Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Ductus Exemplo slimvela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    85048
    My Bikes
    2008 ADK Custom Build
    Posts
    745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    For those interested in seeing an example of repaint on the cheap...

    Keep in mind I have some Automotive Refinishing Experience, the only difference is the size of the project. To make things simple, I used air brushing equipment, chemical stripper and House of Kolor/PPG paint/prep products. Not expensive at all, less than $60 in materials (including metal prep chemicals), free labor of course. You can get a decent "cheap" air brush setup for about $50 these days.

    Example of my work: 2006 Fuji Roubaix refinished in House of Kolor-Carribean Surf (purple/green/gold color shift). It is the enamel formula, does not require a catalyst which makes it much easier to apply.

    Pictures do not do this color justice, or any color shifting pigment for that matter.

    You know you like the cheap "flame pinstriping"...





    Feel free to post comments, suggestions or questions.

    Next project: 2006 Giant OCR1 Aluminum redone in House of Kolor-Purple Passion...for the wife of course.
    Last edited by slimvela; 07-04-07 at 06:25 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the post. I am looking to do a budget paint job. My issue is not time or prep but proper procedure. What should I use to clean the frame before painting? How deep should I sand the surface rust? I notice that some pitting on my frame is occuring. It appears from the inside of the tubes. I am guessing it will be another 10 years before I have a hole in my frame.

    Do you paint the frame in stages tube per tube or shoot it all in one coat then re-coat? What sort of primer should I use? I want the paint to last. It will be stripped to bare steel.

  3. #3
    Ductus Exemplo slimvela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    85048
    My Bikes
    2008 ADK Custom Build
    Posts
    745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoreFeet
    Thanks for the post. I am looking to do a budget paint job. My issue is not time or prep but proper procedure. What should I use to clean the frame before painting? How deep should I sand the surface rust? I notice that some pitting on my frame is occuring. It appears from the inside of the tubes. I am guessing it will be another 10 years before I have a hole in my frame.

    Do you paint the frame in stages tube per tube or shoot it all in one coat then re-coat? What sort of primer should I use? I want the paint to last. It will be stripped to bare steel.

    Material type determines the clean/prep procedure. My frame is 7000 series aluminum, it required a chemical process to clean/etch the surface for proper paint adhesion. As for sanding surface rust; if any is left, it will continue to "grow" beneath the paints surface. "Sand" as much as needed. You may have to talk to someone in the know about rust in the tubes.

    As for painting process; shoot all the lugs/welds first as these are the tightest spots to reach then flow the tubes towards/onto the lugs/welds.

    FYI:
    This frame was done in the following process: masked (to protect carbon stays), chemically stripped, etched (chemically), cleaned (chemically), primed, 2 coats flat, 6 very light coats color (color shift pigments require "dusting" numerous coats for proper effect), 2 coats clear, buffed lightly. The only sanding that occured was after priming the frame, and that was done with ultra-fine Scotchbrite pads. I did however shoot it all in two weeks, prep/prime-day one and color/clear-day two. All per manufacturer spec/rec; deviate from their instructions and you may end up respraying. May I add it took about 20-24hrs total to do this, more work/time most DIY are willing to devote. Then it had to sit for 7-10 days for the paint to "cure" before it was ready for assembly.

    Durability: rolling on 250+ miles with only a couple of rocks chips.
    Last edited by slimvela; 07-05-07 at 02:11 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,901
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nice. Not overly crazy about the decals on the downtube, maybe at a different angle they look better.

  5. #5
    Dr.Deltron
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by slimvela
    Durability: rolling on 250+ miles with only a couple of rocks chips.

    OUCH!

    Just counted the chips in the Cannondale's paint; 9!
    Painted in '93.
    Mountain Bike.

  6. #6
    Ductus Exemplo slimvela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    85048
    My Bikes
    2008 ADK Custom Build
    Posts
    745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Deltron

    OUCH!

    Just counted the chips in the Cannondale's paint; 9!
    Painted in '93.
    Mountain Bike.
    Yeah, ouch!

    I'm impressed with your work. Looks like you'll be placed on my list for consideration when my GT Carbon Series frame-set arrives...hint-hint.

  7. #7
    Dr.Deltron
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by slimvela View Post
    Looks like you'll be placed on my list for consideration when my GT Carbon Series frame-set arrives...hint-hint.
    Coool! Thanks!!

    PM me when you're ready!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •