Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    Senior Member CrankyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    719
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Brooklyn Bridge Flags

    White flags mysteriously replace American flags on top of Brooklyn Bridge | Fox News

    My guess is that this was opportunism and not the real deal behind these white flags, but I can certainly relate to the sentiment as tourists on the bridge can be quite clueless.
    "Trying to cure traffic congestion by adding more capacity is like trying to cure obesity by loosening your belt." - ATL Urbanist

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    22,407
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The flags are simply more evidence that you can't solve all problems with heightened security.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,416
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you really think this happened just because FOX NEWS said so?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    22,407
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
    Do you really think this happened just because FOX NEWS said so?
    What part don't you believe. The flags WERE there this AM. That's the what, where and when. The who, why and how remain a bit of a mystery.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,416
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    What part don't you believe. The flags WERE there this AM. That's the what, where and when. The who, why and how remain a bit of a mystery.
    The title of this thread is "Bicyclists surrender Brooklyn Bridge", which is what FOX NEWS was claiming (at least this morning). Personally, I am very dubious that bicyclists have anything to do with this.


  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    422
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
    Do you really think this happened just because FOX NEWS said so?
    For the next few hours, you can go to the archives here, starting at daylight you can see the white flags, you can watch one American flag go up just before 1:00pm, and the other American flag go up just about 3:37pm.

    -mr. bill
    Don't blame me, I'm from Massachusetts.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    22,407
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
    The title of this thread is "Bicyclists surrender Brooklyn Bridge", which is what FOX NEWS was claiming (at least this morning). Personally, I am very dubious that bicyclists have anything to do with this.

    Sorry, that wasn't in the Fox story I read, or any other coverage. I assumed it was the OP's way of making this legitimate fodder for this forum.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    422
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
    The title of this thread is "Bicyclists surrender Brooklyn Bridge", which is what FOX NEWS was claiming (at least this morning). Personally, I am very dubious that bicyclists have anything to do with this.

    Oh, Fox News just doesn't understand the Internut.

    -mr. bill
    Don't blame me, I'm from Massachusetts.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    in my recliner
    Posts
    1,946
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
    The title of this thread is "Bicyclists surrender Brooklyn Bridge", which is what FOX NEWS was claiming (at least this morning). Personally, I am very dubious that bicyclists have anything to do with this.
    A local cycling club had claimed responsibility... in humor (as reported by Fox News). No one knows who put up the flags or why.

    Maybe this would be better placed in PO.
    Last edited by Dave Cutter; 07-22-14 at 09:27 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    My Bikes
    Giant Anyroad
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love a good old fashioned harmless prank like this. The po-po should go back to worrying about meth dealers and child traffickers while worrying less about who climbed a bridge and swapped a couple flags. If there was some nefarious intent then the bridge would already be in the drink.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    22,407
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    I love a good old fashioned harmless prank like this. The po-po should go back to worrying about meth dealers and child traffickers while worrying less about who climbed a bridge and swapped a couple flags. If there was some nefarious intent then the bridge would already be in the drink.
    I'm with you. There were a number of incidents involving pranks and security breaches, and the city pursued prosecutions. IMO anyone who commits a prank that exposes a breach in security should receive the thanks of the city, and be given a stipend or some sort of thank you gift.

    I don't want to encourage constant pranks or mock assaults, but these are the best way of testing to see if folks are on the ball. Don't get mad at the guys who planted the flag, get mad at the folks drawing pay for preventing stuff like this.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    in my recliner
    Posts
    1,946
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    ...... Don't get mad at the guys who planted the flag, get mad at the folks drawing pay for preventing stuff like this.
    I am not a New Yorker.... but the news about NYC out in fly-over country is the units that were "drawing pay for preventing stuff like this" was disbanded by the new Mayor. If the police don't find the "pranksters"..... I'd look in their direction. I'd say... someone might be trying to send a message.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    My Bikes
    Giant Anyroad
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    I'm with you. There were a number of incidents involving pranks and security breaches, and the city pursued prosecutions. IMO anyone who commits a prank that exposes a breach in security should receive the thanks of the city, and be given a stipend or some sort of thank you gift.

    I don't want to encourage constant pranks or mock assaults, but these are the best way of testing to see if folks are on the ball. Don't get mad at the guys who planted the flag, get mad at the folks drawing pay for preventing stuff like this.
    Agreed

  14. #14
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    4,148
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither Fox News nor I believe that cyclist had any thing to do with placing the white flags up there. It does show that security was very lax on that important bridge.

  15. #15
    incazzare. lostarchitect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    See sig
    Posts
    4,393
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    I am not a New Yorker.... but the news about NYC out in fly-over country is the units that were "drawing pay for preventing stuff like this" was disbanded by the new Mayor. If the police don't find the "pranksters"..... I'd look in their direction. I'd say... someone might be trying to send a message.

    LOL. If you think the mayor disbanded the anti-terrorism units, you have been watching too much FOX news.
    1964 JRJ (Bob Jackson), 1973 Wes Mason, 2000ish Colian (Colin Laing), 2013 Velo Orange Pass Hunter

  16. #16
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,549
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    Neither Fox News nor I believe...
    Ya mean there sometimes is any disagreement in the "beliefs" of youse guys?

    I'm shocked, shocked to learn of this!

  17. #17
    Senior Member Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    in my recliner
    Posts
    1,946
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lostarchitect View Post
    LOL. If you think the mayor disbanded the anti-terrorism units, you have been watching too much FOX news.
    So what/who is it you read for your news? It wasn't my post! I didn't mention "anti-terrorism". Did Fox News do that? Give me a hint as to when... and I'll search that.

    Or... are you just quoting my post to someone else.... so you can rant against Fox?

  18. #18
    Senior Member italktocats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    214
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    The flags are simply more evidence that you can't solve all problems with heightened security.
    no, we need more security! lock everybody up!

  19. #19
    Senior Member CrankyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    719
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's clear up a few things before some people on here have heart failure... The original stories on AP, CNBC, DN, Fox, ABC, and a long list of others included that @bicyclelobby had tweeted that they were responsible for the white flags and that the flags were a sign that they surrendered the Brooklyn Bridge to pedestrians. Fox's original story that I'd linked to included a note that it was doubtful this group actually had anything to do with the flags while AP, CNBC, DN, ABC, and others simply stated that this group had taken responsibility. In my original post, that apparently some didn't read, I also included that I did not believe this was the real deal behind these flags.

    BTW, @bicyclelobby has now publicly revealed that they are a parody acct (which was apparently well hidden previously).

    In any event, cheers to @bicyclelobby for pranking on the prank and succeeding.
    "Trying to cure traffic congestion by adding more capacity is like trying to cure obesity by loosening your belt." - ATL Urbanist

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    22,407
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOne View Post
    Let's clear up a few things before some people on here have heart failure... The original stories on AP, CNBC, DN, Fox, ABC, and a long list of others included that @bicyclelobby had tweeted that they were responsible for the white flags and that the flags were a sign that they surrendered the Brooklyn Bridge to pedestrians. Fox's original story that I'd linked to included a note that it was doubtful this group actually had anything to do with the flags while AP, CNBC, DN, ABC, and others simply stated that this group had taken responsibility. In my original post, that apparently some didn't read, I also included that I did not believe this was the real deal behind these flags.

    BTW, @bicyclelobby has now publicly revealed that they are a parody acct (which was apparently well hidden previously).

    In any event, cheers to @bicyclelobby for pranking on the prank and succeeding.
    It just goes to show how sloppy the media are in gathering their stories. It reminds me of the frequency that the AP will pick up on a story from The Onion and then various papers and TV news stations would report it as fact.

    The art of satire is dying from the combined effects of audience gullibility and truth getting stranger than fiction.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  21. #21
    incazzare. lostarchitect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    See sig
    Posts
    4,393
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOne View Post
    BTW, @bicyclelobby has now publicly revealed that they are a parody acct (which was apparently well hidden previously).
    It wasn't well hidden at all, it was right in their profile on Twitter. It's just that in their rush to be first to publish the "scoop," the media outlets didn't bother checking...anything, apparently.
    1964 JRJ (Bob Jackson), 1973 Wes Mason, 2000ish Colian (Colin Laing), 2013 Velo Orange Pass Hunter

  22. #22
    incazzare. lostarchitect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    See sig
    Posts
    4,393
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    So what/who is it you read for your news? It wasn't my post! I didn't mention "anti-terrorism". Did Fox News do that? Give me a hint as to when... and I'll search that.

    Or... are you just quoting my post to someone else.... so you can rant against Fox?

    ...What? Reboot your syntax filter and try again.
    1964 JRJ (Bob Jackson), 1973 Wes Mason, 2000ish Colian (Colin Laing), 2013 Velo Orange Pass Hunter

  23. #23
    Senior Member CrankyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    719
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    It just goes to show how sloppy the media are in gathering their stories. It reminds me of the frequency that the AP will pick up on a story from The Onion and then various papers and TV news stations would report it as fact.

    The art of satire is dying from the combined effects of audience gullibility and truth getting stranger than fiction.
    Agree. On all points. There is also a huge issue of story creep as people slightly reword a true story, again, and again.
    "Trying to cure traffic congestion by adding more capacity is like trying to cure obesity by loosening your belt." - ATL Urbanist

  24. #24
    Senior Member Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    in my recliner
    Posts
    1,946
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lostarchitect View Post
    ...What? Reboot your syntax filter and try again.
    So.... you're just a troll.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Chicago Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, the leafy NW side
    Posts
    2,252
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave cutter View Post
    so what/who is it you read for your news? It wasn't my post! I didn't mention "anti-terrorism". Did fox news do that? give me a hint as to when... and i'll search that.

    Or... Are you just quoting my post to someone else.... So you can rant against fox?
    Quote Originally Posted by dave cutter
    but the news about nyc out in fly-over country is the units that were "drawing pay for preventing stuff like this" was disbanded by the new mayor.
    You did not explicitly say 'anti-terrorism' but you implied it. Which is fine, you were just quoting 'the news about nyc out in fly-over country.' Whatever that is...but I suspect it might indeed be Fox. Maybe you can recall what the source was, as 'disbanding' an anti-terrorist unit would be pretty serious and I'm sure you wouldn't just repeat some idle rumor.

    Funny how after 9/11 everyone in America loved NYC, later on not so much, though it's not quite back to the level of 'Drop Dead' as in the famous newspaper headline.

    By the way...there was something about Mr Cutter's words and phrasing...particularly his use of ellipses...that brought a long-forgotten voice to my mind...and I finally identified it...that of the stentorian Paul Harvey...a legendary radio and television broadcaster...the voice of middle America.

    So now you know....the rest...of the story.
    Last edited by Chicago Al; 07-24-14 at 04:09 PM.
    I never think I have hit hard, unless it rebounds.

    - Dr Samuel Johnson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •