Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-14, 09:40 PM   #1
DBA
Guest
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
smoker

Got one for my bday....need ideas.
definitely going to be doing a turkey and some pork butts. Anyone got a good sausage recipe?
DBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-14, 09:54 PM   #2
windhchaser 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes: Felt nine flow
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
beef and deer jerky marante either in soy sauce and brown sugar and some haberno sauce a course first slice it thin
windhchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-14, 09:54 PM   #3
windhchaser 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes: Felt nine flow
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
ps happy birthday
windhchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 12:58 AM   #4
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid
 
Zinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane WA
Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
Posts: 2,506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by windhchaser View Post
beef and deer jerky marante either in soy sauce and brown sugar and some haberno sauce a course first slice it thin
Yum yum. That's one of the few ways I like venison.
Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 01:03 AM   #5
eschlwc
billy chuck
 
eschlwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: on the beach
Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson
Posts: 4,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
smoker



i want one.
eschlwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 05:56 AM   #6
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Star off easy with a Turkey Breast or a Butt Roast. Welcome to the Brotherhood of the BBQ/Smoker! What kind did you get? Brinkmann Water Smoker or an offset? The Brinkmann will be easier to master, but the offset gives a wider range of smoking temps available, depending on air management. Also, remember KEEP IT CLOSED!!!!! Every tome you open it to check the temp, yuou'll add 15 minutes to the smoking time. Also, invest in good thermometers. My personal reccomendation would be one that you leave in the meat and it has a reraduout outside the smoker to monitor the meat's core temp.

Here's the starter Turkey Breast or whole bird recipe:

How to smoke turkey breast - Smoked Turkey Breast Recipe | RECIPES

or for whole chickens

Smoked Chicken Recipe | How to Smoke a Chicken Recipe
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 06:55 AM   #7
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA View Post
Got one for my bday....need ideas.
definitely going to be doing a turkey and some pork butts. Anyone got a good sausage recipe?
You have a grinder I take it?
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 06:58 AM   #8
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
Posts: 4,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA View Post
Got one for my bday....need ideas.
definitely going to be doing a turkey and some pork butts. Anyone got a good sausage recipe?
Please me mindful of your neighbors when using it. I live in a townhouse where everyone is very close. The back of the building faces a hillside that is only about 30 feet away so the backyards are in short of a valley.

My neighbor would load his charcoal grill with those smoke chips. The smoke would get trapped in the "valley". Worse the idiot had the grill shoved up against the wall of our building. All that smoke would go up into my unit. I told him about it and he got upset and has not talked to me in 5 years.

He moved the grill near the hillside but it was not too much better. All that smoke would get trapped in the "valley". He has since switched to propane. My guess is other neighbors were complaining about the stink he was creating.
spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 07:04 AM   #9
DBA
Guest
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Star off easy with a Turkey Breast or a Butt Roast. Welcome to the Brotherhood of the BBQ/Smoker! What kind did you get? Brinkmann Water Smoker or an offset? The Brinkmann will be easier to master, but the offset gives a wider range of smoking temps available, depending on air management. Also, remember KEEP IT CLOSED!!!!! Every tome you open it to check the temp, yuou'll add 15 minutes to the smoking time. Also, invest in good thermometers. My personal reccomendation would be one that you leave in the meat and it has a reraduout outside the smoker to monitor the meat's core temp.

Here's the starter Turkey Breast or whole bird recipe:

How to smoke turkey breast - Smoked Turkey Breast Recipe | RECIPES

or for whole chickens

Smoked Chicken Recipe | How to Smoke a Chicken Recipe
Brinkmann 2 door vertical....will season it this afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
You have a grinder I take it?
DBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 07:05 AM   #10
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
Please me mindful of your neighbors when using it. I live in a townhouse where everyone is very close. The back of the building faces a hillside that is only about 30 feet away so the backyards are in short of a valley.

My neighbor would load his charcoal grill with those smoke chips. The smoke would get trapped in the "valley". Worse the idiot had the grill shoved up against the wall of our building. All that smoke would go up into my unit. I told him about it and he got upset and has not talked to me in 5 years.

He moved the grill near the hillside but it was not too much better. All that smoke would get trapped in the "valley". He has since switched to propane. My guess is other neighbors were complaining about the stink he was creating.
He should have bribed you with delicious smoked meats.. perhaps the smell would have appealed to you then! Seriously though, operating a smoker requires some space so I sympathize.
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 07:06 AM   #11
DBA
Guest
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
You have a grinder I take it?
Not yet....but shopping for a small one.
DBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 07:08 AM   #12
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA View Post
Not yet....but shopping for a small one.
You seem to be a person after my own heart. Electric or charcoal smoker out of curiousity?
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 07:31 AM   #13
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
Posts: 4,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
He should have bribed you with delicious smoked meats.. perhaps the smell would have appealed to you then! Seriously though, operating a smoker requires some space so I sympathize.
Not really. My whole place would stink for the day. Like I said I am guessing other neighbors were complaining because he does not do it anymore or at least I have not had my windows open when he was using the grill But I am pretty sure he has propane now.
spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 07:36 AM   #14
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
Not really. My whole place would stink for the day. Like I said I am guessing other neighbors were complaining because he does not do it anymore or at least I have not had my windows open when he was using the grill But I am pretty sure he has propane now.
Propane is a lot less flavorful IMO, but I was quite serious about it requiring space.. I can't really imagine operating a charcoal smoker in a suburban environment.
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 08:06 AM   #15
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA View Post
Brinkmann 2 door vertical....will season it this afternoon.
You'll love it's user friendliness. A couple of hacks...

Put the legs on backwards to how they're supposed to be (On the outside of the burner barrel rather than the inside...eliminating the 3 point platform for the pan) and place a carriage bolt set of tripod pegs on the burner pan and you can easily refuel the burner pan on long smokes by buying an extra burner pan and add the carriage bolt legs there too, and lift the whole smoker off the pan and put it over the other one after you have that one lit off and stable as ashed over coals. That way, the only time you need to open the fuel door is to add chunks of wood. This keeps your smoker temp much more stable.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 08:12 AM   #16
DBA
Guest
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
You seem to be a person after my own heart. Electric or charcoal smoker out of curiousity?
Charcoal....I have a gas grill, but prefer charcoal. So this will be a nice addition.
DBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 08:15 AM   #17
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA View Post
Charcoal....I have a gas grill, but prefer charcoal. So this will be a nice addition.
Score! I can't wait to see you taunt us with tasty treats like Tom does.
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 08:27 AM   #18
DBA
Guest
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
You'll love it's user friendliness. A couple of hacks...

Put the legs on backwards to how they're supposed to be (On the outside of the burner barrel rather than the inside...eliminating the 3 point platform for the pan) and place a carriage bolt set of tripod pegs on the burner pan and you can easily refuel the burner pan on long smokes by buying an extra burner pan and add the carriage bolt legs there too, and lift the whole smoker off the pan and put it over the other one after you have that one lit off and stable as ashed over coals. That way, the only time you need to open the fuel door is to add chunks of wood. This keeps your smoker temp much more stable.
It's not the round one....this thing is a rectangular box with slide in pans for coals and liquids. From what I read, I need to drill some holes in the coal pan so it will burn properly. Generally good reviews on it though. I'd post pics, but I'm on the nook right now.
DBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 08:36 AM   #19
JGM411 
Senior Member
 
JGM411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Carlyle
Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2 2013 Trek 7.3, 1973 Schwinn Continental, 1967 AMF Hercules
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
happy birthday. I had two vertical Brinkmann's prior to my Big Green Egg. Brisket is actually easier on the Brinkman than on the BGE. When smoking a brisket on the Brinkman, I split the brisket between the flat and point. The large piece went on the lower rack and the flat went on the top. Make sure you keep the water pan filled.

Also, RIBS turn out great on the Brinkman.. ...spare ribs, baby backs, St Louis cut, etc; they all come out great as long as you manage temperatures.
JGM411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 08:37 AM   #20
RoadTire 
Senior Member
 
RoadTire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb
Posts: 1,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I take a whole turkey and smoke it for about 8 or more hours, nice and slow, constantly keeping good smoke and low heat, and water in the pan below it. Spend the whole day just babysitting the thing. The skin is awful black and you would think the whole bird has been petrified, but under the skin is the most wonderful moist meat ever. Maybe the smokey char skin seals it really well, I don't know. I haven't used much for spices or herbs when smoking the turkey, just some olive oil butter garlic powder mix. (In this case fresh garlic doesn't' seem to have the same sharpness I like)

On the off chance the meat isn't completely cooked to your satisfaction, (we use a thermometer jammed halfway into the thickest meat) just a little time in the oven finished it up, and doesn't degrade the bird, as long as you keep it totally sealed in foil.

Addendum: Happy Birthday.
__________________
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
RoadTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 12:03 PM   #21
mrodgers
Senior Member
 
mrodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western PA
Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1
Posts: 1,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the same Brinkmann. Don't bother with drilling holes, it would have to be a lot of holes. Just run to Walmart and get one of those grilling baskets for your charcoal bowl.

I can't get high temps for poultry. The good thing is, mine will sit all day at 225. Another mod would be to get some oven door gasket and seal the doors.

Absolutely use lump charcoal and not briquettes. I found a very extensive charcoal comparison site on the net. Royal Oak lump came out pretty high on the list and is available at Walmart. Don't buy the lump stuff at Lowes, it is garbage.

Use a chimney starter. I was amazed first time I used mine. Fill the bowl of the smoker half full of unlit lump. Light half a chimney of lump and dump it on top of the unlit. I use 3 chunks of hickory and about every hour add a handful of unlit lump and another hickory chunk or 2.

Best meal I have ever had in my life was my ribs out of the smoker. For ribs, I use the 321 method. 3 hours of smoke, wrap with foil with a splash of apple juice for 2 hours, unwrap and sauce for 1 hour. Ribs end up perfect with a perfect tug to get off the bone (fall off the bone is over done.)

Last edited by mrodgers; 06-01-14 at 12:06 PM.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 03:11 PM   #22
roadfix
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 18,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My first smoker was a Brinkman Gourmet electric. I was never happy with the electric element in the unit so I eventually converted it to charcoal use after making a few mods to it. Now it is so much more efficient and runs like a WMS.
My main smoker is a 55 gallon UDS. I have a mini drum smoker as well for smaller cooks.

As for smoking ribs, I almost never foil, but when I do foil, I foil for an hour or less. And I usually like to smoke at 275-300F. My UDS is happy cruising at those temps.

Last edited by roadfix; 06-01-14 at 03:18 PM.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 AM.