Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    More desirable in a budget tablet- display or OS?

    As my daughter has maxed out the capacity on her Nextbook 7" w/8GB memory (no room left for the pending updates),we bought a new tablet for the girl today. It was a bundle that included an Acer Iconia 7" w/16GB on-board memory, case, screen cleaning kit, and a 16GB micrSD card. The box didn't really list the specs of the tablet and the Blue Shirt said that it had a rear camera (my daughter's one major requirement), so we bought it.

    Got it home, wife started unboxing it and... it didn't have a rear camera. Then she noticed the OS version- 4.1.2 and so she went and tried to update the OS and it won't . It went back into the box and will be returned tomorrow.

    So now my wife is considering getting either another Acer 7" or a MachSpeed Trio 10".

    If you were buying a cheap tablet for your young teen, which would you go with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  2. #2
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you looked at MS Surface tablets? The only thing I'd have done differently is purchased the 'Pro' version. I love the tablet as-is, however I wouldn't mind the capability of running regular Windows software.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Surface, iPad, Galaxy Tabs/Notes are all too spendy. Looking to stay under $175 w/tax.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  4. #4
    bill nyecycles the sci guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    1,167
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Screens at that price point won't vary much. Go for a better OS
    Twitter@theSurlyBiker

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    My Bikes
    Forest Green Dahon Boardwalk
    Posts
    181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Android is about your best bet, unless you get a used iPad. With most android devices, what version the device runs is dependent on when it was released. Whatever is current when the model is produced is likely all it will have(unless you start hacking it), maybe with an update if Google is about to release a new version of Android.

    I own a 10" Toshiba Thrive(sadly not in production any more), but the MachSpeed Trio doesn't look too bad(I haven't really dug into reviews though).

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Posts
    4,787
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what your daughter plans to do with it.

  7. #7
    covered in cat fur katsrevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Willkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8
    Posts
    376
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
    As my daughter has maxed out the capacity on her Nextbook 7" w/8GB memory (no room left for the pending updates),we bought a new tablet for the girl today. It was a bundle that included an Acer Iconia 7" w/16GB on-board memory, case, screen cleaning kit, and a 16GB micrSD card. The box didn't really list the specs of the tablet and the Blue Shirt said that it had a rear camera (my daughter's one major requirement), so we bought it.

    Got it home, wife started unboxing it and... it didn't have a rear camera. Then she noticed the OS version- 4.1.2 and so she went and tried to update the OS and it won't . It went back into the box and will be returned tomorrow.

    So now my wife is considering getting either another Acer 7" or a MachSpeed Trio 10".

    If you were buying a cheap tablet for your young teen, which would you go with?
    Go with something that can be rooted and that has an active cynogenmod rom. For that price point that is your best best.

    Seriously. I have an old Nook Color (it's nearly three-four years old now) that runs the lastest android OS. I mostly use it for desktop entertainment these days as the battery doesn't hold a charge that well any more.. But, it is running the new OS.

    That or tell your daughter to learn to delete crap off her devices. Teaching my nephew the ways of devices right now. He's got some little no-namer from the Mart with two camaras and a semi-decent processor but small storage space. He now installs onto his SD cards.

    That said, I got a hell of a deal on an Acer Smart 10 via ebay. I like it, even if there is no CM rom.
    Just one of those dirty pinko commies some people worry about.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prathmann View Post
    Depends on what your daughter plans to do with it.
    Youtube and Skype mostly, followed by whatever freebie games she can find and possibly read with it- basically everything she's currently doing on her present one. She wants the rear camera so that she can experiment with photography, though I think because she's enamored with "Youtubers", she's going to try and post up some videos as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  9. #9
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,720
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskanb3arcub View Post
    Android is about your best bet, unless you get a used iPad. With most android devices, what version the device runs is dependent on when it was released. Whatever is current when the model is produced is likely all it will have(unless you start hacking it), maybe with an update if Google is about to release a new version of Android.

    I own a 10" Toshiba Thrive(sadly not in production any more), but the MachSpeed Trio doesn't look too bad(I haven't really dug into reviews though).
    My mom has a Thrive (my dad got it as a gift from the company), but recently switched to a newer Toshiba tablet that runs Windows. Looks like I might be inheriting the Thrive.

    When I had to hunt for a used phone, I had a few criteria:
    1. Less than $100
    2. Android 4.x - latest possible for app compatibility & security fixes
    3. Otterbox case had to be available. (just broke the second screen on my Stratosphere 2)
    4. Gorilla glass was a bonus (see #2 )

    So I picked up a Droid RAZR ($80 with Otterbox case), which had 4.1.2 on it, but has been hacked and upgraded to CM11 (Android 4.4).

    In your case, I'd go for the MachSpeed, as it runs 4.4.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I Debian: I openSUSE: II

  10. #10
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    7,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update for anyone who may have had a remote interest.

    Wife just got around to returning it today. Ended up with this Asus model instead of the Mach Speed Trio- Asus MeMO Pad 7 Tablet 16GB ME176CX-A1-BK - Best Buy. Has the camera the girl wanted, the storage my wife wanted, and the OS that I wanted .
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •