Re-configuring a 90s cro-moly mtn. frame for 700c wheels?
I'm doing some searches but not finding exactly what I need....
I have an early 90s Schwinn HighPlains mtn. bike (low end comfort bike) broken down and boxed up due to moving on to better/more up-to-date hardware. I "rigged" it up to be a SS commuter for a while when I lived close to work, but the brake setup I tried was a little iffy (cantis with LOOONG arms so the pads could reach the rim brake surface) and eventually decided not to ride it since I was not confident if I could stop.
Now I'm faced with moving and MAY end up living close to work again (within 10 mi.). If that happens, I would like to try commuting by bike again but if I'm around 10 mi., I want my setup to be better.
700c wheels and 32 tires fit well and if the brake bosses were moved up, I think it would be a nice touring/commuter/cyclocross rig with more solid V-brakes. I want to run 700c's due to the potential distance of the commute. However, I have no idea how difficult it would be to remove the old bosses and rebraze 4 new bosses on, if it's possible, how much would it cost if I could DIY, or if it's even recommended?
It's a nice lugged frame that I would like to try to ressurect, but if I'm better off just buying a cheap touring frame off ebay, I'll do that! Any input/advise is welcomed!
Fork on the bike
easier option, but not necessarily cheaper.
if you knew the right person, they may braze on new canti bosses for you but you also have to consider that your paint will get all burned up and it won't look pleasant.
Mavic make adapters that fit onto the existing bosses and give you a new set of bosses at the right height for 700c wheels.
Better option than rewelding and repainting your frame.
Last edited by bikejack; 06-11-07 at 06:18 AM.
Of course!!! I completely forgot about those! That would definitely solve my problem, thanks!!
I've done this exact conversion on my MTB that I used as a commuter for school. I made a jig to hold the two brake-bosses at the precise spacing. It was simply a 2x6" metal plate that I drilled two holes into and then bolted it to the brake-bosses. Then I used a Dremel cutting disc and trimmed the brake-bosses off as close to the tubing as possible. Moved the bosses up about 30mm and brazed them into their new location with an oxy/acetylene torche. Took about 2-3 hours total with clean-up and painting.