Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 76
  1. #1
    Senior Member JonnyHK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hong Kong
    My Bikes
    Baum Romano, Colossi xCr, Lynskey Crosstown
    Posts
    1,924
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Annoying traits in co-workers/subordinates

    Sorry folks, I'm having a grumble about something.

    It gives me the complete and utter ****s when people don't just do what I ask!


    Guy who works with/under me was annoying again today. I have to submit something based on information he has to provide. In his defence he's waiting on others to confirm stuff and they are not all getting things in on time, but I'm the last stop.

    There have been many emails about it with the list of stuff constantly changing, so I have just come back from a business trip and asked this guy to send me the most up to date list as it has all become a bit confusing and I want to submit the correct thing.

    Instead of sending me the updated list, he calls and tries to explain things..."it's all in X email last week, but with the two extra items in Y email from Monday"...and so on.

    No, no, no, no. Just send the list to me again, clean copy, with all the updates. If not, I'll get it wrong or have to go back to you again to confirm it anyway.

    He's a repeat offender. Multiple emails or long calls that try to avoid doing something or complicate things. It would be quicker if he just did as I asked in the first place!!!
    Last edited by CbadRider; 01-29-14 at 09:32 AM. Reason: undeafeted the censor so we don't get blacklisted at people's workplaces

  2. #2
    Cool Beans MangoPumpkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Cadent
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do I start?!

    Taking dumps on the bathroom floor would be a good one.
    I've got your restraining order right here. [grabs crotch] Restrain this!

  3. #3
    on by skijor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Vision R40, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MangoPumpkin View Post
    Where do I start?!

    Taking dumps on the bathroom floor would be a good one.
    That takes me back.
    We had a phantom ****ter many years ago. I'm glad I'm not the one who caught him. I mean...what would you say if you walked in on that act? "Holy *****?!"
    Last edited by CbadRider; 01-29-14 at 09:33 AM. Reason: undeafeted the censor so we don't get blacklisted at people's workplaces

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    263
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you told him? Next time he calls say you don't have time for it and to do his job, impose a consequence if he doesn't. Some people just don't learn any other way.

  5. #5
    Pentapointed Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,360
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I thought you quit?

    Why do you care?
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Middle of the road, NJ
    Posts
    2,122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I share an office with a guy, he's nice enough, but he barely speaks, getting two word out of him is a chore, work related or not.
    That's not so bad really. But what is, is that he cannot move his mouse without picking it up and putting in down. If he has to move the cursor across the screen he will pick it up and slam it down multiple times, bam bam bam bam. Instead of sliding it like it's designed to do. The constant bam bam bam bam can get quite annoying.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

  7. #7
    Senior Member GP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My secretary has a whiny voice and never shuts up. She's on the phone now babbling with one of her friends.

    She also enters my office through the side door instead of walking around to the front door.

  8. #8
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,743
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It is the failure of people to prostrate themselves that really gets to me...

  9. #9
    Administrator CbadRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the bridge with Picard
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MangoPumpkin View Post
    Where do I start?!

    Taking dumps on the bathroom floor would be a good one.
    That's worse than the non-flushers at my workplace. It got so bad that they installed auto-flush toilets, but sometimes they still don't get flushed. I have no idea how you could defeat the flushing sensor; they seem to have a hair trigger and go off whenever they sense movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

  10. #10
    Senior Member GP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    That's worse than the non-flushers at my workplace. It got so bad that they installed auto-flush toilets, but sometimes they still don't get flushed. I have no idea how you could defeat the flushing sensor; they seem to have a hair trigger and go off whenever they sense movement.
    In men's rooms if you leave the seat up it will block the sensor.

    We use auto flush valves too but it's to meet ADA requirements. People used to leave their trophy sized logs for everyone to see but now that everyone has a smartphone and Instagram, they flush.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    My Bikes
    1995 Specialized design Full Force
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work with a bunch of 18 year olds, and while some of them are great kids, most do just less than the bare miminimum. And oh my god the amount of times they call out is ridiculous. I'm 25, and with the exception of a telemarketing job, I have never had to call out of work, and I am eternally sick.

  12. #12
    Cool Beans MangoPumpkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Cadent
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    That's worse than the non-flushers at my workplace. It got so bad that they installed auto-flush toilets, but sometimes they still don't get flushed. I have no idea how you could defeat the flushing sensor; they seem to have a hair trigger and go off whenever they sense movement.
    Yes it is and we have those too. Along with the ones who think it's cool to leave their menstrual flow all over the place. Geebus Crimminey people, clean up after yourselves!!! It's not uncommon to find a biohazard sign on a bathroom stall door. Of course we only have 7 counting the unisex bathroom stalls for about 100+ women in the office.

    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    In men's rooms if you leave the seat up it will block the sensor.

    We use auto flush valves too but it's to meet ADA requirements. People used to leave their trophy sized logs for everyone to see but now that everyone has a smartphone and Instagram, they flush.
    Oh yes that's always pleasant.
    I've got your restraining order right here. [grabs crotch] Restrain this!

  13. #13
    Pentapointed Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,360
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh, the joy of working solo...

    And from my home.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

  14. #14
    Trek 500 Kid Zinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Spokane WA
    My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Posts
    2,163
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Guys who splatter on the toilet seats.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

  15. #15
    holyrollin' FlatTop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    L.B.N.J.U.S.A.
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Racer(hot rod 3 sp.), noname cantilever frame 1 sp., Peugeot U-O8, Kia 10 sp., soon-to-be-custom Sears Free Spirit 3sp.(project), department store mountain bike 21 sp.
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paper towels in toilets and urinals. WTF? You are male, cleaning up after urinating consists of no more than two shakes.

  16. #16
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,527
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyHK View Post
    Sorry folks, I'm having a grumble about something.

    It gives me the complete and utter ****s when people don't just do what I ask!


    Guy who works with/under me was annoying again today. I have to submit something based on information he has to provide. In his defence he's waiting on others to confirm stuff and they are not all getting things in on time, but I'm the last stop.

    There have been many emails about it with the list of stuff constantly changing, so I have just come back from a business trip and asked this guy to send me the most up to date list as it has all become a bit confusing and I want to submit the correct thing.

    Instead of sending me the updated list, he calls and tries to explain things..."it's all in X email last week, but with the two extra items in Y email from Monday"...and so on.

    No, no, no, no. Just send the list to me again, clean copy, with all the updates. If not, I'll get it wrong or have to go back to you again to confirm it anyway.

    He's a repeat offender. Multiple emails or long calls that try to avoid doing something or complicate things. It would be quicker if he just did as I asked in the first place!!!
    I hate it when co-workers insist on calling you to give some update... send a darn email... it is that simple.

    I have one manager that never responds to emails and either comes to your desk or calls for requests... but when you need a decision and email ping him... no response... it's as if he is trying to avoid a trail of responsibility. He also doesn't have regular milestone meetings... he just suddenly gives a deadline and viola I am supposed to jump.

  17. #17
    Senior Member JonnyHK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hong Kong
    My Bikes
    Baum Romano, Colossi xCr, Lynskey Crosstown
    Posts
    1,924
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    I thought you quit?
    I did, but I'm still there for a while longer.


    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Why do you care?
    It still has to be done right, even if I'm counting the 'sleeps' until pina-colada time.


    Quote Originally Posted by CharlyAlfaRomeo View Post
    Have you told him? Next time he calls say you don't have time for it and to do his job, impose a consequence if he doesn't. Some people just don't learn any other way.
    I told him last night when he called, that's why I was so annoyed. Earlier in the day I sent a reminder email saying I still needed him to give me an update before I could move. He called and started to explain how 'simple' it would be for me to faff about searching and I cut him off by asking him to just send it to me again. It ate at me for a while and I sent him an email expressing my annoyance that he couldn't just humour me and answer my simple requests. He has replied saying we need to chat about this situation - but not with the damn list I need.

  18. #18
    Pentapointed Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,360
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank You. Doing the right thing is a rare commodity.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Cache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Metro Exurb
    My Bikes
    1982 Torker BMX, 1990 Cannondale Black Lightning, 1996 Cannondale F400
    Posts
    454
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theft and general insurbordination. Lying to customers. Flipping trucks. Breaking equipment. Changing formulations. Destroying equipment. Not cleaning up or following procedures. No shows. Never returns. Long lunch. Late to work. Leaving early. Punching co workers time cards. Entitlement. Attitudes. Sloth. F-ing up your equipment. They didn't buy it, they don't care. Stealing tools. Band-aid duct tape fixes to critical equipment. Working with machines that are just slightly out of spec, and running them into the ground instead of doing a little ongoing preventative maintenance. Which leads to catastrophic failure during a holiday rush. Cheating machines (removing guards, using something heavy to hold one handle on a two handle machine). Gossip. Cell phones on production floor. Headphones. Sloppy dress. Not taking phone messages. Personal calls at work. Web surfing at work. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, or have a mental block on some real atrocious offenses. Like sex in the restroom.

  20. #20
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,191
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, the worst was a 19 year old guy. We shared a desk with glass walls all around. A single desk, not a cubicle, elbow to elbow. He was hyper expressive and when something happened with the program that he was writing, he would jump in his chair and exclaim "Oh my God!" We sat side by side and the glass bounced all the sound back so it was like someone randomly shouting in your ear. He was also a heavy coffee drinker. And the smell of coffee gives me instant splitting headaches. So sitting that close together was a world of pain.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 01-29-14 at 06:53 PM.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  21. #21
    Pentapointed Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,360
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    Theft and general insurbordination. Lying to customers. Flipping trucks. Breaking equipment. Changing formulations. Destroying equipment. Not cleaning up or following procedures. No shows. Never returns. Long lunch. Late to work. Leaving early. Punching co workers time cards. Entitlement. Attitudes. Sloth. F-ing up your equipment. They didn't buy it, they don't care. Stealing tools. Band-aid duct tape fixes to critical equipment. Working with machines that are just slightly out of spec, and running them into the ground instead of doing a little ongoing preventative maintenance. Which leads to catastrophic failure during a holiday rush. Cheating machines (removing guards, using something heavy to hold one handle on a two handle machine). Gossip. Cell phones on production floor. Headphones. Sloppy dress. Not taking phone messages. Personal calls at work. Web surfing at work. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, or have a mental block on some real atrocious offenses. Like sex in the restroom.
    Do you have any job openings?

    How much does it pay?
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

  22. #22
    RacingBear UmneyDurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    7,995
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    I hate it when co-workers insist on calling you to give some update... send a darn email... it is that simple.

    I have one manager that never responds to emails and either comes to your desk or calls for requests... but when you need a decision and email ping him... no response... it's as if he is trying to avoid a trail of responsibility. He also doesn't have regular milestone meetings... he just suddenly gives a deadline and viola I am supposed to jump.
    He is not trying, he is actively doing it. Start documenting and archiving everything. If you are not already doing it. Even if he doesn't respond send email and cc yourself with a summary of every meeting and request.
    I see hills.... Bring them on!!!
    Stay calm and bring a towel.

  23. #23
    RacingBear UmneyDurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    7,995
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyHK View Post
    I told him last night when he called, that's why I was so annoyed. Earlier in the day I sent a reminder email saying I still needed him to give me an update before I could move. He called and started to explain how 'simple' it would be for me to faff about searching and I cut him off by asking him to just send it to me again. It ate at me for a while and I sent him an email expressing my annoyance that he couldn't just humour me and answer my simple requests. He has replied saying we need to chat about this situation - but not with the damn list I need.
    Reply again, restate that you have asked this request again and cc someone higher up? Who can fire him if needed.
    I see hills.... Bring them on!!!
    Stay calm and bring a towel.

  24. #24
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,527
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UmneyDurak View Post
    He is not trying, he is actively doing it. Start documenting and archiving everything. If you are not already doing it. Even if he doesn't respond send email and cc yourself with a summary of every meeting and request.
    I do do this and keep project files on all the projects. This manager stands out as always doing things his way. (I have no problems with other managers) Lately I have started cc his supervisor when I have requests. The manager then called me into his office and wanted to know why, and suggested that perhaps I should tone it down. I told him he is not using good engineering practices and that I stand by my statements.

    There was a meeting about a month after that, it was pointed out that someone had made "hasty decisions." This guy seems "bulletproof" though... so I doubt anything will come of it. Time will tell.

  25. #25
    RacingBear UmneyDurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    7,995
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    I do do this and keep project files on all the projects. This manager stands out as always doing things his way. (I have no problems with other managers) Lately I have started cc his supervisor when I have requests. The manager then called me into his office and wanted to know why, and suggested that perhaps I should tone it down. I told him he is not using good engineering practices and that I stand by my statements.

    There was a meeting about a month after that, it was pointed out that someone had made "hasty decisions." This guy seems "bulletproof" though... so I doubt anything will come of it. Time will tell.
    Time to start looking for a new job. If there is major ****up he will throw you under the bus, and since it looks like management has his back you will be the escape goat.
    I see hills.... Bring them on!!!
    Stay calm and bring a towel.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •