Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-16, 02:58 PM   #1
Hypno Toad
meh
Thread Starter
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: 15 Surly Pugsley; 09 Kona Dew Drop, 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily: 96 Mondonico
Posts: 2,904
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
It's time for Fatbikes to have their own forum

Fatbiking is exploding, and fatbikes don't always fit with mountain bikes, sometimes it's winter biking, and sometimes it's commuting.... One sticky thread on Mountain Biking isn't enough. So it's time for Fatbikes to have their own forum on BF. Please and thank you!

I'm sure you can find dozens of threads to move to this new forum right away.
Hypno Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-16, 03:02 PM   #2
RPK79
Senior Member
 
RPK79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE MN
Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo
Posts: 10,302
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
Fatbiking is exploding
That's because carbon is becoming more common for fatbikes.
RPK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-16, 03:03 PM   #3
Hypno Toad
meh
Thread Starter
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: 15 Surly Pugsley; 09 Kona Dew Drop, 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily: 96 Mondonico
Posts: 2,904
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
That's because carbon is becoming more common for fatbikes.
That made me laugh out loud! Thank you!
Hypno Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-16, 06:26 PM   #4
Siu Blue Wind
I don't think so
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 11,403
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
We've discussed this last year and there is simply not enough interest. Since November of 2015 we've had five posts in the fatbike sticky thread. It just doesn't seem to hold enough interest to warrant a full subforum for it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-16, 07:14 AM   #5
Hypno Toad
meh
Thread Starter
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: 15 Surly Pugsley; 09 Kona Dew Drop, 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily: 96 Mondonico
Posts: 2,904
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
We've discussed this last year and there is simply not enough interest. Since November of 2015 we've had five posts in the fatbike sticky thread. It just doesn't seem to hold enough interest to warrant a full subforum for it.
Interesting point, however I would say most people are posting on the subject of fat bikes outside the sticky. This is a far from complete search of threads on the subject of fatbikes:

Impressions of Fat Bike

To Fat Bike or Not To Fat Bike.

Need recommendations for my first fat bike

Touring With A Fat Bike-Impressions

Benefits to Tubeless tires on Fat Bike to Tubed

Fatbike options

Tire Pressures on your fat bike

Fat tire bikes.. any good?

The Ultimate winter machine? Surly 1 x 1 or new fatbike?

27.5+ vs Fat bike

Fat Bike or 29er MTB for (Michigan) Winter Cycling?

A couple threads I started:

Studded tires for fat bikes

Do you use a fatbike to commute?

In my opinion, the fatbike is more diverse than simply a "mountain bike" and many people don't got to the Mountain Biking forum to find it. If anything the sticky should be on Winter Cycling. We have a Beach Cruiser forum and BMX forum, I think you'd be surprised to see how many post you'd get if fatbikes had their own forum.
Hypno Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-16, 07:23 AM   #6
jimc101
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Bikes:
Posts: 5,065
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
At the end of it, Fat Bikes are just a type of MTB, if you wanted to give them there own forum, you would need to give 26'er, 69er's 29'er, 27.5/650B, 29er+, 27.5+, Singlespeed, Enduro, Freeride, DH & XC individual forums, and I'm sure I have missed out many others.

Not really seeing any reason to create another forum, all the people I know who have fat bikes also have MTB's, and probably one or two of the others listed above. Not sure that there are enough users on BF to justify it eiter, the MTB side seems small here, and post are few compared to say MTBR, where there are lots and lots of sub forums.
jimc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-16, 08:01 AM   #7
Hypno Toad
meh
Thread Starter
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: 15 Surly Pugsley; 09 Kona Dew Drop, 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily: 96 Mondonico
Posts: 2,904
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimc101 View Post
At the end of it, Fat Bikes are just a type of MTB, if you wanted to give them there own forum, you would need to give 26'er, 69er's 29'er, 27.5/650B, 29er+, 27.5+, Singlespeed, Enduro, Freeride, DH & XC individual forums, and I'm sure I have missed out many others.

Not really seeing any reason to create another forum, all the people I know who have fat bikes also have MTB's, and probably one or two of the others listed above. Not sure that there are enough users on BF to justify it eiter, the MTB side seems small here, and post are few compared to say MTBR, where there are lots and lots of sub forums.
The fatbike is more than a simple variation on the MTB. Every other variation of MTB is typically a bike for mountain biking; therefore, fit with the larger Mountain Biking forum. However, the fatbike is more diverse because of the low contact pressure allowing for sand riding, snow riding, and other soft surfaces that all other typical 2" MTB tires sink into. Yes, fatbikes are used for mountain biking, but that's a very narrow view of the fatbike. Are you going to use a freeride bike for snow riding? Full-suspension for beach riding? DH bike for commuting? Nope, but the fatbike is commonly used for all of the these types of riding; and Beach Cruises have a forum, Winter Cycling has a forum, Commuting has a forum. It make sense to me to create a fatbike forum. However, it appears I have no support and I will end this effort.

BTW - SS has it's own forum
Hypno Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-16, 08:22 AM   #8
intransit1217
Senior Member
 
intransit1217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Kenosha , Wi
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sectuer sport, 2013 Trek 8.4 DS, 2015 Framed Minnesota 2.0, '90s Specialized hardrock rigid
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I don't know what it takes to add a forum, so I can see both sides of this. But being a minor fatbiker, and seeing the title list Hypnotoad came up with, makes me lean in his direction.

I've added a rear rack to my fb, and The future holds two new sets of tires, slicks and studdeds, So I have more options.

And I pop into the fatbike room from time to time to see what's up. fwiw.
intransit1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-16, 09:16 AM   #9
NYMXer
Senior Member
 
NYMXer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Middletown NY
Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Mercier Galaxy AL and Giant Anthem X. Old bikes, Motobecane Fantom Pro DS
Posts: 1,459
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
One of the threads Hypno Toad referenced was started by me. I put it in the regular mtb forums because (as a newbie), I didn't know that there was a better place to post other than MTB's. Maybe it would be fair to create a fat bike sub forum, or a specialty sub forum for fat tire bikes?

Having a sub forum would save members time by not needing to search other forums and will also generate more topics since "if you build it, they will come". I'm sur many members do not post because there really isn't a place other than the mountain bike forums in general.
NYMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-16, 10:03 AM   #10
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Bikes:
Posts: 10,243
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
Nope, but the fatbike is commonly used for all of the these types of riding; and Beach Cruises have a forum, Winter Cycling has a forum, Commuting has a forum. It make sense to me to create a fatbike forum.
And you can use a lot of types of bikes for each of those types of riding. If I had a question about winter cycling (on any type of bike including a fatbike), I'd just post it in that particular forum. Same with commuting. But that's just me. I get where you are coming from after gravelbiking got it's own forum, but, for the most part, the forums tend to be use-specific rather than bike type-specific (with the exception of hybrids and SS/FG-but that seems more a lifestyle than a type of bike for many people), and I think that if you have uses and types of bikes as all separate forums, things will get spread out too much and the audience and participation in any one given thread will drop as it's harder to find (in part, because we all know the search function on this isn't the greatest).
himespau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-16, 10:03 AM   #11
jimc101
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Bikes:
Posts: 5,065
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
BTW - SS has it's own forum
SS MTB doesn't, which was my point, with MTB's there are so many niche variations, that i you had a forum on BF for all, there would be too many to manage.
jimc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-16, 10:14 AM   #12
Hypno Toad
meh
Thread Starter
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: 15 Surly Pugsley; 09 Kona Dew Drop, 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily: 96 Mondonico
Posts: 2,904
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimc101 View Post
SS MTB doesn't, which was my point, with MTB's there are so many niche variations, that i you had a forum on BF for all, there would be too many to manage.
Like himespau just posted "Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking" has it's own forum, and yet it's really just "mountain biking" on a "road bike". There is a lot of crossover areas in the forums. The only con argument I'm hearing is "slippery slope".... meh. Weak argument, but whatever.

You don't like that fatbikes are different from all other mountain bikes, fine, I won't change your mind. I have a different perspective.
Hypno Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-16, 02:21 PM   #13
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,867
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Quick history lesson- the last time a sticky turned into its own forum was 2013 and that was for Beach Cruisers. That sticky was WAY more active for a lot longer than the Fatbike sticky in MTB has done since its inception- which was in response to a couple of people seeking the creation of a Fatbike forum (see the OP of that thread if you don't believe me).
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-16, 07:02 PM   #14
Hypno Toad
meh
Thread Starter
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: 15 Surly Pugsley; 09 Kona Dew Drop, 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily: 96 Mondonico
Posts: 2,904
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
Quick history lesson- the last time a sticky turned into its own forum was 2013 and that was for Beach Cruisers. That sticky was WAY more active for a lot longer than the Fatbike sticky in MTB has done since its inception- which was in response to a couple of people seeking the creation of a Fatbike forum (see the OP of that thread if you don't believe me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
It make sense to me to create a fatbike forum. However, it appears I have no support and I will end this effort.
Translation -
Hypno Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-17, 06:46 PM   #15
swen0171
Senior Member
 
swen0171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone XO-3, 1981 Trek 613, 1988 Fisher Montare, 1986 Univega Alpina Uno, 2010 Surly Long Haul trucker, 2004 Rivendell Quickbeam. 1970s Gitane Mixtie (60cm), 1994 Diamond Back Axis TT
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I am a long time member of the C&V forums (and commuter) but I've been riding a fat bike lately. I was really surprised to find that there wasn't a fat bike forum on BF yet. If there is a Fixed Gear Freestylin' forum I think one for fat bikes would be ok. I have a lot of questions and it's weird after 10+ years of going to BF for answers to not have this resource now that I'm riding a new type of bike.

I'm assuming that there is another forum out there?
swen0171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 07:39 AM   #16
Hypno Toad
meh
Thread Starter
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: 15 Surly Pugsley; 09 Kona Dew Drop, 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily: 96 Mondonico
Posts: 2,904
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swen0171 View Post
I am a long time member of the C&V forums (and commuter) but I've been riding a fat bike lately. I was really surprised to find that there wasn't a fat bike forum on BF yet. If there is a Fixed Gear Freestylin' forum I think one for fat bikes would be ok. I have a lot of questions and it's weird after 10+ years of going to BF for answers to not have this resource now that I'm riding a new type of bike.

I'm assuming that there is another forum out there?
Before moving to a home-office, I used my fatbike for commuting, and not just on the snowy days. It's fun to use the fatbike on a summers day too!

We need to be careful, we don't want to upset the BF curmudgeon (read 'haters'). I was blown away by the number of negative posts when I made this suggestion nearly 2 years ago. To your point, BF has "Beach Cruisers" and "Fixies & SS" forums, but "Fatbikes" .... NO WAY, that's asking way too much.

This is my go-to web site for fatbike info: https://fat-bike.com/ Also, if you do Facebook, this is a good group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/thefatbikes/
Hypno Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 10:56 AM   #17
swen0171
Senior Member
 
swen0171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone XO-3, 1981 Trek 613, 1988 Fisher Montare, 1986 Univega Alpina Uno, 2010 Surly Long Haul trucker, 2004 Rivendell Quickbeam. 1970s Gitane Mixtie (60cm), 1994 Diamond Back Axis TT
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
Before moving to a home-office, I used my fatbike for commuting, and not just on the snowy days. It's fun to use the fatbike on a summers day too!

We need to be careful, we don't want to upset the BF curmudgeon (read 'haters'). I was blown away by the number of negative posts when I made this suggestion nearly 2 years ago. To your point, BF has "Beach Cruisers" and "Fixies & SS" forums, but "Fatbikes" .... NO WAY, that's asking way too much.

This is my go-to web site for fatbike info: https://fat-bike.com/ Also, if you do Facebook, this is a good group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/thefatbikes/
Thanks Hypno! I've already been to the local single track a couple limes, love it! I'll check out that site. Seems weird to me that BF is resistant here.
swen0171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:52 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION