Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-08, 04:29 PM   #1
garysol1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
garysol1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: K-Zoo Michigan
Bikes:
Posts: 10,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
In Memory

Just an idea here. In memory of Sheldon Brown.....Instead of letting his redstar go to waste how about donating it to a current non redstar member. Maybe look for a younger member who can't afford the $25.00 who has really added to the quality of BF.
__________________
Trek Emonda SLR8 USA Built
Trek Stache 7 Its a hoot!
Specialized AWOL Mile Muncher
Specialized Fatboy Trail Miles of Smiles
Kona Jake The Snake Cross
garysol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 04:58 PM   #2
Miguelangel
Senior Member
 
Miguelangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ositoland
Bikes: Lemond Tourmalet
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
good idea!!!
Miguelangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 09:15 PM   #3
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bear with me. I'm working on tracking down Sheldon's favorite charities.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 09:40 PM   #4
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysol1 View Post
Just an idea here. In memory of Sheldon Brown.....Instead of letting his redstar go to waste how about donating it to a current non redstar member. Maybe look for a younger member who can't afford the $25.00 who has really added to the quality of BF.
Or, perhaps "adopt a member in memory of Captain Brown". I think I will do that, if possible.

Perhaps now he can get a gold star...

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 02:21 AM   #5
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 15,211
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
I would suggest it be a custodian for Sheldon's red star, not an adopt-a-member or just a current non-red-star member. I think it should reside in the Bicycle Mechanics forum where Sheldon was most active and made, overall, the most significant contribution to cycling.

And I would suggest for consideration members such as Retro Grouch (who also freeranges over to Classic), Hillrider and several others who, in my humblest of all opinions, make excellent contributions in the spirit of Sheldon Brown.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 02:22 AM   #6
red house
Banned.
 
red house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
Bikes: Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
Posts: 5,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
Or, perhaps "adopt a member in memory of Captain Brown". I think I will do that, if possible.

Perhaps now he can get a gold star...

East Hill


^^ That seems like a good idea. BF members who contributed and were well respected should be entitled to a post humous 'gold star' -- and Sheldon Brown should be it's first recipient. imo.
red house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 02:24 AM   #7
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 15,211
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
^^ Actually, sydney first, then Sheldon.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 06:09 AM   #8
garysol1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
garysol1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: K-Zoo Michigan
Bikes:
Posts: 10,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am embarrassed to say I have never heard of a "gold" star. What is it?
__________________
Trek Emonda SLR8 USA Built
Trek Stache 7 Its a hoot!
Specialized AWOL Mile Muncher
Specialized Fatboy Trail Miles of Smiles
Kona Jake The Snake Cross
garysol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 06:48 AM   #9
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We don't have a Gold Star......some of the members just want to honor Sheldon, garysol. It's not a bad idea either.........
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 06:54 AM   #10
garysol1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
garysol1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: K-Zoo Michigan
Bikes:
Posts: 10,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
We don't have a Gold Star......some of the members just want to honor Sheldon, garysol. It's not a bad idea either.........
Not a bad idea at all!!!!!!!!
__________________
Trek Emonda SLR8 USA Built
Trek Stache 7 Its a hoot!
Specialized AWOL Mile Muncher
Specialized Fatboy Trail Miles of Smiles
Kona Jake The Snake Cross
garysol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 09:27 PM   #11
garysol1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
garysol1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: K-Zoo Michigan
Bikes:
Posts: 10,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Any updates?
__________________
Trek Emonda SLR8 USA Built
Trek Stache 7 Its a hoot!
Specialized AWOL Mile Muncher
Specialized Fatboy Trail Miles of Smiles
Kona Jake The Snake Cross
garysol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 07:00 PM   #12
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Posts: 26,912
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
I would suggest it be a custodian for Sheldon's red star, not an adopt-a-member or just a current non-red-star member. I think it should reside in the Bicycle Mechanics forum where Sheldon was most active and made, overall, the most significant contribution to cycling.

And I would suggest for consideration members such as Retro Grouch (who also freeranges over to Classic), Hillrider and several others who, in my humblest of all opinions, make excellent contributions in the spirit of Sheldon Brown.
As flattering as this suggestion sounds, I can't do it. Just doesn't seem right to me.

While it's an objective of mine to make contributions in the spirit of Sheldon Brown, I don't feel like I pack the horsepower to do it. I don't have his depth of knowledge and I doubt I've been as consistantly respectful to people who hold opinions that differ from mine..

There will never be another Sheldon. We should be grateful for the opportunity we have had to experience his knowledge and wit this closely. Without the miracle of computers and the internet I couldn't have gotten to know the type of person he was. It was a wonderful thing.

Unfortunately, now Sheldon's gone. He can't be replaced.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 09:02 PM   #13
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
As flattering as this suggestion sounds, I can't do it. Just doesn't seem right to me.

While it's an objective of mine to make contributions in the spirit of Sheldon Brown, I don't feel like I pack the horsepower to do it. I don't have his depth of knowledge and I doubt I've been as consistantly respectful to people who hold opinions that differ from mine..

There will never be another Sheldon. We should be grateful for the opportunity we have had to experience his knowledge and wit this closely. Without the miracle of computers and the internet I couldn't have gotten to know the type of person he was. It was a wonderful thing.

Unfortunately, now Sheldon's gone. He can't be replaced.
That doesn't mean we could not contribute a star to you in his memory, is this not true?

Sheldon's memory will live through the small kindnesses we show to each other.

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 09:18 PM   #14
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
That doesn't mean we could not contribute a star to you in his memory, is this not true?

Sheldon's memory will live through the small kindnesses we show to each other.

East Hill
That's a nice gesture, but a bit off track. I need to find out what charity Sheldon would have wanted us to support. Then I will see if maybe I can give stars to members that donate to the charity. I've got a couple of other ideas that I'll need to work out the details for, but first I need to know which charity.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 09:24 PM   #15
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
That's a nice gesture, but a bit off track. I need to find out what charity Sheldon would have wanted us to support. Then I will see if maybe I can give stars to members that donate to the charity. I've got a couple of other ideas that I'll need to work out the details for, but first I need to know which charity.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Yes, I agree it would be good to support charities which Sheldon also supported.

What kind of assistance were you looking for?

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 09:26 PM   #16
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
Yes, I agree it would be good to support charities which Sheldon also supported.

What kind of assistance were you looking for?

East Hill
I haven't found anything online, and haven't heard back from anyone at Harris yet. I need to know which charity. A quick pat on the back to anyone that knows.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 09:43 PM   #17
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would think that contributions to the MS Society would not go amiss, and would certainly be relevant, but you are correct, I can't find anything online offhand.

I'll keep looking.

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 02:32 AM   #18
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 15,211
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
One suspects Sheldon's charitable interests were not medically related, but rather in the arts. He also was NOT a fan at all of bike-a-thons to the point of saying they were bad for cycling's image. I doubt he would, in all honesty, be terribly impressed by people involving themselves in MS rides just because he had the ailment.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 05:14 AM   #19
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Posts: 26,912
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
That doesn't mean we could not contribute a star to you in his memory, is this not true?

Sheldon's memory will live through the small kindnesses we show to each other.

East Hill
While I feel really, really honored that a couple of folks have thought of my name regarding some kind of memorial for Sheldon, I don't want to wear Sheldon's star.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 08:17 AM   #20
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
One suspects Sheldon's charitable interests were not medically related, but rather in the arts. He also was NOT a fan at all of bike-a-thons to the point of saying they were bad for cycling's image. I doubt he would, in all honesty, be terribly impressed by people involving themselves in MS rides just because he had the ailment.
I did not know he was not a fan of bike-a-thons, but I most certainly did get the idea that he truly loved the arts.

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 08:17 AM   #21
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
While I feel really, really honored that a couple of folks have thought of my name regarding some kind of memorial for Sheldon, I don't want to wear Sheldon's star.

All right, RG, no star for you then .

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 08:27 AM   #22
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What about donations to other cycling related charities, such as Dave Zabriskie's fledgling YieldToLife.org (already working for change in Utah, Brian ) or any of the countless local advocacy groups that may impact a user's local area (e.g. in my area there is the Chicagoland Bike Federation or the League of Illinois Bicyclists).

Not trying to open a can of worms here, but there are tons of worthy groups out there to support that might be worthy of recognition. Maybe a roll-call in a separate sub-forum, if users wanted to be recognized for their support?
CyLowe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 08:28 AM   #23
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
I did not know he was not a fan of bike-a-thons, but I most certainly did get the idea that he truly loved the arts.

East Hill
I couldn't find anything that confirmed he had MS, only mysterious MS-like symptoms. I may just contact a few charities over the coming days, and see if they can get something going. I recently blogged about the charity that gives away thousands of bikes to needy kids each year. A donation to them in Sheldon's name can't be a bad idea.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 08:32 AM   #24
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyLowe97 View Post
What about donations to other cycling related charities, such as Dave Zabriskie's fledgling YieldToLife.org (already working for change in Utah, Brian ) or any of the countless local advocacy groups that may impact a user's local area (e.g. in my area there is the Chicagoland Bike Federation or the League of Illinois Bicyclists).

Not trying to open a can of worms here, but there are tons of worthy groups out there to support that might be worthy of recognition. Maybe a roll-call in a separate sub-forum, if users wanted to be recognized for their support?
Zabriskie's is a good one, and I'm on good terms with their PR firm, which also handles Interbike. Coincidentally, I'm putting together a list of charities for another site I work for, so I've got a stack of contacts. There are only so many hours in a day though.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 08:33 AM   #25
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I couldn't find anything that confirmed he had MS, only mysterious MS-like symptoms. I may just contact a few charities over the coming days, and see if they can get something going. I recently blogged about the charity that gives away thousands of bikes to needy kids each year. A donation to them in Sheldon's name can't be a bad idea.
I agree, and I will do a write up about Sheldon Brown on my blog later today. I will include the name of the charity, and link to your blog as well if that's all right with you. It's been a bittersweet week for me with cycling...

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:09 AM.