Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    FBoD Member at Large khatfull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Woodbury, MN
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    What the hell is it with all the thread resurrection lately?

    Mods, can you turn off posting to threads over, say a year old?

  2. #2
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've asked for that many times... it's never gonna happen...

  3. #3
    location:northern Ohio
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right on!

    By the way,
    Could you recommend a comfortable saddle for me?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  4. #4
    FBoD Member at Large khatfull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Woodbury, MN
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umd View Post
    I've asked for that many times... it's never gonna happen...
    Ah, oh well, was worth a shot I guess...

  5. #5
    Spit out the back tinrobot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Silverlake, CA
    Posts
    1,023
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to wait a year, then post again to this thread. Just watch.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Atol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    My Bikes
    CAAD9-6
    Posts
    635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a level 80 priest after all. Don't act like you're not impressed.

  7. #7
    FBoD Member at Large khatfull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Woodbury, MN
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tinrobot View Post
    I'm going to wait a year, then post again to this thread. Just watch.
    Classic! I just set a reminder in Outlook to do the same on 9/12/2010! Even included the URL to make finding it easier.

  8. #8
    Surf Bum
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pacifica, CA
    My Bikes
    Vintage Trek, Vintage Diamond Back Mountain Bike, Bianchi Axis CrossBike
    Posts
    2,011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we keep telling people to use the search engine instead of starting new threads. So when they do find a thread by searching, and it doesn't answer exactly what they want to know, or they just want to add their 2 cents....it's resurrection time, baby.

  9. #9
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    37,759
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pacificaslim View Post
    Well, we keep telling people to use the search engine instead of starting new threads. So when they do find a thread by searching, and it doesn't answer exactly what they want to know, or they just want to add their 2 cents....it's resurrection time, baby.
    +1

    Absolutely nothing wrong with resurrecting old threads ... they're often much more interesting than the new ones!!

  10. #10
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    +1

    Absolutely nothing wrong with resurrecting old threads ... they're often much more interesting than the new ones!!
    Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's stupid.

  11. #11
    Fear no hill
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umd View Post
    Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's stupid.
    Which covers just about any thread posted old or new.

  12. #12
    #5639 robertkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spry View Post
    right on!

    By the way,
    Could you recommend a comfortable saddle for me?

  13. #13
    Portland Fred banerjek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
    Posts
    10,390
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umd View Post
    Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's stupid.
    The fine to stupid ratio is probably 1 to 10 -- very competitive with the new threads...

  14. #14
    Senior Member garysol1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Avon , Ohio
    Posts
    9,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khatfull View Post
    Mods, can you turn off posting to threads over, say a year old?


    Not in my bag of "tools". Not a bad idea though if there was a way to make threads over one year old read only. One big downside I see would be the number of members questioning why they can't post to a certain thread not realizing the thread is that old or just not knowing that we had a one year rule in place.
    With that said......moving this thread to where it belongs.......Forum Suggestions & User Assistance

  15. #15
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,397
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garysol1 View Post
    Not in my bag of "tools". Not a bad idea though if there was a way to make threads over one year old read only. One big downside I see would be the number of members questioning why they can't post to a certain thread not realizing the thread is that old or just not knowing that we had a one year rule in place.
    With that said......moving this thread to where it belongs.......Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
    Maybe a better idea would be to set up a tool where BFer's who suffer from this "problem" could activate a feature that would prevent any thread with content over a year old from sullying their screen and upsetting their equilibrium.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    upper devonian
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search query- " What the hell is it with all the thread resurrection lately?"

    Result- This Thread.

  17. #17
    Portland Fred banerjek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid
    Posts
    10,390
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what the issue is with old threads or why every recurring issue should be posted on a new one.

    Granted, waking up old ones is sometimes a way of screwing around, but if people respond to an old thread, it indicates that the issue hasn't really changed (i.e. the thread is still relevant) or possibly that there is more to add to it.

    For example, in the first 6 hours after it was resurrected, the tire replacing thread at When do you replace your tires?? generated more more than triple the number of serious replies than the original thread did. Obviously, the issue is interesting to a number of members.

    In any case, what's the harm in waking these things up? It's not like it happens very often, causes problems, or that all the new threads are so relevant anyway. Perhaps the instructions for the site should indicate that people should ignore threads they find uninteresting.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Homebrew01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ffld Cnty Connecticut
    My Bikes
    Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
    Posts
    15,109
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banerjek View Post
    Not sure what the issue is with old threads or why every recurring issue should be posted on a new one.

    Granted, waking up old ones is sometimes a way of screwing around, but if people respond to an old thread, it indicates that the issue hasn't really changed (i.e. the thread is still relevant) or possibly that there is more to add to it.

    For example, in the first 6 hours after it was resurrected, the tire replacing thread at When do you replace your tires?? generated more more than triple the number of serious replies than the original thread did. Obviously, the issue is interesting to a number of members.

    In any case, what's the harm in waking these things up? It's not like it happens very often, causes problems, or that all the new threads are so relevant anyway. Perhaps the instructions for the site should indicate that people should ignore threads they find uninteresting.
    You're the main culprit recently, so maybe you can explain the purpose. Is the OP even still a member ? Does the OP still have the question ? Let them repost if they care.

    Old threads get replies because we don't all notice how old they are and think there's a current OP with a question .... waste of time as far as I'm concerned.
    Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike

  19. #19
    ..... Jynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    My Bikes
    2006 Cannondale CAAD8
    Posts
    4,836
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP is not the only person who benefits from a new thread. Many people read them and learn from them. I personally have no problem with old threads coming back. A lot of times it is done because something was mentioned in the thread and never fully cleared up. It makes sense to continue the discussion from there instead of a new thread.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Homebrew01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ffld Cnty Connecticut
    My Bikes
    Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
    Posts
    15,109
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garysol1 View Post
    Not in my bag of "tools". Not a bad idea though if there was a way to make threads over one year old read only. One big downside I see would be the number of members questioning why they can't post to a certain thread not realizing the thread is that old or just not knowing that we had a one year rule in place.
    With that said......moving this thread to where it belongs.......Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
    Perhaps there'd be an option to request opening an old thread when applicable .
    Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike

  21. #21
    Old School Track Guy MGtrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Frisco, Texas
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khatfull View Post
    Mods, can you turn off posting to threads over, say a year old?

    This same topic has been covered many times before. Use the Search function before posting things like this.
    "You've got to be willing to rip it all apart. Including yourself."
    ---Steve Woznik -- Multi time USA Sprint and Kilo Champion, Pan Am Games Gold Medalist


  22. #22
    Headset-press carrier logdrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Corrales New Mexico
    My Bikes
    Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy
    Posts
    2,130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MGtrack View Post
    This same topic has been covered many times before. Use the Search function before posting things like this.
    And comment on the old posts you searched and irritate So Cal folks and you make this suggestion again. It's a vicious cycle. vi-cycle??
    If you must, then you should Laying off BF for a while. Forum posting does nothing to enjoyment or improvement on the bike
    Quote Originally Posted by botto View Post
    ride more, buy less.

  23. #23
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,007
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post
    You're the main culprit recently, so maybe you can explain the purpose. Is the OP even still a member ? Does the OP still have the question ? Let them repost if they care.

    Old threads get replies because we don't all notice how old they are and think there's a current OP with a question .... waste of time as far as I'm concerned.
    I disagree with that premise. It's like asking a question in a lecture......your question may be running through 25 other peoples mind at the same time, and they are afraid to ask for some reason. The occasional thread ressurection is a good thing also, because it also supplies all those older answers again. It does no harm, and doesn't negatively affect page views, so no foul.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's wrong with posting to old threads, and why is it worse than starting a new thread on a topic already covered?

  25. #25
    Stand and Deliver FLvector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL
    Posts
    1,307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a resurrected thread dies from lack of intersted it will quickly fall off the first page quickly, then go back into the archives. I've read some good information that I probably wouldn't have stumbled upon otherwise if it wasn't resurrected.

    What's funny is when some (including me) reply to previous posts over 2 yrs ago in a resurrected thread, when only a few new comments have been made. The only thing to suggest might be to flag the thread with an icon to indicate that it is over a year old and being brought back to life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •