Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-09, 02:26 PM   #1
Pharcyder1406
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hole in frame

So, I tried to pry a brazed eyelet off my frame and now there is a little hole. ******** I know. Its a vintage peugeot frame that I am trying to shave. Its going to be a fixed gear and I want to remove all the unnecessary braze-ons.

1. The frame is not worth it to bring to a professional to fix (the whole bike only cost $60) so what are my options? I was thinking of JB weld and filing/sanding it down. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

2. What is a better option for removing the braze-ons? Dremel and file down?

Thanks!
Pharcyder1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-09, 10:00 PM   #2
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.
Posts: 16,448
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharcyder1406 View Post
So, I tried to pry a brazed eyelet off my frame and now there is a little hole. ******** I know. Its a vintage peugeot frame that I am trying to shave. Its going to be a fixed gear and I want to remove all the unnecessary braze-ons.

1. The frame is not worth it to bring to a professional to fix (the whole bike only cost $60) so what are my options? I was thinking of JB weld and filing/sanding it down. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

2. What is a better option for removing the braze-ons? Dremel and file down?

Thanks!
Why even bother removing the braze-ons? As you've discovered, you're more likely to damage the frame by removing the braze-ons than just leaving them alone. Fill the damage you've already created with lead solder, file it smooth, and just leave the rest of it the way it is. Removing the braze-ons doesn't make it track frame; it just makes it a road frame somebody has buggered up in the name of fashion.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 08-01-09 at 10:08 PM.
JohnDThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-09, 11:52 PM   #3
rodar y rodar
weirdo
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Bikes:
Posts: 1,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
Removing the braze-ons doesn't make it track frame; it just makes it a road frame somebody has buggered up in the name of fashion.
Thank you! That`s much more polite than what crossed my mind.
rodar y rodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 07:19 AM   #4
Nessism
Senior Member
 
Nessism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Torrance, CA
Bikes: Homebuilt steel
Posts: 2,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where is the hole? Assuming it's not in a critical area, put a sticker over it and ride.
__________________
Becareful buying/selling bike parts on-line. I learned the hard way. :(

Good/Bad Trader Listing
Nessism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 12:33 PM   #5
Pharcyder1406
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
Why even bother removing the braze-ons? As you've discovered, you're more likely to damage the frame by removing the braze-ons than just leaving them alone. Fill the damage you've already created with lead solder, file it smooth, and just leave the rest of it the way it is. Removing the braze-ons doesn't make it track frame; it just makes it a road frame somebody has buggered up in the name of fashion.
Lead solder like this? Applied with a solder gun?

http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/P...535&Click=1014

As far as removing the braze-ons, Im not trying to make it a track frame. Im just trying to shave it for a nice clean look. Fixed gear conversion is all about minimalism and functionality. What is the point of having all these tiny brackets all over the bike when they will never be used?
Pharcyder1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 12:55 PM   #6
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 14,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
the point is that fixed gear conversions are last year's fashion. Classic road bikes are next year's fashion. You'll be wishing you'd have kept that braze on's then. Nothing wrong with a few braze-ons.
unterhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 01:25 PM   #7
Pharcyder1406
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
the point is that fixed gear conversions are last year's fashion. Classic road bikes are next year's fashion. You'll be wishing you'd have kept that braze on's then. Nothing wrong with a few braze-ons.
Your error is assuming that Im building this for "fashion".

Regardless, I didnt ask for peoples opinion on conversions. I asked how to best remove braze-ons and fill this tiny hole.
Pharcyder1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 04:13 PM   #8
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.
Posts: 16,448
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharcyder1406 View Post
Lead solder like this? Applied with a solder gun?

http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/P...535&Click=1014
No; you're unlikely to get enough heat from a solder gun. A propane/air torch and generic plumbing solder will work.

Quote:
As far as removing the braze-ons, Im not trying to make it a track frame. Im just trying to shave it for a nice clean look. Fixed gear conversion is all about minimalism and functionality. What is the point of having all these tiny brackets all over the bike when they will never be used?
What's the point in removing them if they're not in the way and you damage the frame in the process of removing them?

If they bother you, sell the frame with the braze-ons intact and buy a frame without braze-ons.
JohnDThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 04:15 PM   #9
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.
Posts: 16,448
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharcyder1406 View Post
Your error is assuming that Im building this for "fashion".

Regardless, I didnt ask for peoples opinion on conversions.
Aren't you the same person who wrote this?

Quote:
Im just trying to shave it for a nice clean look. Fixed gear conversion is all about minimalism and functionality.
Sure sounds like fashion to me, especially when it comes at the expense of frame integrity.

Quote:
I asked how to best remove braze-ons and fill this tiny hole.
And you got answers about why it is a bad idea. If a fad came up to make your car's look "cleaner" and "minimal" that involves removing the lug nuts from your wheels, do you suppose you'd get encouragement from professionals when you asked about the best way to go about this?

And yes, I *DO* ride fixed gear, and have for many years.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 08-02-09 at 04:19 PM.
JohnDThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 07:03 PM   #10
Servo888
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SE, Michigan
Bikes: k2 Zed 3.0
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One frame I was fixing up had some rust issues. Specifically two of the cable guides were rusted through, causing them to collapse. They were removed by the use of a grinding wheel (dremel), and metal sand paper.





But since, stopping is pretty important, they were replaced with stick on aluminum guides.

I kinda miss that bike *sigh*

Servo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:53 PM.