Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 33 of 33
  1. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just came upon the Bike Forums Android app on Play, and from the screenshots it looks like there are advertisements even though it's a paid app? Am I right or do I need to up my prescription on my glasses?

  2. #27
    Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset. Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,155
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sifrk View Post
    I just came upon the Bike Forums Android app on Play, and from the screenshots it looks like there are advertisements even though it's a paid app? Am I right or do I need to up my prescription on my glasses?
    If you have Titanium membership you won't have the ads. (Or the older Red Star.....no longer offered). The ads exemption only applies to premium memberships.
    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  3. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow!!! Really!?!?!? So I have to pay for membership and buy an app to get rid of the ads? I'm all for supporting sites that bring value to their users but this seems a little dubious. It's not even the money -- $2 is nothing and a membership might be worth its weight in gold if you leverage it properly, but to force users to jump through multiple hoops especially when you're already making advertising revenue is a bit much.

  4. #29
    Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset. Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,155
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sifrk View Post
    Wow!!! Really!?!?!? So I have to pay for membership and buy an app to get rid of the ads? I'm all for supporting sites that bring value to their users but this seems a little dubious. It's not even the money -- $2 is nothing and a membership might be worth its weight in gold if you leverage it properly, but to force users to jump through multiple hoops especially when you're already making advertising revenue is a bit much.
    You aren't being forced to buy the apps, though. The premium membership doesn't actually cover the loss of revenue for the ads, either. It's not a wash, or a profit, by any standard. The ads going away is a convenience for the members who opt for premium levels, and the apps were developed because of a very large number of requests for it.
    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  5. #30
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,081
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    You aren't being forced to buy the apps, though. The premium membership doesn't actually cover the loss of revenue for the ads, either. It's not a wash, or a profit, by any standard. The ads going away is a convenience for the members who opt for premium levels, and the apps were developed because of a very large number of requests for it.
    Requests maybe, but with less than 50 downloads for the Android app it's pretty clear that people aren't going to pay for an app to access a site where they create the content.

    BTW, did you ever get a response regarding the crazy permissions the Android app requests?

  6. #31
    Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset. Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,155
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    Requests maybe, but with less than 50 downloads for the Android app it's pretty clear that people aren't going to pay for an app to access a site where they create the content.

    BTW, did you ever get a response regarding the crazy permissions the Android app requests?

    It's for ease of uploading, and not able to be activated other than by the user.
    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  7. #32
    total Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    2009 Look 566 Ultegra
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    throwing my hat in here, would LOVE to see BF on Tapatalk.
    2009 LOOK 566 Ultegra
    2008 Trek 1.2 wsd triple

  8. #33
    Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset. Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,155
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    We are not going to install tapatalk.
    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •