Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-07, 06:27 PM   #1
Elyone
ETPHONEHOME
Thread Starter
 
Elyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cleveland
Bikes: Diamondback Outlook low end. but I love it.
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blinking ads

It is becoming extraordinarily difficult to concentrate on anything, because of all the blinking ads.

I know of course the site receives precious revenue from the the advertisers, that goes without saying, however I am getting a headache every time I log in.

This is such an issue for me that is it affecting my decision to come in to the site, or not.

Solutions:

1 . No blinking ads.
2 . Enable ad free site for a nominal fee. I would be willing to pay $5-10 / year for this privilege.
Elyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 07:34 PM   #2
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.bikeforums.net/payments.php

$25 for a 30 year membership How's that?

Just go to the link above. No Ads and access to post in the marketplace as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyone View Post
It is becoming extraordinarily difficult to concentrate on anything, because of all the blinking ads.

I know of course the site receives precious revenue from the the advertisers, that goes without saying, however I am getting a headache every time I log in.

This is such an issue for me that is it affecting my decision to come in to the site, or not.

Solutions:

1 . No blinking ads.
2 . Enable ad free site for a nominal fee. I would be willing to pay $5-10 / year for this privilege.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 08:09 PM   #3
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyone View Post
It is becoming extraordinarily difficult to concentrate on anything, because of all the blinking ads.

I know of course the site receives precious revenue from the the advertisers, that goes without saying, however I am getting a headache every time I log in.

This is such an issue for me that is it affecting my decision to come in to the site, or not.

Solutions:

1 . No blinking ads.
2 . Enable ad free site for a nominal fee. I would be willing to pay $5-10 / year for this privilege.
Pay your money and get your red star and stop complaining.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 08:17 PM   #4
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or you can go to firefox and disable ads.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 09:12 PM   #5
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyone View Post
I would be willing to pay $5-10 / year for this privilege.
I'd go with Tom Stormcrowe's suggestion and get the exceptionally good value package at $25 for 30 years... .

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 09:50 PM   #6
rm -rf
don't try this at home.
 
rm -rf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: N. KY
Bikes:
Posts: 3,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Wow. I just logged off to see the ads. I never would have started reading bikeforums with all those blinking at me. These are just aggravating the reader. I could install an ad blocker, but I never have. I don't mind ads, just don't blink at me. I never visit pezcyclingnews.com for just this reason.

In firefox or IE, you can hit Escape to stop the blinking on the current page. At one time, I had firefox set to just repeat the animation once and stop. Here's the instructions

It doesn't apply to these .gif ads, but I do have flashblock installed. It's great, any flash has a plain box with a click button to start it. It can whitelist a website that runs on flash, too.
rm -rf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 02:50 PM   #7
Elyone
ETPHONEHOME
Thread Starter
 
Elyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cleveland
Bikes: Diamondback Outlook low end. but I love it.
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lol I can't believe I did not realize there was a 30 year subscription.
or that esc stops blinking. <- worse
Elyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 02:59 PM   #8
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyone View Post
lol I can't believe I did not realize there was a 30 year subscription.
or that esc stops blinking. <- worse
esc stops the blinking, but the subscription gets rid of the ads. Yes, I know you can block them if you want, but the $25 gives you a nice red star .

And honestly, we don't want to run you off because of the ads, that would be bad...

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 11:22 PM   #9
donnamb 
tired
 
donnamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
Posts: 5,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The red star also allows you to sell stuff in the For Sale forum.
__________________
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
donnamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 11:39 PM   #10
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some day, donating members will have the option to turn the ads on and off at will.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 12:03 AM   #11
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Some day, donating members will have the option to turn the ads on and off at will.

Is that really in the works? That would be cool!

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 09:07 AM   #12
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
Is that really in the works? That would be cool!

East Hill
It's not a priority, but it's been mentioned.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:28 PM.