Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,157
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    We need an Olympic Hockey thread..

    As Canada announces its mens team, I am disappointed by name number one..

    Roberto Luongo in net, whose occasional lucky save is exceeded in spades by his blunders and ignorance of position. I guess we are hoping for luck.

    My prediction for the outcomes this year:

    Gold- USA
    Silver- Sweden
    Bronze- Canada

    What say you?
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

  2. #2
    Senior Member eddiepliers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2011 Scott Addict R3 and Redline Conquest with Campy Veloce
    Posts
    660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who would you rather have in the net? Carey Price? As a Canadiens fan, I hate that guy, but he seems to get all the accolades and when Halak got booted, I got jacked. And don't get me started on my hometown goalie, Marc-Andre Fleury. He spends more time behind the goal than in front of it..

    As far as teams go, you see faults everywhere. Gold for the US, maybe. As a goalie fan, I'm surprised to see Miller in there. I really do see gold for Canada again. There are plenty of solid players that can take down anyone. Also, you have Sweden as a silver. I'm not sure to be honest. Sweden and Finland have had great teams, but can't seem to gel together and somehow fall apart.

    Edit: Now that I see Canada has announced their team, I'm happy Marc Andre Fleury is out and sad to see that Martin St. Louis in not in. I really figured he'd get a spot on the roster.
    Last edited by eddiepliers; 01-07-14 at 11:37 AM.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canada is weak on goalie. If they can hold on i see Gold-Canada, Silver-Sweden, Bronze-USA
    Last edited by drturf; 01-07-14 at 03:25 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    332
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one thinks Russia will be in the medals? As a Canadian it pains me to say but I think they have a real good chance of taking good this year.

    They're on home ice and most of the Russian players now play in the KHL. The team will be mostly guys who play on the big ice and already have the chemistry together playing that style of hockey.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Neither here nor there
    My Bikes
    Balthorium G
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    My prediction for the outcomes this year:

    Gold- USA
    Silver- Sweden
    Bronze- Canada

    What say you?
    Are we paying Roberto the standard daily rate for his services?
    Hopefully he was the the lowest cost option in goal.

  6. #6
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,157
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiepliers View Post
    Who would you rather have in the net? Carey Price? As a Canadiens fan, I hate that guy, but he seems to get all the accolades and when Halak got booted, I got jacked. And don't get me started on my hometown goalie, Marc-Andre Fleury. He spends more time behind the goal than in front of it..

    As far as teams go, you see faults everywhere. Gold for the US, maybe. As a goalie fan, I'm surprised to see Miller in there. I really do see gold for Canada again. There are plenty of solid players that can take down anyone. Also, you have Sweden as a silver. I'm not sure to be honest. Sweden and Finland have had great teams, but can't seem to gel together and somehow fall apart.

    Edit: Now that I see Canada has announced their team, I'm happy Marc Andre Fleury is out and sad to see that Martin St. Louis in not in. I really figured he'd get a spot on the roster.
    Yeah, I think Price would have been a better choice. He is a little more consistent than Luongo and takes fewer risks. Goal tending will be our weakness.

    I agree on St. Louis. He should have been selected.
    Last edited by jdon; 01-08-14 at 05:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

  7. #7
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,157
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlyAlfaRomeo View Post
    No one thinks Russia will be in the medals? As a Canadian it pains me to say but I think they have a real good chance of taking good this year.

    They're on home ice and most of the Russian players now play in the KHL. The team will be mostly guys who play on the big ice and already have the chemistry together playing that style of hockey.
    Russia has a chance for sure and maybe being the hosts will push them along. Ovechkin is hot and will motivate his team but they too lack in goaltending.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

  8. #8
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,157
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    As Canada announces its mens team, I am disappointed by name number one..

    Roberto Luongo in net, whose occasional lucky save is exceeded in spades by his blunders and ignorance of position. I guess we are hoping for luck.

    My prediction for the outcomes this year:

    Gold- USA
    Silver- Sweden
    Bronze- Canada

    What say you?
    Not a bad guesstimate if I say so myself. Just the sequence I messed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

  9. #9
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,990
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So... Siberia has a new hockey team, the soup of the day is American tears and who else is gonna be up at 5 to watch Team Canada break out a 2-4 of whupass on those Swedes ?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    332
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be getting up. Which reminds me I should probably get to bed.

    Oh and speaking of American tears, apparently #f *ckcanada trended pretty heavily for a while over the last day or so.

  11. #11
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,990
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Chest bump !!!

    Canada 1 Sweden 0 after one period.

    Now we have to kill a lame ass penalty.

  12. #12
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,157
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3-0

    All is good with the world again..
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

  13. #13
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,990
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We own hockey.

    Price was phenomenal throughout the Olympics although the Canadian defence was about as good as it gets.

  14. #14
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,233
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    We own hockey.
    The puck stops here.

    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  15. #15
    Sore saddle cyclist Shifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Posts
    3,754
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, congrats to men and women's teams, eh?

    I should have bought stock in Canadian Beer and spirits makers a few weeks ago, oh well, another loss for the US ;-)
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

  16. #16
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,990
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    The puck stops here.

    Now he can get back to work... the gold medal is nice but the Habs need to improve their position in the Eastern Conference (even though they are in 3rd place).


  17. #17
    Senior Member spacemanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Frejus/Bertin/Cannondale
    Posts
    1,085
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats to my brother Canada-ians! Canada really does own hockey, & I think it should stay that way, for the most part. It's like the National sport.

  18. #18
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,233
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    oh well, another loss for the US ;-)
    Does this mean that we have to keep Bieber?
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  19. #19
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,157
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Does this mean that we have to keep Bieber?
    Correct
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

  20. #20
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    As Canada announces its mens team, I am disappointed by name number one..

    Roberto Luongo in net, whose occasional lucky save is exceeded in spades by his blunders and ignorance of position. I guess we are hoping for luck.

    My prediction for the outcomes this year:

    Gold- USA
    Silver- Sweden
    Bronze- Canada

    What say you?
    Jdon, you might have to hand in your Canadian citizenship based on putting Canada in 3rd . What the heck???

  21. #21
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Does this mean that we have to keep Bieber?
    Yes ... but no worries ... he comes with his own soother.

  22. #22
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,157
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfster View Post
    Jdon, you might have to hand in your Canadian citizenship based on putting Canada in 3rd . What the heck???
    Thats back when it was looking like the porous Luongo would be in net.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

  23. #23
    Senior Member no motor?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicagoland
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock
    Posts
    3,896
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Does this mean that we have to keep Bieber?
    Feel free to borrow him whenever you want.

  24. #24
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,233
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
    Feel free to borrow him whenever you want.
    For as long as they want.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •