Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   Pinned Down and Taking Fire: The 40+ Old Timer's Thread (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/932633-pinned-down-taking-fire-40-old-timers-thread.html)

acdronin 02-03-14 10:18 AM

Pinned Down and Taking Fire: The 40+ Old Timer's Thread
 
Back on another forum I belonged to my favorite thread became the 40+ thread. Children of the 80's, Reagan, sex kills, 80's music, good times for sure. Open discussion about all things we deal with, spouses, kids (or our adult kids as it may be), jobs, griping about stuff and helping each other out. Generally open minded we became a pretty cool group of regulars who knew exactly what each other were going through in life. And to all the youngsters out there, meaning everyone under 40? GET OFF MY LAWN!!!! GO AWAY!!!

Three Questions:

1. Favorite hazy memories of the 80's

2. Roth or Hagar in VH.

3. What are your thoughts on hummingbirds?

ModoVincere 02-03-14 10:21 AM

1) Fast Times at Ridgemont high ---or the parties after that movie came out. :)
2) Roth
3) none

ilikebikes 02-03-14 10:33 AM

1) Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure.

2) Neither.

3) Six of them seasoned to perfection on a skewer with a touch of BBQ sauce and a slice of Italian bread taste...Excellent!

acdronin 02-03-14 10:33 AM

I'll go first, I'm 43, living in N Cali in the Bay Area, I have a kid who's 21 in college, chem major, i've been single for awhile, I'm a water conservationist/irrigation pro so all of the Cali drought folks get yer water efficiency questions answered here. I'm a Clyde who has lost almost 50lbs in the last several months and is almost not a Clyde anymore. I'm on a MTB but hope to upgrade to a good road machine soon. I ride around 200 miles a week and I have the benefit of having Mt Diablo in my backyard which I am just now starting regular climbs on. My views are generally liberal but with a dose of middle-aged pissed off, you will find I am a nut and have an extremely dry and warped sense of humor.

That being said, let the games begin!

acdronin 02-03-14 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModoVincere (Post 16463873)
1) Fast Times at Ridgemont high ---or the parties after that movie came out. :)
2) Roth
3) none

1 and 2, that's what I'm talkin about dude!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikebikes (Post 16463910)
1) Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure.

2) Neither.

3) Six of them seasoned to perfection on a skewer with a touch of BBQ sauce and a slice of Italian bread taste...Excellent!

lol, ain't much meat on a hummingbird dude but ok, i'll take yer word for it.

ilikebikes 02-03-14 10:59 AM

You cook them on low heat (doesn't take long) so that the outside is brown and crunchy and the center is cooked perfectly, just like any other bird, but you eat the bird whole! Takes more than a few Humming Bird Kabobs to get full but its really all about the flavor! ;)

jdon 02-03-14 11:00 AM

50 is the youth of old age. 40's is still a kid. "Get off my lawn".

ilikebikes 02-03-14 11:01 AM

Shut up ya old geezer! ;)

Artkansas 02-03-14 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdronin (Post 16463855)
Back on another forum I belonged to my favorite thread became the 40+ thread. Children of the 80's, Reagan, sex kills, 80's music, good times for sure. Open discussion about all things we deal with, spouses, kids (or our adult kids as it may be), jobs, griping about stuff and helping each other out. Generally open minded we became a pretty cool group of regulars who knew exactly what each other were going through in life. And to all the youngsters out there, meaning everyone under 40? GET OFF MY LAWN!!!! GO AWAY!!!

Three Questions:

1. Favorite hazy memories of the 80's

2. Roth or Hagar in VH.

3. What are your thoughts on hummingbirds?

1. Going back to school at UCSB in my late 20s. The ocean was just a walk down a dirt path away from my apartment. I was educated enough to realize that I would pick courses that would enable me to study what I wanted to, rather than seeing them as things that must be done. I talked the new Microcomputer Center into giving me free access because I had the Art department behind me, and then went to the Art department to get permission. UCSB was an ocean of bikes. Just before graduation, I was out of funds and all my bikes needed repair. My brother had left an old Montgomery Ward 10 speed on the porch. I inflated the tires and hit the gears with WD-40. It worked for 2 weeks until the frame came apart at the downtube/bottom bracket intersection. I held the frame together with turnbuckles and baling wire. The bike finally died 3 days after graduation.

2. Roth

3. I used to rehab hummingbirds. So there are hummies flying around in the desert that owe their lives to me. Hummies may be stupid, but they are all consciousness and they are aware of everything. They are all gurus. Their brains are too small to have a place for fear. When cornered, a hummie will go to ground and spread its wings out like it is dead and drop it's heartrate, feigning death. Hummies are the best birds in the universe.

jsharr 02-03-14 11:16 AM

I can only post in here until Dec 13th.

I recall being nicknamed The Sink in college. That was right before I got booted for bad grades.

Roth

Cool little critters

acdronin 02-03-14 11:17 AM

Last night's ride was the most fun I've had on two wheels in a long time. I typically ride late afternoons in the night with the MS lights. So I get onto the mountain about an hour before they close, pound the Beast up the climb to the Junction Station which is 2K up, thinking the whole time that i'm too late and the ranger is gonna come down and tell me to turn around. I'm practically delirious and seeing things on the way up, it's getting colder as a climb and a light rain starts up, rain felt great and I was warm right up until the moment I stopped the bike. I'm drenched in sweat and rain, thinkin maybe a wetsuit might not be a bad idea next time. I'm pretty sure I could wring out the UA gear. After jawing with the ranger who's laughing at my nuttines for even being there, the plan was to put on some warmer, drier gear and gloves and head down the south side. The park is closed now and what daylight is left is going fast, so I figured screw it and just head down. Oh my GOD IS WAS COLD! about a mile in, I can't feel my hands or my face, it's dark, sprinkling, the road is slick and I'm tear-assing down it at 35MPH, the road was empty so I had it to myself. The Beast is a PITA to pedal uphill but seriously fast going downhill. I noticed that if I stuck my face behind the LEDs mounted on the aerobars, they actually gave off enough heat to warm my face. The one vehicle I did see I passed like a bat out of hell, flashed a chit-eatin grin and gave 'em the Hang-Ten as I flew by. Absolutely exhilarating, scared and giggling like some demented Linda Blair/Exorcist schoolgirl without the pea-soup all the way down.
I want to get to know the Rangers up there so they don't trip when I want to be the last guy on the road coming down after they officially close. I really want to do that again minus the 25 degree windchill and the wet roads.

Artkansas 02-03-14 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikebikes (Post 16463910)
3) Six of them seasoned to perfection on a skewer with a touch of BBQ sauce and a slice of Italian bread taste...Excellent!

Maybe you would enjoy them better with Chianti and Fava Beans.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multim..._a_434295c.jpg

acdronin 02-03-14 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikebikes (Post 16464001)
You cook them on low heat (doesn't take long) so that the outside is brown and crunchy and the center is cooked perfectly, just like any other bird, but you eat the bird whole! Takes more than a few Humming Bird Kabobs to get full but its really all about the flavor! ;)

LOL! Man, it's like kids to me, I love kids....properly cooked!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdon (Post 16464003)
50 is the youth of old age. 40's is still a kid. "Get off my lawn".

Yeah but it's my lawn dude

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 16464061)
1. Going back to school at UCSB in my late 20s. The ocean was just a walk down a dirt path away from my apartment. I was educated enough to realize that I would pick courses that would enable me to study what I wanted to, rather than seeing them as things that must be done. I talked the new Microcomputer Center into giving me free access because I had the Art department behind me, and then went to the Art department to get permission. UCSB was an ocean of bikes. Just before graduation, I was out of funds and all my bikes needed repair. My brother had left an old Montgomery Ward 10 speed on the porch. I inflated the tires and hit the gears with WD-40. It worked for 2 weeks until the frame came apart at the downtube/bottom bracket intersection. I held the frame together with turnbuckles and baling wire. The bike finally died 3 days after graduation.

2. Roth

3. I used to rehab hummingbirds. So there are hummies flying around in the desert that owe their lives to me. Hummies may be stupid, but they are all consciousness and they are aware of everything. They are all gurus. Their brains are too small to have a place for fear. When cornered, a hummie will go to ground and spread its wings out like it is dead and drop it's heartrate, feigning death. Hummies are the best birds in the universe.

A Gaucho! I had a GF whose daughters went there, what was the name of that town Isle Vista? God what a party town that place is. $1000 a month for a HALF a bedroom! I don't think I saw anyone over the age of 25 for hours hanging out there, it's hormones run amok.

That's cool you worked with hummingbirds, I do landscaping and I like vector-friendly plants, build it and they will come. Hummingbirds are like the top fuel dragsters of the bird world. I'll be in a yard and dig it when they will come right up to me like two-three feet away and just hover checking me out. Plant for the hummingbirds, bees and butterflies!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsharr (Post 16464064)
I can only post in here until Dec 13th.

I recall being nicknamed The Sink in college. That was right before I got booted for bad grades.

Roth

Cool little critters

Well it's the 40+ so it's open ended :)

So what do you owe the nickname to or do I really want to know?:rolleyes:

acdronin 02-03-14 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 16464091)
Maybe you would enjoy them better with Chianti and Fava Beans.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multim..._a_434295c.jpg

You're gonna fit right in here :)

trsidn 02-03-14 11:34 AM

1. Every Weird Al response to a Michael Jackson video.
2. Roth
3. they fight a lot

Artkansas 02-03-14 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdronin (Post 16464115)
A Gaucho! I had a GF whose daughters went there, what was the name of that town Isle Vista? God what a party town that place is. $1000 a month for a HALF a bedroom! I don't think I saw anyone over the age of 25 for hours hanging out there, it's hormones run amok.

Isla Vista. When I went back to school, I took a bedroom in an apartment for $300 out in Ellwood. Much quieter. Spent my Saturday nights in the library, the only other people there were asian study groups. One time I did venture out onto Del Playa on a Saturday night on my way home. So many drunk bicyclists. But you gotta love a campus that has it's own surfing range.

http://www.audit.ucsb.edu/sites/www....ew_mastres.jpg

toytech 02-03-14 12:01 PM

1. Punk shows at the Mabuhay
2. The correct answer is Bad Brains, as always
3. They were funny when tripping...

acdronin 02-03-14 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 16464138)
Isla Vista. When I went back to school, I took a bedroom in an apartment for $300 out in Ellwood. Much quieter. Spent my Saturday nights in the library, the only other people there were asian study groups. One time I did venture out onto Del Playa on a Saturday night on my way home. So many drunk bicyclists. But you gotta love a campus that has it's own surfing range.

http://www.audit.ucsb.edu/sites/www....ew_mastres.jpg

Totally! My kid goes to U of Idaho in Moscow ID, way different town, Moscow is actually a really old farming town loaded with 16,000 partying kids, kind of a weird political mix with this Bible-belt community but walking down the street in downtown one feels like one could be in Berkeley.

acdronin 02-03-14 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trsidn (Post 16464134)
1. Every Weird Al response to a Michael Jackson video.
2. Roth
3. they fight a lot

1, definitely! I was telling some kids last night about Dr Demento, they had no idea who he is!
2. Correct
3. they do?

Quote:

Originally Posted by toytech (Post 16464218)
1. Punk shows at the Mabuhay
2. The correct answer is Bad Brains, as always
3. They were funny when tripping...

Metal shows at the Kabuki and the Stone, saw a few punk shows at Gilman st. Never really got into BB, liked DK, Bad Religion, SNFU was good band. Still into thrash and ST, stuff I'm still gonna crank until the day i die.

trsidn 02-03-14 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdronin (Post 16464253)
1, definitely! I was telling some kids last night about Dr Demento, they had no idea who he is!
2. Correct
3. they do?

1. Yeah, it's sad.
2. I will admit, however, that after he joined VH, I upped my opinion of Hagar to 'mitigated' a**hole.
3. Yup, hang a feeder, and watch the games...

skijor 02-03-14 12:24 PM

1)AD&D...get your nerd on
2)Roth
3)Better to burn out than to fade away

vandutch 02-03-14 12:45 PM

1. Headbangers Ball on MTV
2. Roth
3. Oh?

monogodo 02-03-14 02:05 PM

1. Riding in the back seat of a teammate's Datsun 200SX from Wisconsin Dells to Portage to watch Purple Rain in the theater when I was 16. Riding in the back of a pickup truck after the end of season Cross Country team party, freezing my balls off while a Freshman teammate stood up without a shirt on and screamed, "I'm a Viking!" I did a lot of riding in the back of vehicles in HS in the 80s.

2. Roth.

3. No thoughts on hummingbirds.

Keith99 02-03-14 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 16464138)
Isla Vista. When I went back to school, I took a bedroom in an apartment for $300 out in Ellwood. Much quieter. Spent my Saturday nights in the library, the only other people there were asian study groups. One time I did venture out onto Del Playa on a Saturday night on my way home. So many drunk bicyclists. But you gotta love a campus that has it's own surfing range.

http://www.audit.ucsb.edu/sites/www....ew_mastres.jpg

Ah,

I remember when UCSB hosted one of if not the largest Rugby tournament in the World.

I especially remember fondly the year the tournament was in the middle of a police strike. Still no trouble as long as you don't consider skinny dipping at the hotel pool trouble.

Oh and the poor guy who streaked the hotel, boy was he deflated when he ran past the pool and everyone stood up.

no motor? 02-03-14 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdon (Post 16464003)
50 is the youth of old age. 40's is still a kid. "Get off my lawn".

I was thinking the same thing. Darn punk kids these days.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:55 PM.