Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-14, 06:12 AM   #1
lectraplayer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Bikes: Kent Gran Concor 10 speed, Western Flyer 10 speed, JC Higgins (Sears) cruiser
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it me or are the mods causing riots?

I've seen it several times, and one example is below, but I'm seeing threads on a semi-regular basis that start as an intelligent discussion of the topic at hand, and then a moderator sees some type of post he must sensor, which seems to result in a majority of the board seeing this moderation as malicious. This tends to result in a riot.

http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...es-pedals.html

How can we have an intelligent discussion about bicyclss without havinc so many threads meat this same fate? Some regulation is certainly good but over-regulation is always a disaster. I see signs of over-regulation from where I stand. We must do something different before bicycles become contraband here.
lectraplayer is offline  
Old 04-25-14, 06:53 AM   #2
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Posts: 29,642
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
No mod posted in the thread....
__________________
[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is offline  
Old 04-25-14, 08:25 AM   #3
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The thread you linked was about the pros and cons of clipless pedals. The topic had veered off into a discussion about guns, which have nothing to do with bicycles, so those posts were deleted so that the intelligent discussion about bicycles could continue.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline  
Old 04-25-14, 11:05 AM   #4
lectraplayer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Bikes: Kent Gran Concor 10 speed, Western Flyer 10 speed, JC Higgins (Sears) cruiser
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Problem is that there was no discussion about guns except to make a comparason to the pedals. Has this thread actually been read? The topic stayed on pedals until a moderator "performed cleanup" according to his own words. After he did that, the discussion just went to the slammer. Please read it again!
lectraplayer is offline  
Old 04-25-14, 11:32 AM   #5
Dave Cutter
Senior Member
 
Dave Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: D'uh... I am a Cutter
Bikes: '14 Trek 1.1, '10 Fuji Finest 3.0, '98 Cannondale R500, '88 Trek 360
Posts: 5,012
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
..... The topic had veered off into a discussion about guns,....... so those posts were deleted so that the intelligent discussion about bicycles could continue.
Your editing looks well done and effective IMHO. Although I am not sure it makes much difference. Many topics veer in the direction of beer and other non-cycling topics. Threads and normal conversations tend to drift.
Dave Cutter is offline  
Old 04-25-14, 01:59 PM   #6
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectraplayer View Post
Problem is that there was no discussion about guns except to make a comparason to the pedals. Has this thread actually been read? The topic stayed on pedals until a moderator "performed cleanup" according to his own words. After he did that, the discussion just went to the slammer. Please read it again!
The posts discussing guns were deleted, which is why you don't see them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline  
Old 04-25-14, 02:01 PM   #7
raqball
Senior Member
 
raqball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Man o man do I feel for you moderators...

Keep up the good work!

To the OP... They caused a riot? Seriously? A riot? Do you know what a riot is?

Anywho...... I appreciate all the garbage getting removed from threads and I for one won't start a riot over it..
raqball is offline  
Old 04-25-14, 02:01 PM   #8
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
Your editing looks well done and effective IMHO. Although I am not sure it makes much difference. Many topics veer in the direction of beer and other non-cycling topics. Threads and normal conversations tend to drift.
Fortunately, beer is not as controversial a subject as guns.

We are not trying to prevent gun discussion, it just needs to be done in the Politics & Religion forum because of the nature of the subject.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline  
Old 04-25-14, 02:08 PM   #9
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
Fortunately, beer is not as controversial a subject as guns.

We are not trying to prevent gun discussion, it just needs to be done in the Politics & Religion forum because of the nature of the subject.
Actually, beer is more controversial to alcoholics ---- what's good for one, is good for the other, IMHO

Strings naturally twist and turn, on every forum I have ever participated in. Too much moderation is a bad thing.
Wanderer is offline  
Old 04-25-14, 03:55 PM   #10
Psycholist.5150
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: 4 Corners
Bikes: Giant TCR
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOL. Yes, mods. Thank you. It gets so tiring when the same ******** show up to a party and troll the conversation to helmets, guns, riding on the sidewalks, politics, religion or whatever stupid bug someone has up their ass. Without the intervention, this place would be like too many other forums.

OP - I love that you've been a member since 2007 with 98 posts and you're *****ing about how the site is run.
Psycholist.5150 is offline  
Old 04-26-14, 05:07 AM   #11
lectraplayer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Bikes: Kent Gran Concor 10 speed, Western Flyer 10 speed, JC Higgins (Sears) cruiser
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This one did get trolled, but...

Quote:
Originally posted by SixtyFiver:
Seems like the people who don't like the G word are the ones doing the most to derail this...
All started because somebody compared a semiauto pistol to clipless pedals and a revolver to platform pedals. Soon all mentions of guns quit as the comparason has been made and the members has moved on. ...until post 53. Notice the discussion before and after CbadRider did his "cleanup" of the thread. After everyone jumps Cbad, the discussion tries to go back, only to be moderated farther, and then bicycles get turned on out of a community wide frustration.

SixtyFiver hit the nail on the head here.

Is there a reason Psycholist.5150 has to flame? This thread and him may explain my low post count.

Last edited by lectraplayer; 04-26-14 at 05:24 AM.
lectraplayer is offline  
Old 04-26-14, 09:28 AM   #12
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectraplayer View Post
This one did get trolled, but...



All started because somebody compared a semiauto pistol to clipless pedals and a revolver to platform pedals. Soon all mentions of guns quit as the comparason has been made and the members has moved on. ...until post 53. Notice the discussion before and after CbadRider did his "cleanup" of the thread. After everyone jumps Cbad, the discussion tries to go back, only to be moderated farther, and then bicycles get turned on out of a community wide frustration.

SixtyFiver hit the nail on the head here.

Is there a reason Psycholist.5150 has to flame? This thread and him may explain my low post count.


I see your point. Therefore, I will undelete the gun posts and put this thread in the area best served with gun issues. I apologize for the inconvenience.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline  
Old 04-26-14, 09:47 AM   #13
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let me put this to you clearly, so you understand. Point 1, this is a bicycling site and not a gun site. Most of our membership prefers to not discuss guns, and we do not allow gun talk in the main forums in any way, because it ALWAYS leads to tears and a flame war. When you signed up for the site, in our TOS, you agreed to this as well as other limitations and acceptance of the policies of this moderated, private board. So you don't go First Amendment, preemptively, I will tell you that the first dopes not apply here because of your agreement to accept moderation and topical limitations.

If you'd like to talk guns, then let me know and I will give you access to P&R (P&R is invitation only), or you can do gun talk in Trollheim, if you prefer.....to get in there, when you get the password prompt, just enter the word trolling, but I can guarantee you won't get anything but trolled in there.....that's where I keep my captive trolls at. For the record, am about as far from being antigun as you can get, since I collect WWII and prior military battle rifles and handguns. I am a firm believer that guns are useful tools and not inherently dangerous, on their own as they have no agency of their own, and that it's the person holding it who is dangerous or not.

So we're clear, no gun talk in the main foriums and that has been policy for as long as BF has existed. All gun topics in the main forums will be either deleted or moved to P&R or Trollheim, depending on how that thread is progressing. Meantime, I am closing this thread, as well. If you would like to discuss this further with me, my PM box and Email is always open. tom(at)bikeforums(dot)net is my email and of course, you know how to PM me. Oh, and a thread hijack like you described below will definitely lead to deletion of those hijack posts and may well lead to infraction if the offending party has a history of that.

Finally, virtually no moderation action is a unilateral action of the moderator. We take an approach where 2 or more mods look at the issue and maybe even us Admins look before a decision is made. Those up us in the Admin group try to notissue infractions, because we also are the "Court of Appeals", so to speak. Appeals initially go to either Siu Blue Wind or CBadrider, and if they can't resolve it, it goes to the Superior Court of BF, namely, me. Ultimately, I make the final call and the buck stops here.

I hope you continue to enjoy your time here on BF, and just remember, basically, that we're all sitting in each others living rooms, so let's try to adopt a style that won't make you an unwelcome guest in our collective homes is all we ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectraplayer View Post
This one did get trolled, but...



All started because somebody compared a semiauto pistol to clipless pedals and a revolver to platform pedals. Soon all mentions of guns quit as the comparason has been made and the members has moved on. ...until post 53. Notice the discussion before and after CbadRider did his "cleanup" of the thread. After everyone jumps Cbad, the discussion tries to go back, only to be moderated farther, and then bicycles get turned on out of a community wide frustration.

SixtyFiver hit the nail on the head here.

Is there a reason Psycholist.5150 has to flame? This thread and him may explain my low post count.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:36 PM.