Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   I Beat My Neighbors to the Punch! (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/950392-i-beat-my-neighbors-punch.html)

Tom Stormcrowe 05-27-14 12:46 PM

I Beat My Neighbors to the Punch!
 
I managed to cut my own yard today. It's hilarious.....I have to sneak out and do it while they're off, or I wind up with a whole crew cutting my lot for me and they get offended if I even try to pay them. Muchas gracias is sufficient!

I bought a mulching mower today, and got to play with it myself. Jose and Co. are off in their work, and will certainly be surprised to see the yard cut. The mower also helps my with stability like a multifunction walker. This is gonna be a good thing, therapeutically!


I really can't fault my neighbors, by the way, other than perhaps trying to help me too much. I wish everyone had neighbors like mine, I can assure you.......the world would be a far happier place. I really have been adopted as a "Village Elder". Still, even though I'm utterly wiped from the mowing, it feels good, and I have a sense of personal accomplishment. I wasn't sure I had it in me yet. I do, though.....barely, but I do!

Jeff Wills 05-27-14 01:00 PM

Mulchas grassias?

mconlonx 05-27-14 01:10 PM

Don Stormcrowe, el Patron.

Tom Stormcrowe 05-27-14 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moochems (Post 16796070)
What does it feel like being the Village Elder?

old

Quote:

Originally Posted by mconlonx (Post 16796096)
Don Stormcrowe, el Patron.


They really do call me Don Tomas, or El Senor, or Padron.

BenzFanatic 05-27-14 01:36 PM

Here when your lawn gets bad enough for someone to complain the village just sends a crew out and bills you. Neighbors in upper middle class suburbia are for nothing but gossip.

rumrunn6 05-27-14 01:43 PM

guy in my town passed away this week mowing his lawn. be careful out there. he was only 41

no motor? 05-27-14 01:57 PM

Better the Village Elder than the Village Idiot.

Dan Burkhart 05-27-14 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 16796205)
guy in my town passed away this week mowing his lawn. be careful out there. he was only 41

The same thing happened to a friend of mine at age 48. That was 12 years ago. He and I were the same age.
Still mowing my own grass with a non motorized reel mower, but that's still one of the least strenuous activities I engage in.

Dan Burkhart 05-27-14 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe (Post 16796002)
I managed to cut my own yard today. It's hilarious.....I have to sneak out and do it while they're off, or I wind up with a whole crew cutting my lot for me and they get offended if I even try to pay them. Muchas gracias is sufficient!

I bought a mulching mower today, and got to play with it myself. Jose and Co. are off in their work, and will certainly be surprised to see the yard cut. The mower also helps my with stability like a multifunction walker. This is gonna be a good thing, therapeutically!


I really can't fault my neighbors, by the way, other than perhaps trying to help me too much. I wish everyone had neighbors like mine, I can assure you.......the world would be a far happier place. I really have been adopted as a "Village Elder". Still, even though I'm utterly wiped from the mowing, it feels good, and I have a sense of personal accomplishment. I wasn't sure I had it in me yet. I do, though.....barely, but I do!

:thumb: Now that's progress. Good to hear.

Zinger 05-27-14 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 16796541)
Still mowing my own grass with a non motorized reel mower, but that's still one of the least strenuous activities I engage in.

I started out doing that with my huge lawn when I first moved into my house and had spent my entire savings on the down payment. Big difference between doing that with a small lawn and my huge back yard. Didn't take me long to borrow, then buy a decent "Snapper" mower.

rebel1916 05-27-14 03:45 PM

A buddy of mine broke his neck a few years back. He has full mobility now, but when it happened, you couldn't get a snow flurry without 3 guys showing up at his place looking to shovel him out. Most people are pretty decent.

Dan Burkhart 05-27-14 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zinger (Post 16796611)
I started out doing that with my huge lawn when I first moved into my house and had spent my entire savings on the down payment. Big difference between doing that with a small lawn and my huge back yard. Didn't take me long to borrow, then buy a decent "Snapper" mower.

Yeah, my yard isn't very big. If it was, I'd probably just buy a goat.

Tom Stormcrowe 05-27-14 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebel1916 (Post 16796613)
A buddy of mine broke his neck a few years back. He has full mobility now, but when it happened, you couldn't get a snow flurry without 3 guys showing up at his place looking to shovel him out. Most people are pretty decent.


I've never had neighbors like this since I was a kid, though. Then again, I rented and lived in apartments before I bought this place, down here in Fla and bought into a park that's primarily Guatemalan residents. I help them with legal docs, though, and give rides to immigration processes, and help them sort out issues. It's all good, though and fair trade. We have some gang bangers in here as well with MS13, and they even trat me with honor, and MS13 has a history of not getting along with Norte's.

We actually didn't intend to move to Fla, rather, just spend the winter on the boat and go back to Indiana. My wife fell from the deck to the pavement though while we were rigging the boat and had a rather nasty TBI. It was about an 8' fall and we're lucky she didn't die, actually. I had to scramble and get us a place to land with an expected release possible for my wife from the hospital as quickly as a week......turned out to be 2, happily. I pretty much had to buy here because it was all that was available, so for an unplanned move, to a low income trailer park, with a severely injured wife, and then my having issues right after she got out from a bad reaction to my then anticoagulant, Xeralto, we wound up in an amazing good place.

Then I had my strokes in September and spent most of Sept to January in the hospital and my wife still has recovery to do from her TBI, yet. ALL of our neighbors stepped up (except for the "American" residents.....they tried to hustle my wife for money by offering to take her to see me and then charging her $30 for "gas" for a 10 mile trip. We wound up hiring the park manager's daughter for a driver for the wife while I was in hospital, to take her over where I was at in West Palm, and help her run errands and be on call for 3 days a week and we provided the car. I don't mind paying someone a fair wage for services.

She made $500 a month for 4 months for a part time job for cash, and was happy as can be. Our Anglo neighbors could have made that money, but they tried to take advantage of my wife, so they lost out.

rebel1916 05-27-14 05:09 PM

We can argue about immigration policy til we are blue in the face, but every central american migrant I have had the pleasure of working with has been an extraordinarily hard working family man. Be careful with the Salvatruchas, but if you are not in the life, you have little to worry about.

bhchdh 05-27-14 05:13 PM

:thumb: Glad to hear you are progressing well.

FlatTop 05-27-14 06:19 PM

Way to go, Tom. It feels great to get back a measure of physical ability, I've been there too.

"They really do call me Don Tomas, or El Senor, or Padron".
Foo calls you, "The Most Interesting Man In the World":D

jgedwa 05-27-14 06:38 PM

Having people around you like that make all the difference in life, I think.

Hey, and don't discourage them too much from helping you. Think of it this way: if the situation were reversed, would you be thrilled to help them out? I bet you would. Its not so bad giving someone the gift of helping you out.

Jim

Rowan 05-27-14 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe (Post 16796842)
I've never had neighbors like this since I was a kid, though. Then again, I rented and lived in apartments before I bought this place, down here in Fla and bought into a park that's primarily Guatemalan residents. I help them with legal docs, though, and give rides to immigration processes, and help them sort out issues. It's all good, though and fair trade. We have some gang bangers in here as well with MS13, and they even trat me with honor, and MS13 has a history of not getting along with Norte's.

We actually didn't intend to move to Fla, rather, just spend the winter on the boat and go back to Indiana. My wife fell from the deck to the pavement though while we were rigging the boat and had a rather nasty TBI. It was about an 8' fall and we're lucky she didn't die, actually. I had to scramble and get us a place to land with an expected release possible for my wife from the hospital as quickly as a week......turned out to be 2, happily. I pretty much had to buy here because it was all that was available, so for an unplanned move, to a low income trailer park, with a severely injured wife, and then my having issues right after she got out from a bad reaction to my then anticoagulant, Xeralto, we wound up in an amazing good place.

Then I had my strokes in September and spent most of Sept to January in the hospital and my wife still has recovery to do from her TBI, yet. ALL of our neighbors stepped up (except for the "American" residents.....they tried to hustle my wife for money by offering to take her to see me and then charging her $30 for "gas" for a 10 mile trip. We wound up hiring the park manager's daughter for a driver for the wife while I was in hospital, to take her over where I was at in West Palm, and help her run errands and be on call for 3 days a week and we provided the car. I don't mind paying someone a fair wage for services.

She made $500 a month for 4 months for a part time job for cash, and was happy as can be. Our Anglo neighbors could have made that money, but they tried to take advantage of my wife, so they lost out.

Wow. Just wow.

\


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:37 AM.