Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Forum Suggestions & User Assistance (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-suggestions-user-assistance/)
-   -   Peculiar login behavior (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-suggestions-user-assistance/893380-peculiar-login-behavior.html)

Rollfast 06-02-13 07:48 PM

Peculiar login behavior
 
My first attempt at a login was marked with an odd result and I abandoned it.

The password entry was not hidden.

I reloaded/F5 and it behaved normally.

Tom Stormcrowe 06-03-13 01:50 AM

That sounds like it may have been on your end. I can't duplicate it.

mccornwall 07-03-13 07:08 AM

This happened to me too just now....username and password were both visible. When I hit login, it said the username and password didn't match. Then second time I logged in normally, however after my login I was marvelling at how for some reason in the last 24 hours NOBODY had posted anything. Oh, wait, it's just BF's usual BS of marking everything read whenever it has a hiccup. So I have no way of easily seeing what's new since my last time in here. Sure wish they'd fix that...has been plaguing me forever now....I just quit complaining about becuase I just always got told it was my fault something I did. Tired of that crap....it's the only site running this software that does it.

Rollfast 07-08-13 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you aren't allowing cookies as you oughta (and make certain that you are allowing the BF ones to meet your cookie monster) you gotta do that.

Unread posts rely on the cookies stored on you computer...if you don't accept them then you have none.

Different versions of vB can be and are configured any way the owner wants, given limitations.

As of a minute ago both What's New and New Post below that returned 41 pages, in my case (been sporadic lately I'm afraid)...

I have XP and use IE8 only so I don't have a clue how all those others or Apple run, never will.

Here's a screen shot to show you...

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=327953

mccornwall 07-17-13 09:23 AM

Same crap. I opened the web page...then I logged in. It thanked me for logging in...when I was shown the forums a moment later they showed as all caught up...no new posts present...since yesterday. Sort of unlikely. I can't keep having to look at the dates of the last post and trying to figure out what time I was there the day before. Adn I shouldn;t have to. This is the only forum I visit running this software that exhibits this bug.

Tom Stormcrowe 07-18-13 05:38 AM

I'm not ignoring your issue, I'm still trying to replicate this problem and can't. I'll let you know if I find a browser setting that's causing it. Are you accepting cookies, etc? If not, that's a big part of the issue

Are you running blocker software? If so, that is very likely the culprit, there.

mccornwall 07-18-13 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe (Post 15862986)
I'm not ignoring your issue, I'm still trying to replicate this problem and can't. I'll let you know if I find a browser setting that's causing it. Are you accepting cookies, etc? If not, that's a big part of the issue

Are you running blocker software? If so, that is very likely the culprit, there.

Work computer on break usually...I don't know how they have it configured. I'd think cookies OK since I come here and am often still logged in from last time. Can't see how it can know who I am without cookies.

Tom Stormcrowe 07-18-13 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mccornwall (Post 15864450)
Work computer on break usually...I don't know how they have it configured. I'd think cookies OK since I come here and am often still logged in from last time. Can't see how it can know who I am without cookies.


If it's a work computer, it may well be a security setting there that's blocking certain aspects of our tracking software, and if that's the case, there's nothing I can do from our end. I'll continue to try to replicate the issue, though. You might ask your IT folks if there are any additional security blocks, but be advised that if that's the case, you could wind up totally blocked by your employer rather than partially, through aberrant behavior of the site due to partial function block.

mccornwall 10-16-13 06:48 AM

Same ol' sh**. Got to the site this AM, wasn't logged in. I logged in and found no unread messages....a patent impossibility. I guess if I want to be a bikeforums member I just have to resign myself to the fact that I may sometimes miss interesting threads becasue BF just won't show them to me. Sad.

Rollfast 10-21-13 03:07 AM

I'm subscribed to a jillion threads because I'm too lazy to go in and edit the subscriptions more often but then again my weekly updates come in every Monday AM for whatever still had new posts. It really sounds like you should get email updates DAILY, or at least turn them on. That makes up for some of that shortcoming you perceive right there. I don't follow everything all the time anyway, I let it drop or unsubscribe when I've read enough or come back now and then.

The directories aren't all that hard to use and saving the link to an interesting thread isn't probably that hard.

By the way, you haven't told us what BROWSER you use. They aren't all the same, each has it's particular quirks now and then and it's entirely possible your boss is trying to tell you something via your desktop. How did this evolve from an errant password routine into the entire site vs. your computer? :crash:;)

Did you solve the problem? It has been five days since you last posted, and you don't post a lot.

mccornwall 10-21-13 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollfast (Post 16177523)
I'm subscribed to a jillion threads because I'm too lazy to go in and edit the subscriptions more often but then again my weekly updates come in every Monday AM for whatever still had new posts. It really sounds like you should get email updates DAILY, or at least turn them on. That makes up for some of that shortcoming you perceive right there. I don't follow everything all the time anyway, I let it drop or unsubscribe when I've read enough or come back now and then.

The directories aren't all that hard to use and saving the link to an interesting thread isn't probably that hard.

By the way, you haven't told us what BROWSER you use. They aren't all the same, each has it's particular quirks now and then and it's entirely possible your boss is trying to tell you something via your desktop. How did this evolve from an errant password routine into the entire site vs. your computer? :crash:;)

Did you solve the problem? It has been five days since you last posted, and you don't post a lot.

IE8...work computer so I have no control over that. Interesting that other sites I visit running the same forum software never do this. if the forum software can keep track of what's read and what's not sometimes it should be able to do it all the time. Other forums do.

mccornwall 10-30-13 06:22 AM

And again.

mccornwall 09-03-14 07:18 AM

MF'ing forum made me login and everything was marked as read right from the start again even though I haven't read s**t since yesterday. Craptastic forum software...oh wait, other websites running the same software don't do this bead behavior.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:44 AM.