Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-04-09, 06:51 PM   #1
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,123
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
How does one paint carbon fiber?

I know this isn't exactly frame building. But, I figured you guys would have the answer over any other sub-forum.



I have a monocoque carbon fiber frame exactly like the one in this photo. I'd like to have it painted. Would standard local powder coat and bake work? Or is there a special process or materials?

Thanks,

C
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 08:08 PM   #2
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can't powder coat carbon. You have to heat the powder in an oven to cure it and it reaches temperatures beyond the tolerances of the frame's epoxy resin (it'll melt).

Normal paint will work fine though.
Prep sand the frame, prime it, paint it, clear coat.
Search through Dr. Delton's posts for excellent tips on how to properly apply the above.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 08:17 PM   #3
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,123
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Thanks!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrob View Post
Roadies can run tempo all year as that's what humans were designed for. If you want to be a cheetah, lay around and lick your paws more.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-09, 09:59 AM   #4
Velodad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
You can't powder coat carbon. You have to heat the powder in an oven to cure it and it reaches temperatures beyond the tolerances of the frame's epoxy resin (it'll melt).

Normal paint will work fine though.
Prep sand the frame, prime it, paint it, clear coat.
Search through Dr. Delton's posts for excellent tips on how to properly apply the above
.
Could be a good look.
Velodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 01:26 PM   #5
jr-14
Trail Destroyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was reading somewhere that you CAN powder coat carbon fiber, and that larger industrial coating companies do it regularly. It involved a person actually being IN the oven. I believe that its a lower temperature, and they spray the piece once its warm enough, and the powder actually cooks as its flying through the air. Its sounds a little wishy washy to me, because I thought the piece had to be grounded, or negatively charged. I'm not sure which.

I could be completely wrong too, I just thought I'd throw it out there. Besides, that would probably cost BIG bucks.
jr-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 02:00 PM   #6
NoReg
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What you are painting, to be mister picky, is epoxy, or in the case of a finished frame, whatever stuff they put over epoxy. In some cases it might be a different resin system, though I like epoxy. There are many products designed to finish epoxy, including sprayable epoxy paints. Yacht finishing systems are available, and car paints of course. Some of these are brushable. I refinished parts of my trimaran this summer and the brushed on awlgrip was very hard to grind through. Tough stuff.
NoReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 05:47 PM   #7
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 14,573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr-14 View Post
I was reading somewhere that you CAN powder coat carbon fiber, and that larger industrial coating companies do it regularly. It involved a person actually being IN the oven. I believe that its a lower temperature, and they spray the piece once its warm enough, and the powder actually cooks as its flying through the air.
sounds a lot like flame spray. That's a technique where they heat metal and spray it on metal parts to make them bigger, for example to replace a worn area. Powder coat is melted on, so there is no reason why the melting has to occur while the powder is actually on the part to be coated. Don't think I would want to work in an oven though.
unterhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 06:42 PM   #8
jr-14
Trail Destroyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While the ingenuity of different coatings is astounding, applying any of these would be monumentally expensive (I'm guessing). Just not worth it on a bike. A yacht, yes, a bike no. Not for me anyway. To quote someone from somewhere, K to the R to the ylon.
jr-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:11 PM.