Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Forum Suggestions & User Assistance (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-suggestions-user-assistance/)
-   -   Forum logging me off every 3 minutes (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-suggestions-user-assistance/949916-forum-logging-me-off-every-3-minutes.html)

rdlange 05-24-14 01:12 PM

Forum logging me off every 3 minutes
 
Every time i am typing a message it logs me off before i'm done and i lose the message when i try to post or upload a picture.!!!

It's worse than listening to all the arrogant elitists and hipster/flippers with nasty mouth bad attitudes.

Where is the magic key to reset my 'on' time...?????

daihard 05-24-14 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdlange (Post 16788070)
Every time i am typing a message it logs me off before i'm done and i lose the message when i try to post or upload a picture.!!!

It's worse than listening to all the arrogant elitists and hipster/flippers with nasty mouth bad attitudes.

Where is the magic key to reset my 'on' time...?????

That never happens to me. Which browser do you use?

rdlange 05-24-14 01:18 PM

Not the browser, it's the forum settings. Problem same with Explorer, Chrome, Firefox. Other forums do the same thing, but give you a link to set your 'time on'. Where's is that for this forum???


did it again while I was typing this. Fortunately I 'saved' the text to reinsert after having to re-log in again.

Juha 05-24-14 01:27 PM

When you log in, do you tick the "Remember Me" -checkbox?

daihard 05-24-14 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdlange (Post 16788086)
Not the browser, it's the forum settings. Problem same with Explorer, Chrome, Firefox. Other forums do the same thing, but give you a link to set your 'time on'. Where's is that for this forum???

I have no idea. I haven't changed my forum settings since I signed up, and never once has it logged me out in the middle of typing. Could it be Windows? I use Linux and OS X. ;)

cuzzinit 05-24-14 01:33 PM

Constant issue i'm on several web forums at a time and they don't do that, very often at all. this one does no matter what wifi or browser i use

CbadRider 05-24-14 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juha (Post 16788109)
When you log in, do you tick the "Remember Me" -checkbox?

I am never randomly logged off when I check the Remember Me box when logging on.

shelbyfv 05-25-14 06:14 AM

The question could have been asked without the rant. Less chance of foot- in -mouth that way.

rdlange 05-25-14 10:37 AM

Now using 'remember me' when I log in and will continue. On other forums checking that is 'supposed to' just make the forum remember my login info until I wipe cookies. Maybe the problem is skipping around multiple forums.

I'll be glad if it works and thank you for the advise. Hope it helps others.

Tom Stormcrowe 05-26-14 05:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Simplicity itself. Under your log in, there's a little check box that says "remember Me". See the attached screenshot. Also, you must accept cookies for full site functionality.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=383028

capsicum 06-09-14 01:12 AM

I'm having the same issue, it seems to be a recent development,(though I'm not on very frequently these days)
And no "remember me" is not the answer, it is just a kludgey workaround for an actual problem the forum is having. "remember me" is intended for people who would like to close their browser/tabs and stay logged in long term.
This is an issue with the current session timing out in a very short time, using the same tab and browser window that was used to log in.
Firefox 29.0.1 Manjaro(Arch) stable build, if your curious.

alaskanb3arcub 06-09-14 01:31 PM

the forums aren't remembering my login either, even after wiping cookies and cache.

CbadRider 06-09-14 01:48 PM

I have notified IB to take a look at it.

Giant Doofus 06-09-14 02:05 PM

I'm having the same issue. It started about a week ago for me.

Tom Stormcrowe 06-09-14 04:31 PM

When you log in,
1) accept cookies
2) Ch4ck the remember me box
3) Disable adblockers since the forums are heavily graphic driven and it will become more and more difficult overe time to access the fprums while running adblockers, unfortunately and they are also a TOS violation. We try to keep the ads nonintrusive. We don't run popup ads for example, by choice although some adserver networks will occasionally slip one in on us, and when we find it, we block it as a violation of their contract, so report with screenshots if you get those. The adserver game runs too fastr though fpr preapproval on ads, unfortunately, so we'l alwauys be stuck iun reactive vs proactive mode there.

rdlange 06-15-14 05:36 PM

After following all the suggestions it keeps me logged in as long as I keep the window open. If I close it or it jumps to a linked window for more than 3 min, I get auto logged out.

Rollfast 06-15-14 10:43 PM

Did you try unchecking the option to delete the browser history on exit? I gather you might not be using IE (and I'm Win 7/IE11) but I'm almost certain you have missed something when the browser was updated. Please go back over your settings and see if any were reset to defaults or changed during the upgrade.

In case you are wondering BF is using the same vBulletin version it has had for a long time.

Ritterview 07-21-14 10:09 PM

I've been on BF for years, but the last several months I've been logged off after about 3 minutes. I'm using Chrome. I don't want to go on some safari to find out why this is happening, I just want an answer. The Remember Me checkoff box doesn't do it. I don't see where it asks me about cookies. I'm supposedly a Premium Member, so ads shouldn't be an issue.

This is a MAJOR PROBLEM, I hesitate to go to BF, because I'm tired of being logged off.

Tom Stormcrowe 07-22-14 01:43 PM

Part of the problem, I can't replicate the problem on any of my computers or browsers. I've tried everything from IE to an ancient copy of netscape1.0 and various OS from Mac to Linux, to Open BSD to Windows XP, Vista, 7 AND 8, and still stay logged in. I even stay logged in using Lynx, which strips style and presents the forums in raw code mode and even tried obscure browsers like Sea Monkey.

alaskanb3arcub 07-22-14 08:14 PM

It hasn't happened to me(using chrome) in the last month.

Deal4Fuji 07-22-14 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritterview (Post 16961944)
I've been on BF for years, but the last several months I've been logged off after about 3 minutes. I'm using Chrome. I don't want to go on some safari to find out why this is happening, I just want an answer. The Remember Me checkoff box doesn't do it. I don't see where it asks me about cookies. I'm supposedly a Premium Member, so ads shouldn't be an issue.

This is a MAJOR PROBLEM, I hesitate to go to BF, because I'm tired of being logged off.

It's happened to me from the my start in March, if I stay on a thread too long I time-out. I don't just surf my favorite sub-forums, but try to look over all the new posts when getting on the site. I don't read them all, but click on what looks interesting. Sometimes I'll have 15 - 20 pages of new threads and I rarely make it through all of them before being logged off. 10 pages & under is usually no problem unless I spend a long time on a thread. One other thing I've noticed and wanted to ask : Sometimes I can hold the mouse pointer over the thread topic and read the 1st paragraph of the thread to see if I'm interested....but on what seems like every other page - holding the mouse pointer over the topic brings up nothing ??? Am I the only one getting that ?

Just a FYI - Like ritterview I don't want to have to turn off all my pop-up blockers every time I get on BF.

Roopull 07-22-14 08:44 PM

It happens to me frequently... no ad blocker, not playing with cookies, remember me is checked. Chrome.

Honestly, I have just left the site after being logged off. Annoying.

Thankfully, I type faster than I pedal.

Rollfast 07-28-14 03:17 AM

In case you may not have noticed, it seems to me that you can EXCLUDE sites from the pop-up blocker, at least you can in Windows 7...which I use...even mark them as TRUSTED.

I suggest you check you browser's settings and Help files or web search for more information.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji (Post 16965313)
It's happened to me from the my start in March, if I stay on a thread too long I time-out. I don't just surf my favorite sub-forums, but try to look over all the new posts when getting on the site. I don't read them all, but click on what looks interesting. Sometimes I'll have 15 - 20 pages of new threads and I rarely make it through all of them before being logged off. 10 pages & under is usually no problem unless I spend a long time on a thread. One other thing I've noticed and wanted to ask : Sometimes I can hold the mouse pointer over the thread topic and read the 1st paragraph of the thread to see if I'm interested....but on what seems like every other page - holding the mouse pointer over the topic brings up nothing ??? Am I the only one getting that ?

Just a FYI - Like ritterview I don't want to have to turn off all my pop-up blockers every time I get on BF.


Ritterview 08-15-14 02:42 PM

I have gone through Chrome, and made all the adjustments I can to privilege Bike Forums. I still get logged off as before.

Is this problem of any concern to Admin? One wouldn't get the impression that it is from this torpid thread.

Siu Blue Wind 08-16-14 12:18 AM

I'll send this upstairs.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:48 AM.