Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Forum HISTORY

  1. #1
    By-Tor...or the Snow Dog? hi565's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ma
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3
    Posts
    6,483
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Forum HISTORY

    So I want tro know everything about this forum ,when did it start?, who started it (was it you joe?), why was it started?, What was the first post ever, how did it get so HUGE!, and who were the original members. Icant think of any others, but if anyone trhinks of any join the fun.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

  2. #2
    By-Tor...or the Snow Dog? hi565's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ma
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3
    Posts
    6,483
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone! if there is another thread that i dont know about tell me please.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

  3. #3
    Senior Member livestrong91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Glendora, CA
    My Bikes
    04.5 Giant OCR 3 (Sora), 80s Centurion Ironman beater (Shimano 600)
    Posts
    234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it started in 1999.
    "My yellow in this case is not so mellow."
    -Jimi Hendrix

  4. #4
    Gone DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gone to other places
    Posts
    20,676
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A whole bunch of us joined when

    Bicycleforums.com or something like that, which was operated by BicycleBob aka Cycletourist aka (a brand new handle I don't remember) had to close out his forum because he had really bad carpal tunnel syndrome. We came here. I joined August, 2001, but some folks already had dual membership.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

  5. #5
    BikeForums Founder Joe Gardner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Holladay, Utah.
    My Bikes
    Santa Cruz Superlight w/ Roholoff 500 & Bob IBEX
    Posts
    4,257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hi565
    So I want tro know everything about this forum ,when did it start?, who started it (was it you joe?), why was it started?, What was the first post ever, how did it get so HUGE!, and who were the original members. Icant think of any others, but if anyone trhinks of any join the fun.
    I started the site in late '99, because I was sick of all the other bike forums, at the time, the only real places to talk about bikes were the newsgroups, and mtbr.coms un-moderated forum. I thought I could make something better, so I started bikeforums.net

    We had a few big database crashes over the years, so the first post ever is no longer around. I think the tile of that post was "Test"

    I made up 3 of the first 10 memberships, for the first few months, it was rare to have more then one post a day. Now its not uncommon to have more then 2000 posts a day.

    Other then some small google advertising during the tour de france, growth has been from word of mouth, links, and search engine referrals.

  6. #6
    HomeBrew Master! Gus Riley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    West Central Illinois
    My Bikes
    Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.
    Posts
    2,209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    A whole bunch of us joined when

    Bicycleforums.com or something like that...

    That's when I came over.
    2012 TransAm Tour journal link: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Threeisacharm

    Naked Carbon Weave Aegis Aro Svelte, Purpleen Cannondale RT3000 Tandem, Orange Santana Triplet, Surly Long Haul Trucker

    So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides, 4th Century B.C.E.



    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...33f/weight.png

  7. #7
    By-Tor...or the Snow Dog? hi565's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ma
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3
    Posts
    6,483
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gardner
    I started the site in late '99, because I was sick of all the other bike forums, at the time, the only real places to talk about bikes were the newsgroups, and mtbr.coms un-moderated forum. I thought I could make something better, so I started bikeforums.net

    We had a few big database crashes over the years, so the first post ever is no longer around. I think the tile of that post was "Test"

    I made up 3 of the first 10 memberships, for the first few months, it was rare to have more then one post a day. Now its not uncommon to have more then 2000 posts a day.

    Other then some small google advertising during the tour de france, growth has been from word of mouth, links, and search engine referrals.
    Thanks abunch JOE! you have done well.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •