to the mix the smell is sickening.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member GP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,036
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We get 6" bones from the butcher.

  6. #6
    on by skijor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Trek 730, Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Vision R40
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    We get 6" bones from the butcher.
    I've been getting most of my beef and pork from a local butcher, but have never inquired about bones. Will do so next time I restock the freezer. No pork bones though. IIRC, they're too likely to sliver.

  7. #7
    Senior Member GP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,036
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the ones we get are cow shin bones. We get them cut at 6" so it takes a little longer for the dog to get the marrow out.

    Pick them up before you go to bed if the dog has them inside. I've sat and cried several times after stepping on them in the middle of the night. Hooves are even worse.

  8. #8
    on by skijor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Trek 730, Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Vision R40
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    I think the ones we get are cow shin bones. We get them cut at 6" so it takes a little longer for the dog to get the marrow out.

    Pick them up before you go to bed if the dog has them inside. I've sat and cried several times after stepping on them in the middle of the night. Hooves are even worse.
    Knock on wood, I've expected to go ice skating (so to speak) atop a nylabone en route to the bathroom. Hasn't happened yet.
    Also, the potential of bones to stain light colored rugs.

  9. #9
    Juicy, Sweet Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Out of the Patch, In your Face
    My Bikes
    My All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,321
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Big male lab just decided to use my neighbor's shi-poo (neutered) as a chew toy.

    Wasn't good for neighborly relations.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    This reminds me why I never go into road...........thanks guys.

  10. #10
    covered in cat fur katsrevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    PA, USA
    My Bikes
    '85 Schwinn World Tourist
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bull penises. They sell the things as 'bully sticks'. Dogs love them and they are safe to eat but slow to chew. Get big ones for big dogs. I have an ankle biter so I get small ones.

  11. #11
    Juicy, Sweet Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Out of the Patch, In your Face
    My Bikes
    My All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,321
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's kind of a nice feminist image...

    Here, chew on this dead penis.

    You'll feel better.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    This reminds me why I never go into road...........thanks guys.

  12. #12
    covered in cat fur katsrevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    PA, USA
    My Bikes
    '85 Schwinn World Tourist
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, better than wasting them I guess. Never really thought about it. LOL

    They also make very nice men's canes out of the things.

  13. #13
    on by skijor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Trek 730, Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Vision R40
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katsrevenge View Post
    Bull penises. They sell the things as 'bully sticks'. Dogs love them and they are safe to eat but slow to chew. Get big ones for big dogs. I have an ankle biter so I get small ones.
    I thought you were kidding. This is Foo after all.

  14. #14
    covered in cat fur katsrevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    PA, USA
    My Bikes
    '85 Schwinn World Tourist
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skijor View Post
    I thought you were kidding. This is Foo after all.
    Nope. And, unlike rawhide or hooves, they are not likely to give a dog death poo or something as they are just dry meat. My chi loves the damn things. I should get her a new one soon. Haven't seen the old one in a week or so.

    http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/...Bully%20Sticks


    Dogs LOVE them.

    (foo or not I recommend them to everyone!)

  15. #15
    Juicy, Sweet Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Out of the Patch, In your Face
    My Bikes
    My All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,321
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I pass on chewing on one but will definitely look into a walking stick.

    Look for an edit...........
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    This reminds me why I never go into road...........thanks guys.

  16. #16
    Let your bike be the tool cranky old road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NC/SC border
    My Bikes
    '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '96 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome
    Posts
    795
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Busy Buddy" toys are nylon and rubber but designed to hold consumable rawhide rings.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing...

  17. #17
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use knuckle bones. Great for dogs teeth.

  18. #18
    Trek 500 Kid Zinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Spokane WA
    My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Posts
    1,848
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfster View Post
    We use knuckle bones. Great for dogs teeth.
    I have kind of inherited an Olde English Bulldogge and his problem is eating chewies that aren't properly chewed then puking on my d****d carpet. He's pretty careless with bones too so I'll have to find something that holds up and doesn't splinter. I think I'm going to try knuckle bones.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

  19. #19
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,019
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A length of flat nylon climbing line with knots tied in it makes a wonderful and chewable dog toy.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  20. #20
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
    I have kind of inherited an Olde English Bulldogge and his problem is eating chewies that aren't properly chewed then puking on my d****d carpet. He's pretty careless with bones too so I'll have to find something that holds up and doesn't splinter. I think I'm going to try knuckle bones.
    Make sure you get a large sized one. We have yet to have a knuckle bone splinter on us.

  21. #21
    Rolling along
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skijor View Post
    I've been keeping the Nylabone company in biz for the last few years. Found out yesterday from the vet that my bigger dog has a cracked tooth. Picked up a couple of these. My smaller dog had hers gone in ~half hour. Gotta find something with a lifespan somewhere between a half hour and six months. At nearly $6 a pop, these are not gonna work. Still cheaper than an end table. Gonna have to get real bones.

    Gave one of those suckers to my aussie pup, a few minutes later he had an end off and it stuck in his throat, he managed to crawl to me, luckily I was nearby, got it out, big mistake.
    Pigs ears, or another dog, best yet is a 5" ball with small spikes, great for the teeth, the older dogs ignore it, it squeaks when crushed and is to big to swallow.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Nanaimo.B.C. The We't coast of Canada
    Posts
    1,285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skijor View Post
    I've been getting most of my beef and pork from a local butcher, but have never inquired about bones. Will do so next time I restock the freezer. No pork bones though. IIRC, they're too likely to sliver.
    If your butcher has a smoker get him/her to put a couple of knuckle bones in there for a day or two. Helps to keep the smel down and the my dog loves them.

  23. #23
    Wookie Fred chewybrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    East Florida
    My Bikes
    '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are very tough and my dog loves them.

    They bounce randomly if you toss them. They last a very long time, and my dog can destroy a cheap toy in an hour.

    Campione Del Mondo Immaginario

  24. #24
    on by skijor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Trek 730, Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Vision R40
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ursle View Post
    Gave one of those suckers to my aussie pup, a few minutes later he had an end off and it stuck in his throat, he managed to crawl to me, luckily I was nearby, got it out, big mistake.
    Pigs ears, or another dog, best yet is a 5" ball with small spikes, great for the teeth, the older dogs ignore it, it squeaks when crushed and is to big to swallow.
    My smaller dog is half Aussie. She ate it so fast that I was similarly concerned that she had swallowed a big chunk. She hadn't. She's just a power chewer.
    I'll look for the ball thingee. Although things with squeakers generally don't stand a chance with her, I'd give it a shot.

  25. #25
    on by skijor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Trek 730, Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Vision R40
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    If your butcher has a smoker get him/her to put a couple of knuckle bones in there for a day or two. Helps to keep the smel down and the my dog loves them.
    I will ask. Good suggestion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •