Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,366
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    House with drainage issues?

    Looked at another house today:

    Robinson Twp - NWA Real Estate - 20 Fawnvue Drive, Robinson Twp - NWA, PA, 15136

    The house itself is attractive. The interior is pretty much immaculate and will need next to nothing. It is very close to my current home and in a very nice neighborhood.

    The problem is the hillside behind the house. It offers a lot of privacy but it is a source of drainage issues.

    There was water running down the hillside while we were there even though it has not be raining in about a week, There is a drain the runs diagonally across the hillside that appears to shunt most of the water into a catch basin. There is a retaining wall running the length of the hillside with French drain on both sides of the wall.

    Any drainage experts out there? Should I walk away? There just aren't that many place for sale here in my price range.





    There
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  2. #2
    Animated Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    That's a joke, ah say, that's a joke, son
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,990
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How old is the house? Is there a cellar?
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

  3. #3
    on by skijor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT
    Posts
    880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    31 yo...any movement of the foundation? Block or poured walls? Drainage tiles, sub pump present and in working order? Seems at least home inspection worthy.

  4. #4
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,366
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Built in 1983. There is a basement and it is finished. There are no signs of water damage. We talked to the owner and he really seemed to be on top of things.

    There was hay in the lawn in the backyard. Not sure what that means.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  5. #5
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,366
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skijor View Post
    31 yo...any movement of the foundation? Block or poured walls? Drainage tiles, sub pump present and in working order? Seems at least home inspection worthy.
    Home inspection for sure. I need to have one to get a loan anyway.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  6. #6
    on by skijor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT
    Posts
    880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
    There was hay in the lawn in the backyard. Not sure what that means.
    It can reduce erosion.

  7. #7
    Animated Member ahsposo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    That's a joke, ah say, that's a joke, son
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Posts
    6,990
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Or it could mean new grass seeds...

    A finished basement means it must stay pretty dry. When I lived in NC my cellar acted as a catch basin. There was a drain in the middle of the floor that always took whatever amount of water (and it was sometimes a lot) Mother Nature threw at it, but I could never 'finish' it.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

  8. #8
    Senior Member GuNoKo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    My Bikes
    '12 Gunnar Sport / '02 Novara commuter / Kona Hardtail 29er
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend you get the input of a local geotechnical engineer in regard to the seeping water issue. Also see if there exists in city records the original plans and studies in regard to drainage and slope stability behind the house. Lastly, go knock on your potential neighbors doors to find out of they have had any water/drainage issues.

  9. #9
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Does the basement smell musty? Are they masking smells in the basement with a de-humidifier?

    2) How long has the current owner lived in the house? Is he/she willing to acknowledge in the contract that there were no drainage issues on the property?

    3) Obviously get a professional Inspector to look at the grading. However, as a starting point you should be able to determine if the drainage looks reasonable. A steep hill in the backyard does not mean you'll have water problems. If the water is properly graded to either side of the property then it's likely fine. I can't really picture what you mean by the catch basin???

  10. #10
    Senior Member Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    in my recliner
    Posts
    1,953
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
    ...... There was hay in the lawn in the backyard. Not sure what that means.
    Me ether. Hay is a mixture of feed grasses grown, cut, and air-dried to later be feed to grazing animals. I can't think of many reasons to spread hay on a lawn. However... it is common to spread "straw" (The stalk of the wheat plant. Used as barn bedding after the wheat has been removed) when seeding new grass seed. The cover of straw prevents erosion and lightly shades new seed as well as conceal seeds from birds.

    I would guess that the area in question is unable to grow grass due to being both wet and shady.

  11. #11
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,366
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfster View Post
    1) Does the basement smell musty? Are they masking smells in the basement with a de-humidifier?

    2) How long has the current owner lived in the house? Is he/she willing to acknowledge in the contract that there were no drainage issues on the property?

    3) Obviously get a professional Inspector to look at the grading. However, as a starting point you should be able to determine if the drainage looks reasonable. A steep hill in the backyard does not mean you'll have water problems. If the water is properly graded to either side of the property then it's likely fine. I can't really picture what you mean by the catch basin???
    The basement does not smell musty at all. In fact it was the cleanest smelling home I visited today. It is a split level so the "basement" is slightly above ground.

    A catch basin is a tank with a grate where eater can collected to be drained away.

    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  12. #12
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,366
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    Me ether. Hay is a mixture of feed grasses grown, cut, and air-dried to later be feed to grazing animals. I can't think of many reasons to spread hay on a lawn. However... it is common to spread "straw" (The stalk of the wheat plant. Used as barn bedding after the wheat has been removed) when seeding new grass seed. The cover of straw prevents erosion and lightly shades new seed as well as conceal seeds from birds.

    I would guess that the area in question is unable to grow grass due to being both wet and shady.
    Hay / straw whatever. I my not exactly a city dweller but not a farmer either.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  13. #13
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,366
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post

    I would guess that the area in question is unable to grow grass due to being both wet and shady.
    It would be fine with me if I but a bed of those landscaping stones in there. The back yard is tiny but still less grass to cut for me!
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  14. #14
    Senior Member Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    in my recliner
    Posts
    1,953
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
    Hay / straw whatever. I my not exactly a city dweller but not a farmer either.
    My guess......
    1. Straw would imply a professional or knowledgeable person is attempting to grow grass to cover the area.
    2. Hay would imply someone who doesn't know what he/she is doing is throwing cover on the mud to conceal the area.

    I am not a farmer ether.

  15. #15
    Senior Member yote223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    MN.
    My Bikes
    A MTB and something else with 2 pedals.
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Split Level is a total deal breaker for me imho. Can't stand going up and down stairs everytime I want to go somewhere in the house. With that hill in the back, water WILL be an issue at some time. Murphy's Law is always waiting.
    It's hard to soar with the Eagles when you're flying with Turkeys
    Charter Member of PSIP Coalition.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This ones a *****. The basement might have been recently redone after extensive work to alleviate seepage. With a finished basement it's hard to tell unless the homeowner gives permission to rip out a section to let an engineer look-see.

    I hate water in a house, I still have nightmares 12 years after my first house had major issues. My current, being 100 years old with a cinder block foundation, does let water in, mostly after a 4-6 inch rainfall, but it's not a finished basement and never will be, so more nuisance then anything else and I have a sump. I also grew up in a house with a spring on the hill behind - which is what this sounds like, which is why water a week after a rain, and again, with no need to use the basement and the ability to mitigate the potential for damage - sump, dehumidifier, etc... Can be dealt with. Just maybe don't ever plan to use the basement, maybe plan to remove the finished work and be prepared for mold, plus anything stored to be in sealed Rubbermaid containers.. Your call

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,206
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuNoKo View Post
    I'd recommend you get the input of a local geotechnical engineer in regard to the seeping water issue. Also see if there exists in city records the original plans and studies in regard to drainage and slope stability behind the house. Lastly, go knock on your potential neighbors doors to find out of they have had any water/drainage issues.
    this

  18. #18
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hay may be there to keep animals, people from tracking mud out of backyard into house. Our dogs track mud into the house in the winter when grass is dormant.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  19. #19
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,366
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yote223 View Post
    Split Level is a total deal breaker for me imho. Can't stand going up and down stairs everytime I want to go somewhere in the house. With that hill in the back, water WILL be an issue at some time. Murphy's Law is always waiting.
    Everything is upstairs except for the basement. Right now I have two full flights of stairs. One for the basement. laundry work room and one to go up to bedrooms and showers, add the trip up the long steep hill to get to my house from the parking lot and I will be in heaven. Not sure if I decide to but the office in te basement but if I do I will spend most of my time there.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  20. #20
    Senior Member Flog00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Milan
    My Bikes
    Jamis Aurora Elite, Trek 620, Trek 720, Raleigh Sojourn, Centurion Accordo, Raleigh Sports.
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post

    There was hay in the lawn in the backyard. Not sure what that means.
    Hay would likely mean they were feeding an animal.
    2010 Jamis Aurora Elite
    1985 Trek 620, gone and returned in the 21" size!
    1985 Centurion Accordo,
    2011 Raleigh Sojourn,
    1980 Raleigh Sports,
    1979 Schwinn LeTour IV, gone.

  21. #21
    Curmudgeon in Training 20grit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rural Retreat, VA
    My Bikes
    1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab
    Posts
    1,937
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you want a reason to walk away?

    Split levels are a nightmare for anyone with mobility problems. If you plan to stay there until old age, be prepared.

  22. #22
    Senior Member himespau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    7,721
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We recently bought a house in a hillside like that (but reverse, so walk out basement rather than garage) and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Don't really have much in the way of drainage problems, but landscaping it is a nightmare and mowing is just as bad. Cut the sod and it erodes like a mother, and nothing wants to grow in our clay. No place for a garden, and it's not the best for our 3 year old to play. If that sort of stuff doesn't concern you, get an inspector.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"


  23. #23
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,366
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flog00 View Post
    Hay would likely mean they were feeding an animal.
    You just couldn't resist piling on could you? What did your comment add to the conversation other than letting others know how smart you think you are?
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  24. #24
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,366
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 20grit View Post
    Do you want a reason to walk away?

    Split levels are a nightmare for anyone with mobility problems. If you plan to stay there until old age, be prepared.
    The split level doesn't concern me. I have lots of years before I get there baring an accident. My parents are in their 90s and they have 3 levels. My mom has arthritis and she still does the laundry in the basement and climbs the stairs to the 2nd floor to put them away.

    Yes I would love a ranch but there just aren't many options out there in the area I want to live at the price I want to pay.

    Though I do see your point about dealing with mobility problems. It would be expensive to deal with considering a stair lift would be difficult to intall or so it seems.

    I might be walking because of price anyway. He wants $174.5K and I simply don't want to go that high. I don't want to go beyond $165K.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  25. #25
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,366
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by himespau View Post
    No place for a garden, and it's not the best for our 3 year old to play. If that sort of stuff doesn't concern you, get an inspector.
    Yeah same issue with this place. I tiny back yard. No kids and no pets. I like the small back yard because less for me to cut. It will already be a culture shock since I live in a townhouse for the last 30 years where everything is done outside for me. What does concern me about the small back yard and the water is my future ability to sell the place. Going to be my justification for giving a low initial bid.


    But I just have to get of here. I have a pea brain next door that sits in front drinking all day. He invites his lazy azz friends and some of the neighbors over and they stand around and drink complete with foul language. Not that I am a prude, I can swear with the best of them but I don't do it loudly out in public especially when there are kids around. That kind of behavior is not good for property values.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •