Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-14, 09:11 AM   #26
Astrozombie
Senior Member
 
Astrozombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: East L.A.
Bikes: Windsor Dover, Motobecane Mirage, Diamondback Insight
Posts: 860
BS I'm with him, what's the point of a speed limit? What next "She should be doing 5mph OVER the speed limit in order to be in the left lane" NTM her turn was coming up. SPEED LIMIT, doesn't mean you have to be right on it at all times.
We don't see any other traffic so who says traffic was going faster than her? Less than normal would be one of us on a bike at 20MPH with 10 cars doing 40MPH, not just two people on the entire highway. She was doing no wrong, this aint the Autobahn!

+1 my uncle drives a giant Tundra and he's also a road raging guy just like this who does "break checks" and flips people off.

Now if it's late at night an entire Freeway is doing 70 and this lady was doing 55 then i might say she should be moving over to the right.

And i didn't notice anything passive aggressive about that guys post either......
Astrozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-14, 09:11 AM   #27
e0richt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hammonton, NJ
Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100
Posts: 982
[QUOTE=achoo;16625165]1) The driver of a vehicle must confine the course of the vehicle to the right hand half of the roadway if the roadway ...

(2) The driver of a vehicle proceeding at less than normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing must drive the vehicle in the right hand lane then available for traffic, or as closely as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing a vehicle proceeding in the same direction, or when preparing for a left hand turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.[/QUOTE]

you should have no problems with someone running you off the road so good for you...
e0richt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-14, 09:49 AM   #28
e0richt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hammonton, NJ
Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaninar View Post
This was some 40 seconds earlier (at least, didn't see he turn the whole video, until she stopped). That is a bit too early. Almost one kilometer.
so let me get this clear... she was in the wrong for getting in the left lane 40 seconds before her left turn, and a kilometer before a left turn is too early (Im American we use miles so I checked how long a kilometer is: which is ~6/10 of a mile).

well, I think the stats speak for themselves: she's rude to make a left turn because it caused some JA in a pickup lose 40 seconds of time...

now the roads that I travel on: speed limit 55, speeds driven over 65 mph, one kilometer is a little over half a mile which would cause someone impatience for 30-40 seconds... oh my god, I can't even believe someone thinks that is a problem...

yeah, and I have been harassed by the truck drivers, while riding my bike (not because I was "in the lane") but just because I was there. It is interesting how they have large tires (causes more slap on the pavement), modified mufflers (to make sound similar to a motorcycle) and also feel the need to speed up (without moving over, I believe its to show their "dominance", but I can't say for sure), and they tend to be younger male drivers.

take that for what you will...
e0richt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-14, 12:13 PM   #29
Slaninar
Bike Gremlin
 
Slaninar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Novi Sad
Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).
Posts: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
I think you lost all credibility with this statement. Please edit your post to remove this sexist statement; the implicit assumption that women would categorically be worse drivers is not appropriate, nor founded to my knowledge.
That has been my experience. Women are worse at driving and playing football. Most of the women I've met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e0richt View Post
so let me get this clear... she was in the wrong for getting in the left lane 40 seconds before her left turn, and a kilometer before a left turn is too early (Im American we use miles so I checked how long a kilometer is: which is ~6/10 of a mile).

well, I think the stats speak for themselves: she's rude to make a left turn because it caused some JA in a pickup lose 40 seconds of time...
She was rude for hugging the left lane when others were trying to pass. If it were close to the left turn, that's normal, OK, but if it's one kilometer down the road, other drivers don't know (can't read her mind) that she's going to turn left. It is too far ahead. To them she appears to be just a slow moving vehicle staying in the left lane - which is not nice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by e0richt View Post
now the roads that I travel on: speed limit 55, speeds driven over 65 mph, one kilometer is a little over half a mile which would cause someone impatience for 30-40 seconds... oh my god, I can't even believe someone thinks that is a problem...

yeah, and I have been harassed by the truck drivers, while riding my bike (not because I was "in the lane") but just because I was there. It is interesting how they have large tires (causes more slap on the pavement), modified mufflers (to make sound similar to a motorcycle) and also feel the need to speed up (without moving over, I believe its to show their "dominance", but I can't say for sure), and they tend to be younger male drivers.

take that for what you will...
This is your problem.

I'm sure there are a lot of jerks on the road. The guy from that video is one, IMO. But woman is also. She's either rude, or insecure about changing lanes, or a clueless driver not aware of what she's doing. The way she laughed at that guy mocking him was child like - in spite of him being a jerk.
Slaninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-14, 01:29 PM   #30
e0richt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hammonton, NJ
Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaninar View Post
She was rude for hugging the left lane when others were trying to pass. If it were close to the left turn, that's normal, OK, but if it's one kilometer down the road, other drivers don't know (can't read her mind) that she's going to turn left. It is too far ahead. To them she appears to be just a slow moving vehicle staying in the left lane - which is not nice.
actually, I think you have lost all credibility with this statement. you are warped.
e0richt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-14, 01:33 PM   #31
polishmadman
I don't get out enough
 
polishmadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: las vegas
Bikes: Gary Fisher Marlin, Bike E rx, Diamondback Centurion Expert TG, early 80's steel bike
Posts: 267
Here in Las Vegas, if you wait to be a half mile from your turn. You're cutting someone off and possibly missing your turn. I will be in the left lane a mile or sometimes more before my turn.
polishmadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-14, 03:37 PM   #32
CrankyOne
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CrankyOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by polishmadman View Post
Here in Las Vegas, if you wait to be a half mile from your turn. You're cutting someone off and possibly missing your turn. I will be in the left lane a mile or sometimes more before my turn.
On a road like this with that amount of traffic, she would have been fine waiting until a quarter mile or so to move over.

She probably could have moved over and maybe should have. HOWEVER, it appears that she was passing traffic on her right—the trucka** had to wait a bit to get enough space between her and the pickup truck on his right. SO, considering wet and slippery roads, her apparently traveling faster than at least some of the other traffic, her already being in the left lane from having just passed some traffic, and with a left turn coming up, I don't blame her for staying in the left lane. And I abhor people who block the left lane. But this looks, even to me, like she might have been reasonably there.
CrankyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-14, 11:52 PM   #33
Slaninar
Bike Gremlin
 
Slaninar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Novi Sad
Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).
Posts: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by polishmadman View Post
Here in Las Vegas, if you wait to be a half mile from your turn. You're cutting someone off and possibly missing your turn. I will be in the left lane a mile or sometimes more before my turn.
Where I've been driving - flashing turning signal before a junction was usually enough for someone to let you switch lanes and not miss your turn.
Slaninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 07:09 AM   #34
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Bikes:
Posts: 1,968
folks, let's not nit-pick.
The lady could well have been in the right lane, but the real issue is the guy in the pickup acting like the typical big ****** in a pickup. He got what he deserved.

The end.
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 07:14 AM   #35
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
folks, let's not nit-pick.
The lady could well have been in the right lane, but the real issue is the guy in the pickup acting like the typical big ****** in a pickup. He got what he deserved.

The end.
^^^This^^^
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 07:52 AM   #36
locolobo13 
Senior Member
 
locolobo13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phx, AZ
Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike
Posts: 1,065
In Phoenix you have to plan your moves ahead. Signaling just before you need to move over and some people will make sure you can't get in. Just the way it is.

Perhaps off topic but I don't like to cut someone's nose off when moving back to the right. It looks like this guy did just that in the video. There was more traffic behind her. As soon as he had room to squeeze in he did. I don't feel safe cutting in front of someone with less than 2 car lengths between us. Hate it when people do it to me as well. Sometimes I am planning on going back to the right lane after passing someone, but impatient traffic behind me makes it impossible because they pass on my right before I can safely move over.
locolobo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 10:02 AM   #37
AlTheKiller
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Napa, California
Bikes:
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
In Phoenix you have to plan your moves ahead. Signaling just before you need to move over and some people will make sure you can't get in. Just the way it is.

Perhaps off topic but I don't like to cut someone's nose off when moving back to the right. It looks like this guy did just that in the video. There was more traffic behind her. As soon as he had room to squeeze in he did. I don't feel safe cutting in front of someone with less than 2 car lengths between us. Hate it when people do it to me as well. Sometimes I am planning on going back to the right lane after passing someone, but impatient traffic behind me makes it impossible because they pass on my right before I can safely move over.
Exactly. Around here the roads are clogged with people who care about nothing besides getting to that red light five seconds faster than anyone else. If you try to rely on the good graces of people in the next lane over to let you in as soon as you put on your blinker, then you will be missing a lot of turns.

I am a huge stickler for slower traffic keeping right, WHERE APPLICABLE. IMO, a two lane surface street, with cross traffic, and exits to either side does not count. If I'm going eighty mph in the left lane of a sixty five zone, and some hot Rodder comes from nowhere going much faster, I will do my best to get over and let him past, but I won't accelerate to unsafe speeds, or squeeze in a too tight spot. Just as faster traffic should expect some compliance, I would expect people to know they can't Pop out of nowhere and expect everyone to bow to their whim.
AlTheKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 11:51 AM   #38
Slaninar
Bike Gremlin
 
Slaninar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Novi Sad
Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).
Posts: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller View Post
I am a huge stickler for slower traffic keeping right, WHERE APPLICABLE. IMO, a two lane surface street, with cross traffic, and exits to either side does not count. If I'm going eighty mph in the left lane of a sixty five zone, and some hot Rodder comes from nowhere going much faster, I will do my best to get over and let him past, but I won't accelerate to unsafe speeds, or squeeze in a too tight spot. Just as faster traffic should expect some compliance, I would expect people to know they can't Pop out of nowhere and expect everyone to bow to their whim.
100% agree with you. That's my policy as well.
Slaninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 12:03 PM   #39
spare_wheel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NA
Bikes: NA
Posts: 4,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaninar View Post
When faster traffic comes from behind, it is nice to switch to the slower, right lane (or left in Enlgand) and let them pass. Those who don't do it are being rude, inconsiderate.
Feh.

You know what I find to be genuinely rude and dangerous? Aggressively exceeding the speed limit and being in a "hurry" while driving a multi-ton heavy machine around other human beings. IMO, the woman was only being a good citizen by documenting this sociopathic behavior. Aggressive driving and excessive speed should be treated like driving under the influence.
spare_wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 12:23 PM   #40
Slaninar
Bike Gremlin
 
Slaninar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Novi Sad
Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).
Posts: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by spare_wheel View Post
Feh.

You know what I find to be genuinely rude and dangerous? Aggressively exceeding the speed limit and being in a "hurry" while driving a multi-ton heavy machine around other human beings. IMO, the woman was only being a good citizen by documenting this sociopathic behavior. Aggressive driving and excessive speed should be treated like driving under the influence.
Both the woman and the man in that video behaved like jerks in my book.


As far as speeding goes: I often go over and under speed limits - making sure I can stop in the distance I can observe. If there's a truck parked by the road, I slow down in case someone jumps out behind the parked truck. If the road is clear and I can see potential hazards coming from sides in time - I sometimes do twice the speed limit, or more. Just making sure I can stop in time.
Slaninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 12:34 PM   #41
spare_wheel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NA
Bikes: NA
Posts: 4,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaninar View Post
Both the woman and the man in that video behaved like jerks in my book.
The woman was in the left lane because she planned to turn left. IMO, the woman was a freaking heroine for documenting this raging cagers criminality.

Quote:
I sometimes do twice the speed limit, or more.
Attached Images
File Type: png speed_kills_mutrax.png (39.2 KB, 2 views)
spare_wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 01:04 PM   #42
Slaninar
Bike Gremlin
 
Slaninar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Novi Sad
Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).
Posts: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by spare_wheel View Post
The woman was in the left lane because she planned to turn left. IMO, the woman was a freaking heroine for documenting this raging cagers criminality.
Yes - she planned that turn like a week ahead. Then drove using her mobile phone. Real superhero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spare_wheel View Post


Myees. I also run red lights - regularly on foot and even on a bicycle! ARRR!
Slaninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 01:23 PM   #43
the_tool_man
Senior Member
 
the_tool_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spartanburg, SC, USA
Bikes: 1983 Fuji Touring Series IV, Masi Volumetrica 3VC
Posts: 255
It takes two to tango. They both were pretty stupid. All he had to do was be patient. All she had to do was ignore him, get out of the way to the right lane, or signal her intention to turn left (assuming that was her intention).

I think what bothers me most is the reaction of the woman to his crash. She found it funny, when he could have been seriously injured or worse. She must be some kind of sociopath.

Last edited by the_tool_man; 03-31-14 at 03:12 PM.
the_tool_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 06:57 PM   #44
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tool_man View Post
It takes two to tango. They both were pretty stupid. All he had to do was be patient. All she had to do was ignore him, get out of the way to the right lane, or signal her intention to turn left (assuming that was her intention).

I think what bothers me most is the reaction of the woman to his crash. She found it funny, when he could have been seriously injured or worse. She must be some kind of sociopath.
And if the guy killed himself with that kind of driving in that crash and since he did not hit anyone else this time, it means some other life was saved in the future with him taking himself off the roadway. That is not a bad thing.

Think how much safer our roadways would be if every drunk and road rager killed themselves in single car crashes the first time. The sociopath was the guy in the truck.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 07:38 PM   #45
katsrevenge
covered in cat fur
 
katsrevenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Willkes-Barre, PA
Bikes: Papillionaire Sommer, '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8, SixThreeZero SS Cruiser
Posts: 614
There are lots of these two lane not-highway roads around here. It is common practice to pull into the left in preparation to make a turn as early as possible because if you don't you may not be able to get over in time.

And, I'm all for this type of driver getting some karma. Guys like this in trucks like this are often the worst kind of driver to be around. They are often as bad as the guy in the BMW or the soccer mom. I'd LOVE to see a video with a BMW wrapped around a pole after not stopping for a stop sign or something...
katsrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 10:11 PM   #46
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Bikes:
Posts: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tool_man View Post
I think what bothers me most is the reaction of the woman to his crash. She found it funny, when he could have been seriously injured or worse. She must be some kind of sociopath.
she's not a sociopath. I would have laughed to. Because it's rare you actually see someone get their comeuppance. And when you do, you have to embrace it.

Like I said before, the guy got what he deserved. had he been injured, well, it was his fault. tough luck. you deserved and you did it to yourself by your own careless, and reckless actions. i have zero sympathy.
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 10:21 PM   #47
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by katsrevenge View Post
I'd LOVE to see a video with a BMW wrapped around a pole after not stopping for a stop sign or something...
Something like this.
Police: Speeding car Southeast victim ID'd
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 01:15 AM   #48
katsrevenge
covered in cat fur
 
katsrevenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Willkes-Barre, PA
Bikes: Papillionaire Sommer, '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8, SixThreeZero SS Cruiser
Posts: 614
Moron kid is lucky he walked away from that. I'm wondering just how fast he had to have been going, damn.

When I typed that I actually had a particular car and driver in my mind's eye. A middle aged local guy whose devotion to his cell phone and lead foot has led him into the road way too close to me more than a few times.Getting T-boned by a soccer mom would be karmic justice.
katsrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 07:40 AM   #49
the_tool_man
Senior Member
 
the_tool_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spartanburg, SC, USA
Bikes: 1983 Fuji Touring Series IV, Masi Volumetrica 3VC
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
And if the guy killed himself with that kind of driving in that crash and since he did not hit anyone else this time, it means some other life was saved in the future with him taking himself off the roadway. That is not a bad thing.
Or perhaps he learned from his mistake and some other life was saved in the future anyway. Maybe he invents a cure for cancer, or antigravity. Or maybe he's an idiot, but one of his kids born years in the future will do something great. We could speculate all day. But the fact is, we'll never know what might have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Think how much safer our roadways would be if every drunk and road rager killed themselves in single car crashes the first time. The sociopath was the guy in the truck.
I agree that the guy was acting like an idiot. He was clearly being very selfish and impatient, and attempting to control the situation when he clearly could not. But the woman, in her own way, was doing the same thing, attempting to control the situation. She could have de-escalated the situation, but didn't. Her victorious celebration in the wake of his wreck was over the top, in my opinion. Something tells me she leaves a swath of pain destruction in her wake wherever she goes.
the_tool_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 07:40 AM   #50
the_tool_man
Senior Member
 
the_tool_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spartanburg, SC, USA
Bikes: 1983 Fuji Touring Series IV, Masi Volumetrica 3VC
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Article says the driver is in critical condition. Maybe someone should throw a party. <-Sarcasm

Last edited by the_tool_man; 04-01-14 at 01:12 PM.
the_tool_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:23 AM.