Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Davidson bicycle

    Here is my custom built Davidson 2007, one of the most detailed work done by them. I ordered it based on making it look like a Peugeot PX10. The frame color is a beautiful pearl white done by their painter Ryan
    farrell. It has newvex lugs, fork crown and tang. Pacenti drilled bottom bracket and brake boss, campy ends, and custom painted stem. The frame is made of Reynolds 853, the decals look like the old Reynolds 531 but says 853 instead.











  2. #2
    Decrepit Member Scooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco California
    My Bikes
    2007 Waterford 953 RS-22
    Posts
    8,634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Very nice. A real "sleeper"...
    - Stan

  3. #3
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Posts
    9,971
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PX10 was a nice riding/handling machine but had a typically lousy French paintjob!
    Peugeot never built a bike as nice as that Davidson-look-alike!
    Pedal on!
    Rudy/zonatandem

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow thats a very detailed frame... Just outta curiosity, what size is it?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a 56mm--same size and specs as Bob Freemans black beauty at Elliot Bay Cycle in Seattle. You can see that bike at cyclofiend.com.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
    Wow! Very nice. A real "sleeper"...
    I see you have a Waterford. I can't believe it weighs only 20.5 #. That reynolds 953 must weigh alot less than 853, because mine weighs 21#,and is alot shorter than yours.

  7. #7
    Decrepit Member Scooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco California
    My Bikes
    2007 Waterford 953 RS-22
    Posts
    8,634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    I see you have a Waterford. I can't believe it weighs only 20.5 #. That reynolds 953 must weigh alot less than 853, because mine weighs 21#,and is alot shorter than yours.
    Thanks.

    I don't believe there's a significant difference in weight between the 853 and 953 tube sets (generally, 953 tubing walls average about 0.1mm thinner than 853 tubing walls). My frame by itself (no fork, no BB, no headset) weighs 1650 grams (a little over 3-1/2 pounds), and I'd bet your frame weighs less than that.

    I notice you have a triple crank and some alloy components. I went with Campy Record carbon and a compact double, so that's part of the difference. Don't forget, the paint weighs something, too.
    Last edited by Scooper; 07-22-08 at 12:01 PM.
    - Stan

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
    Thanks.

    I don't believe there's a significant difference in weight between the 853 and 953 tube sets (generally, 953 tubing walls average about 0.1mm thinner than 853 tubing walls). My frame by itself (no fork, no BB, no headset) weighs 1650 grams (a little over 3-1/2 pounds), and I'd bet your frame weighs less than that.

    I notice you have a triple crank and some alloy components. I went with Campy Record carbon and a compact double, so that's part of the difference. Don't forget, the paint weighs something, too.
    Your right, my campy triple, 700x28 gran bois tires. Pauls centerpull plus hardware, and the paintjob add for the weight differance-thanks Jim

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Atlantis, 1988 Pinarello, Rivendell Wilbury (my wife's bike)
    Posts
    400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is beautiful. I've been a fan of lugged steel for over 20 years, and that's a bicycle I'll remember. It looks comfortable and fast. I love the lugged stem and the bottom bracket.

    I actually just moved to the Pacific Northwest from the East Coast about a year ago, and I've been admiring Davidson's work online... and in person during the few times I've seen one on the road or in a shop. I turn 40 in three years, and I've already told my wife that I want a custom road bike with a sport-touring geometry. I think a Davidson would fit the bill nicely.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks--this was my birthday gift to me with the approvel from my wife last year. I allways wanted a bike like this since I was 14 years old but was never able to afford it. I'm older than you so I won't tell you my age, lets just say my 25 year old son is drooling to have this beauty, but not until I can't ride no more. Hope you enjoy the Pacific Northwest--It rains alot--but we appreciate the sun more than anyone when it does come out------regards jim
    Last edited by jimc; 07-25-08 at 10:24 PM. Reason: misspelling

  11. #11
    Senior Member amckimmey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Surly Pugsley Special Ops
    Posts
    522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is so beautiful thing I have seen in a long time, I have a friend that actual had 3 PX10s, it looks so much like them, but so much better, I love the detail. I have an old Davidson Impulse, love the bike, not even close to the detail, but still great, after seeing this, & want to get another one, one that is actually custom for me, with some great work like that.

    Does that happen to have similar geometry to the PX10?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amckimmey View Post
    That is so beautiful thing I have seen in a long time, I have a friend that actual had 3 PX10s, it looks so much like them, but so much better, I love the detail. I have an old Davidson Impulse, love the bike, not even close to the detail, but still great, after seeing this, & want to get another one, one that is actually custom for me, with some great work like that.

    Does that happen to have similar geometry to the PX10?
    I don't think so, PX10 was a race model. My Davidson is built for sports touring, longer wheelbase,and softer ride and accomodate larger tires, I think up to 32mm. To get the exact spec of my bike you will have to call Elliot bay bicycle in Seattle for Bob Freeman or Bill Davidson himself. I happen to get on one of Bobs bike and said I like this fit--and they copied the exact spec on his Black beauty. I hope this helps, I'm not much of a numbers guy------regards jim

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Posts
    6,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking bike!

    For anyone who hasn't worked with Bill or Bob before, they're terrific to work with. Their shop is *always* worth a visit; there are always 3 or 4 beatiful, interesting customer bikes on their way out the door.

    I was in the store last night getting fitted for some new shoes / pedals and there were two or three steel bikes headed out the door, and a 30-year-old Davidson they had just repainted.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Coyote2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cf handlebar and Ksyrium wheels seem out-of-place on such a retro frame. It'd look better with a Nitto bar and some 32-spoke wheels.

    I'd hate to be around when that frame gets its first scratch -- that'll hurt. :-(

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote2 View Post
    cf handlebar and Ksyrium wheels seem out-of-place on such a retro frame. It'd look better with a Nitto bar and some 32-spoke wheels.

    I'd hate to be around when that frame gets its first scratch -- that'll hurt. :-(
    Thanks for the comment--the Solida handlebar is aluminum, just fake cr wrap on top. Yes the Ksyrium do look out-of-place, but they are bomb proof. I am now looking for some nice retro wheels--any suggestions--thanks jim

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    4,731
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    I have the original wheels from my Davidson from 1981. But I ride it with Velomax Tempests with a 10sp cassette. I have since replaced the brakes/levers, the saddle and seatpost (these two just last night) and pedals, and rewrapped the bars. The Campy NR is staying! The tubing is Columbus SL. I need an updated picture. Maybe I'll take one tonight.

    I'm thinking of putting different bars on it too. The bend on these just doesn't feel right compared to my new bike.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacster View Post


    I have the original wheels from my Davidson from 1981. But I ride it with Velomax Tempests with a 10sp cassette. I have since replaced the brakes/levers, the saddle and seatpost (these two just last night) and pedals, and rewrapped the bars. The Campy NR is staying! The tubing is Columbus SL. I need an updated picture. Maybe I'll take one tonight.

    I'm thinking of putting different bars on it too. The bend on these just doesn't feel right compared to my new bike.
    Wow a vintage Davidson, looks great still. I can't believe your using campy NR on a 10 sp cassette, didn't think it had that much range. I decided not to change my Kysrium wheels for retro looking ones, the wheels just ride to good with this bike, they are durable, light, fast, and expensive--maybe better than any retro style wheel custom built or bought at any lbs----jim

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    4,731
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problem with the 10sp cassette is I can't get onto the largest cog. You're right, it doesn't have enough range, although it could be I have a little more play but the screw is stopping it. In any case I never use the large one. It otherwise shifts a LOT better than you would think. You only have to move the shifter a bit to get it to shift, and it is very quiet when it does. In fact, it makes me wonder why we needed indexed shifting in the first place. The chain/cassette has more to do with the clean shift than the brifter does.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Posts
    6,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacster View Post
    The only problem with the 10sp cassette is I can't get onto the largest cog. You're right, it doesn't have enough range, although it could be I have a little more play but the screw is stopping it. In any case I never use the large one. It otherwise shifts a LOT better than you would think. You only have to move the shifter a bit to get it to shift, and it is very quiet when it does. In fact, it makes me wonder why we needed indexed shifting in the first place. The chain/cassette has more to do with the clean shift than the brifter does.
    Interesting modernization. Having restored my vintage 80's Tommasini back to its original condition, I've now decided to change course. I want to put on a compact crank, a 10-sp cassette, and modern wheels...keeping my downtube Campy shifters, non-aero brakes, and Campy derailleurs. By coincidence, I'll likely have the folks at Elliott Bay do the work (though they may shoot me for putting on a compact crank...).

    My current crankset is 53/43 chainrings...which is a struggle for me if I head up into the hills, and I would like to use my bike up in the mountains on some longer rides.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    4,731
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have another bike from the same year that I've kept in original condition. That one has Campy SR pantograph components. I wouldn't ever change anything on it.

    The Davidson OTOH was always a mishmash of components, since I was paying for each of them when it was built. Some were high end for the time like the Campy NR, some were not, like the Modolo Speedy brakes. I had no qualms at all about replacing the Speedys earlier this summer.

    As for the compact crank, 10sp wheels that you are looking at, wheels can easily be swapped in or out, so you can keep the vintage look. Cranks are harder.

    Use 10sp Shimano wheels and an Ultegra or DA chain and keep the gearing reasonable. Don't use Campy. Shimano is a little narrower so it works better with the NR derailleur. Keep the shifters as I did. The brakes I put on are aero style Tektro. Cheap stuff, but it works well, looks good and feels right, just like Campy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •