Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-14, 11:36 PM   #1
acdronin
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: East Bay California
Bikes:
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Things I spooked on my ride today/tonight

Random thread for strange things you came across on your last ride.

Mine from the other night

Man spooked all kinds of critters tonight, way late ride, just got back. Let's see, 7 deer including a 2-point, had to chase them so they didn't get besides me and then get spooked and run into me, 1 brown fox, he ran like hell, 1 skunk, I skidded to a stop about 20 yards from him, he went tail up and froze, we squared off, each waiting to see what the other guy was gonna do, I just kept him in my lights until he decided to scamper off to the side, when I knew he was far enough away I gunned it and got past him, 1 possum, you'd be amazed how fast they can move when they're scared ****less, 1 teenager who surrendered, IDK, I came around a bend and he turned around and put his hands up, got a chuckle outta that, and finally 1 Walnut Creek cop, he (or she) was sitting in their unit, in a trailhead parking lot, facing out onto the main drag, well, the paved trail where I'm coming from is directly behind them and absolutely pitch black, that is until here I come down the trail, lights blazing at speed right up behind him. I say spooked because right as I got close the cop hits the gas, zips it across the road and wings it around to get a look at me. I just casually roll up to the stoplight and hit the button and wait for the signal.
acdronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-14, 02:24 AM   #2
c0urt
moving target
 
c0urt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: birmingham, al
Bikes: a masi speciale, and a kuota k-factor.
Posts: 2,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
guy riding by on top of a suv in the snow having a blast, ambulance in ditch
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-14, 04:27 AM   #3
digibud
Senior Member
 
digibud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Further North than U
Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
Posts: 1,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
A moose ran out into the road as I was approaching rapidly. He saw me and tried to stop and turn around but he slipped on the pavement and went down right in front of me. He had a hard time getting up but finally ran off. Another time, coming down a hill around 35mph a good sized grizzly came out of the bushes, loafing across the road. I had to hit the brakes and as I did he saw me and put it into high gear. We scared the crap out of each other. If I had not braked I would have either hit him or come close.
digibud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-14, 04:39 AM   #4
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid
 
Zinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane WA
Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
Posts: 2,516
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by digibud View Post
A moose ran out into the road as I was approaching rapidly. He saw me and tried to stop and turn around but he slipped on the pavement and went down right in front of me. He had a hard time getting up but finally ran off. Another time, coming down a hill around 35mph a good sized grizzly came out of the bushes, loafing across the road. I had to hit the brakes and as I did he saw me and put it into high gear. We scared the crap out of each other. If I had not braked I would have either hit him or come close.
Jeeeezus
Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-14, 07:17 AM   #5
digibud
Senior Member
 
digibud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Further North than U
Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
Posts: 1,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
admittedly those were not my last ride...
digibud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-14, 10:11 AM   #6
leob1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Middle of the road, NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 2,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by digibud View Post
A moose ran out into the road as I was approaching rapidly. He saw me and tried to stop and turn around but he slipped on the pavement and went down right in front of me. He had a hard time getting up but finally ran off. Another time, coming down a hill around 35mph a good sized grizzly came out of the bushes, loafing across the road. I had to hit the brakes and as I did he saw me and put it into high gear. We scared the crap out of each other. If I had not braked I would have either hit him or come close.
You need to move.
leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-14, 12:42 PM   #7
c0urt
moving target
 
c0urt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: birmingham, al
Bikes: a masi speciale, and a kuota k-factor.
Posts: 2,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
oh, i thought it said things that spooked me out, oxycotin will do that to you
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-14, 01:53 PM   #8
digibud
Senior Member
 
digibud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Further North than U
Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
Posts: 1,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
This fellow ran along side me for a bit in Denali Park

And this guy didn't run....but as I came around a corner there he was. Happily he was hungry for berries and not me. Magnificent toklat grizzly. Shot from about 30 feet away. Park Ranger not a happy camper . Again...not recent...so apologies on that...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1921.jpg (107.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg grizzly freeze frame.jpg (113.2 KB, 6 views)
digibud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-14, 10:15 PM   #9
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
Random thread for strange things you came across on your last ride.

Mine from the other night

Man spooked all kinds of critters tonight, way late ride, just got back. Let's see, 7 deer including a 2-point, had to chase them so they didn't get besides me and then get spooked and run into me, 1 brown fox, he ran like hell, 1 skunk, I skidded to a stop about 20 yards from him, he went tail up and froze, we squared off, each waiting to see what the other guy was gonna do, I just kept him in my lights until he decided to scamper off to the side, when I knew he was far enough away I gunned it and got past him, 1 possum, you'd be amazed how fast they can move when they're scared ****less, 1 teenager who surrendered, IDK, I came around a bend and he turned around and put his hands up, got a chuckle outta that, and finally 1 Walnut Creek cop, he (or she) was sitting in their unit, in a trailhead parking lot, facing out onto the main drag, well, the paved trail where I'm coming from is directly behind them and absolutely pitch black, that is until here I come down the trail, lights blazing at speed right up behind him. I say spooked because right as I got close the cop hits the gas, zips it across the road and wings it around to get a look at me. I just casually roll up to the stoplight and hit the button and wait for the signal.
You must have caught that cop in a good mood because for a minute there I thought he was going to tag you for high beams.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-14, 10:16 PM   #10
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0urt View Post
oh, i thought it said things that spooked me out, oxycotin will do that to you
Or Krokodil. LOL
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-14, 02:04 AM   #11
acdronin
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: East Bay California
Bikes:
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0urt View Post
guy riding by on top of a suv in the snow having a blast, ambulance in ditch
That reminds me of the dumb teenagers around here, kids do the darndest things, I think some of them are dumber than deer
acdronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-14, 02:11 AM   #12
acdronin
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: East Bay California
Bikes:
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by digibud View Post
A moose ran out into the road as I was approaching rapidly. He saw me and tried to stop and turn around but he slipped on the pavement and went down right in front of me. He had a hard time getting up but finally ran off. Another time, coming down a hill around 35mph a good sized grizzly came out of the bushes, loafing across the road. I had to hit the brakes and as I did he saw me and put it into high gear. We scared the crap out of each other. If I had not braked I would have either hit him or come close.
Good god, I thought getting mowed down by some whacked out 2 point would have ruined my night, dude, you take the cake. You carry when you ride up there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
You need to move.
Probably a nice place to live just as long as you don't mind not being at the top of the food chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0urt View Post
oh, i thought it said things that spooked me out, oxycotin will do that to you
Heck, they didn't have oxys back when i was getting high. If you say you remember the 80s then you weren't really there
QUOTE=digibud;16453970]This fellow ran along side me for a bit in Denali Park

And this guy didn't run....but as I came around a corner there he was. Happily he was hungry for berries and not me. Magnificent toklat grizzly. Shot from about 30 feet away. Park Ranger not a happy camper . Again...not recent...so apologies on that...
[/QUOTE]
wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
You must have caught that cop in a good mood because for a minute there I thought he was going to tag you for high beams.
Heck I didn't even have them on all the way, he spooked the crap outta me when he suddenly jumped on the gas.
acdronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:19 AM.