Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-14, 12:25 PM   #101
buffalowings
Senior Member
 
buffalowings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdam View Post
Which is one substantial step above people who get all 'judgey' about what others do with their lives.
Naskart is a sport. Really works out the left hand which is often unused by 90% of the population.
buffalowings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 12:33 PM   #102
Mister Fernand
Member
 
Mister Fernand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: La Rochelle (France)
Bikes: Mr: Alan competizione 1973/ Peugeot PY10 1978/ Motobecane Equipe Pro 1982/ Pinarello 198?/ Paris-Tours 1985/Paris-Tours 1994 Mrs: Peugeot PK65 1979
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sailing
Skiing
Snorkeling
Photography
Travelling
Drinking anisette (i'm french)
Mister Fernand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 12:41 PM   #103
RocThrower
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
You sure you're not a mountain biker and not a road cyclist?
Ha ha, I could see how one could think that. Living in flat old Iowa certainly helped shaped my cycling preference...
RocThrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 12:51 PM   #104
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike
 
Heathpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 2016 Liv Lust, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone
Posts: 8,107
Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdam View Post
Which is one substantial step above people who get all 'judgey' about what others do with their lives.
Did I miss something? Who got judgey?

H
Heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 01:02 PM   #105
dmcdam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Opus Vivace F1
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
See post #95
dmcdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 01:09 PM   #106
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Do you have to be any good at it in order to be a hobby? If not then I can name a few.

Other than cycling I like to:

* Ride motorcycles
* Draw / paint
* Play the banjo / Guitar (poorly)
* Diet vigorously whenever I feel like losing weight... not sure if a hobby but it's brutal.
* Competitive sleeping, assuring quality and quantity of sleep are optimal for my daily energy expenditures!
* Have a few LPs laying around
* Starting to run
* Collect beatles memorabilia (cheap ones)
* Collect James bond movies & watch them
* Watch World War 2 documentaries
* Play Call of Duty and Forza Motorsports
* In the beginning stages of becoming a cigar aficionado

I think that covers about it... Only ones I can consider myself decent at are motorbikes, drawing and Videogames. Other than that the others are minor.

Not too much of an interesting guy I guess.
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....

Last edited by lsberrios1; 03-03-14 at 01:17 PM.
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 01:12 PM   #107
dmcdam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Opus Vivace F1
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post

Not too much of an interesting guy I guess.
What someone does, isn't what makes them interesting. Who they are, does.
dmcdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 01:15 PM   #108
NRZ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CT
Bikes:
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in to photography, rock climbing (indoor at the moment), basketball (winter sport only), softball, clay target shooting and handguns, golf, automotive detailing and as of recently, running. I like to stay busy and with this list, it's not hard to do...
NRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 01:16 PM   #109
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdam View Post
What someone does, isn't what makes them interesting. Who they are, does.
Quite an interesting argument from your part huh. Well maybe a list of the things I do won't do the trick but how about a photo.. Can you tell me if I seem like an interesting man?

__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 01:26 PM   #110
dmcdam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Opus Vivace F1
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
Quite an interesting argument from your part huh. Well maybe a list of the things I do won't do the trick but how about a photo.. Can you tell me if I seem like an interesting man?

Fascinating
dmcdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 01:29 PM   #111
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike
 
Heathpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 2016 Liv Lust, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone
Posts: 8,107
Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdam View Post
See post #95
Oh that? Well the guy is himself a motorcyclist, I guess because of that I would let that comment go, not think twice about it, I thought it was somewhat self-deprecating. Just noodling around on your motorcycle is maybe not a sport but racing is certainly physical enough to be a sport. Indeed it is in the category of motorsports, is it not? Fishing & cigars, they are maybe more hobbies but this thread is about sports/hobbies, after all. Who cares about one possibly snarky comment?

H
Heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 01:34 PM   #112
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike
 
Heathpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 2016 Liv Lust, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone
Posts: 8,107
Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
Do you have to be any good at it in order to be a hobby? If not then I can name a few.

Other than cycling I like to:

* Ride motorcycles
* Draw / paint
* Play the banjo / Guitar (poorly)
* Diet vigorously whenever I feel like losing weight... not sure if a hobby but it's brutal.
* Competitive sleeping, assuring quality and quantity of sleep are optimal for my daily energy expenditures!
* Have a few LPs laying around
* Starting to run
* Collect beatles memorabilia (cheap ones)
* Collect James bond movies & watch them
* Watch World War 2 documentaries
* Play Call of Duty and Forza Motorsports
* In the beginning stages of becoming a cigar aficionado

I think that covers about it... Only ones I can consider myself decent at are motorbikes, drawing and Videogames. Other than that the others are minor.

Not too much of an interesting guy I guess.
Lol on dieting as a hobby. When I saw you post to this thread, I wondered if you were going to say "dieting".

I'd say drop the cigar aspirations, though. Not good for your cycling. Why work so hard everywhere else and then take up cigar smoking?

H
Heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 02:26 PM   #113
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdam View Post
Fascinating


Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Lol on dieting as a hobby. When I saw you post to this thread, I wondered if you were going to say "dieting".

I'd say drop the cigar aspirations, though. Not good for your cycling. Why work so hard everywhere else and then take up cigar smoking?

H
It's easy to get obsessed about the diet thing! It becomes a complete lifestyle rather than a hobby. ... if anything now I am chubbying it up!

On the cigar. All extremes are bad, and being TOO healthy is one of them . I think I am allowed one sin every now and then. If anything, I can't probably afford a cigar every day so maybe once a week won't kill me. I do agree they are kinda contradictory, lets just say they cancel each other.
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 02:39 PM   #114
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike
 
Heathpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 2016 Liv Lust, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone
Posts: 8,107
Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post




It's easy to get obsessed about the diet thing! It becomes a complete lifestyle rather than a hobby. ... if anything now I am chubbying it up!

On the cigar. All extremes are bad, and being TOO healthy is one of them . I think I am allowed one sin every now and then. If anything, I can't probably afford a cigar every day so maybe once a week won't kill me. I do agree they are kinda contradictory, lets just say they cancel each other.
Just don't sin with cigars, bad for your lung capacity. Sin with good wine or too much alone time with your fiancee- both of which can actually be construed as good for your heart. But cigars? That just seem counterproductive to me. But really none of my business.

H
Heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 02:45 PM   #115
RPK79
Senior Member
 
RPK79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE MN
Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Fuji Track Classic
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
I thought you weren't supposed to inhale cigars so if you were smoking them occasionally outside I can't see how it would really affect your lungs any... I wouldn't smoke them anyway though.
RPK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 02:56 PM   #116
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike
 
Heathpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 2016 Liv Lust, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone
Posts: 8,107
Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
I thought you weren't supposed to inhale cigars so if you were smoking them occasionally outside I can't see how it would really affect your lungs any... I wouldn't smoke them anyway though.
Well that shows what I know. Just seems like a nasty, unattractive habit to me. I could understand if one were hooked already, but to take it up intentionally is beyond me, especially when there are so much better sins to be had out there. And especially for a guy like Luis who seems intent on doing everything else right.

The cigars are a head-scratcher to me in this case, I will admit.

H
Heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 02:58 PM   #117
RPK79
Senior Member
 
RPK79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE MN
Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Fuji Track Classic
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Well that shows what I know. Just seems like a nasty, unattractive habit to me. I could understand if one were hooked already, but to take it up intentionally is beyond me, especially when there are so much better sins to be had out there. And especially for a guy like Luis who seems intent on doing everything else right.

The cigars are a head-scratcher to me in this case, I will admit.

H
Oh, I agree it seems out of place. I was at the LBS last week and as I was talking to the sales guy I noticed the other sales guy (and ride leader) coming in and finishing up a cigarette. Blew my mind that a guy who competes in triathlons (I know tri-guy ) would smoke.
RPK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 03:06 PM   #118
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike
 
Heathpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: 2016 Liv Lust, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone
Posts: 8,107
Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
Oh, I agree it seems out of place. I was at the LBS last week and as I was talking to the sales guy I noticed the other sales guy (and ride leader) coming in and finishing up a cigarette. Blew my mind that a guy who competes in triathlons (I know tri-guy ) would smoke.

Wait, was I just judgey? Sorry Luis, my bad. Enjoy your cigar if no other sins appeal more. Just do me a favor & dont start chewing tobacco.



H
Heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 03:16 PM   #119
mort1369
Senior Member
 
mort1369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bullhead City, AZ
Bikes: Raleigh USA Technium Olympian, Kona Hahanna single-speed, Trek 420 Three Speed Fixie, Gary Fisher Mullet, Trek 720 hybrid/cyclocross wannabe.
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Weightlifting
Photography (mostly film)
R/C Aircraft
Screwing together basses/guitars
Entering this little guy in car shows. . . . .



mort1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 04:24 PM   #120
Johnny Rad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Zion
Bikes:
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
@mort1369: Do share the nitty, gritty details on your Mustang... what makes it awesome? Thx
__________________
5.7kg / 12.67lbs '09 Addict R1

Johnny Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 04:28 PM   #121
RPK79
Senior Member
 
RPK79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE MN
Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Fuji Track Classic
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rad View Post
@mort1369: Do share the nitty, gritty details on your Mustang... what makes it awesome? Thx
Yeah, looks pretty stock to my untrained eyes.
RPK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 06:13 PM   #122
mort1369
Senior Member
 
mort1369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bullhead City, AZ
Bikes: Raleigh USA Technium Olympian, Kona Hahanna single-speed, Trek 420 Three Speed Fixie, Gary Fisher Mullet, Trek 720 hybrid/cyclocross wannabe.
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Internally it's still stock (I have a cold air intake, tune and catbacks that eventually will go on), externally it's about as far as I want to take it, save for the American Muscle 2010 GT500 replica rims (18X9 front, 18X10 rear).

The "mods" are:
Classic Design Concepts Classic chin spoiler
Saleen/Parnelli Jones Heritage rear wing
Tinted fog and taillights
Nitto NT-555r tires (255 50R17 rear, 235 45R 17 front)

This car does qualify for the local shows as it is a muscle car (it is a GT)

I probably would not have entered shows had it not been for this piece they allowed a couple of years ago:

http://youtu.be/4hxk-XlxPus

Last edited by mort1369; 06-19-15 at 03:54 PM.
mort1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 06:33 PM   #123
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 14,103
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
I thought you weren't supposed to inhale cigars so ...
How did this become a thread about Bill Clinton?
Seattle Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 07:21 PM   #124
KenshiBiker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
As far as cigars go, whatever floats your boat; however, don't kid yourself. There are still more risks from smoking 'em than not smoking 'em. Things like tongue and mouth cancer, and perhaps you've heard about second-hand smoke - which also applies to cigars and pipes. Will one cigar per week cause any serious problems? I don't know. Will not smoking one cigar a week prevent serious problems? Again, I don't know. I can say you increase your cancer risk with every cigar (or cigarette or pipe) you smoke. Of course, just by being born you already upped your odds of dying by 100%. Riding a bike in the sun? There's a big increase in cancer risk. Living in a big city, or at altitude, or . . . Well, you get the picture. Nothing we do is entirely without risk, and you got to have fun.

Sorry, if this came off as preachy - it wasn't meant to be.
KenshiBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 07:57 PM   #125
Kamau
Senior Member
 
Kamau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: KS
Bikes: Specialized Allez
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Autocross


Tennis
Kamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:33 PM.