Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member kranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Silver Comet Trail
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Supercourse frame repair advice needed

    I have a '73 Raleigh Supercourse frame with a damaged seat stay. There is a crack where the plane of the flat seat cap intersects the tube of the stay. It can be seen outlined in yellow in the photo below. What would the recommended repair be? What kind of talent should I look for to make the repair?

    Thanks!



  2. #2
    Decrepit Member Scooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco California
    My Bikes
    2007 Waterford 953 RS-22
    Posts
    8,641
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stay cap is brazed to the end of the stay, and needs to be rebrazed. The damage is mostly cosmetic since the brazing joining the stay to the seat cluster lug appears to be sound.

    Rebrazing the cap is a simple task any framebuilder can do, but repainting the area after the repair will be necessary.

    Where are you located?
    - Stan

  3. #3
    Senior Member kranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Silver Comet Trail
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Stan,

    Thanks for taking a look at my frame. I'm located in Atlanta. I'm not familiar with any framebuilders here, but then this is the first time I've needed one.

    Will heating/brazing the seat stay have any effect on the other joints? Where the seat stay is joined to the seat tube, for example?

    I figured some painting would be required. How localized will it be? Just the area around the seat stay, or will it spread further?

    thanks,

    kranz

  4. #4
    Decrepit Member Scooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco California
    My Bikes
    2007 Waterford 953 RS-22
    Posts
    8,641
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kranz View Post
    Will heating/brazing the seat stay have any effect on the other joints? Where the seat stay is joined to the seat tube, for example?
    An experienced framebuilder knows how to use the torch to control the heat so that rebrazing the stay cap would not affect the seat stay to seat lug joint.

    Quote Originally Posted by kranz View Post
    I figured some painting would be required. How localized will it be? Just the area around the seat stay, or will it spread further?
    The paint damage should be limited to the area around the seat lug cluster.

    I'm not aware of any local Atlanta framebuilders, but Clarke White has a pretty complete list of framebuilders on his website HERE (click on "FRAME BUILDERS SECTION"). You can browse the links and see if there's somebody within a reasonable distance you can talk to.

    Another thought is to check with local bike shops in the area and ask if they know of any local framebuilders who might be interested in brazing the seat stay cap for you. Reality Bikes in Cummings appears to have a large service area and may know of a local framebuilder.
    Last edited by Scooper; 03-12-09 at 12:25 PM.
    - Stan

  5. #5
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,524
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kranz View Post
    I have a '73 Raleigh Supercourse frame with a damaged seat stay. There is a crack where the plane of the flat seat cap intersects the tube of the stay. It can be seen outlined in yellow in the photo below. What would the recommended repair be? What kind of talent should I look for to make the repair?
    As Stan mentioned, it's not a structural issue, just cosmetic. If it were mine, I'd wait until the frame needed repainting and fix it then. In the mean time, clean it up the best you can and wax over it to keep moisture out.

  6. #6
    Decrepit Member Scooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco California
    My Bikes
    2007 Waterford 953 RS-22
    Posts
    8,641
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
    As Stan mentioned, it's not a structural issue, just cosmetic. If it were mine, I'd wait until the frame needed repainting and fix it then. In the mean time, clean it up the best you can and wax over it to keep moisture out.
    Great advice.
    - Stan

  7. #7
    Senior Member kranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Silver Comet Trail
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, guys. That's great advice. I had been laboring under the asumption that it was a structural issue. The frame is in otherwise beautiful low mileage condition and I was agonizing over having to do surgery to it. I'll ride it and keep a watchful eye on it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •