Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-11, 12:03 PM   #1
crock
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 100
Bike for Oregon Manifest Competition

The Oregon Manifest is a competition to build the best utility bike. You can check it out here:
oregonmanifest.com
This event has been criticized as being an event for rando bikes with a rear rack, and if that is the case for the new competition, I probably won't enter. What I am hoping to do is enter a mixte city bike with a Rohloff hub, a front basket, and a rear rack. The bike will have battery operated LED lights integrated to the stem, racks, and fenders. Once they publish the judging criteria for 2011 I can know for sure if such a bike stands a chance of winning. Dale Saso will build the frame and I will make the racks and do all the machine work and assembly.
Right off the start, there are three issues that I can't answer and would like to know if more knowledgeable people could provide some helpful input:
1. I have been told that the latest triple chainring cranksets and deraileur systems are so good that a Rohloff hub would be unnecessary. Not having much experience with the latest hardware, I set my wife out on a new comfort bike and found she immediately had trouble with it. Have you found that beginners still have trouble with the latest triple chainring hardware? This is the primary reason for choosing a Rohloff hub.
2. We need to use easy rolling wide diameter tires. The best tires I have seen are the 650B sized 41 mm Grand Bois Hetre tires. Are there any similar tires made for the 26" wheel size? I hate to go with 650B, but I will if I can't find an equivalent 26" tire.
3. We have the same wheel size issues with the fenders. I can find great looking hammered aluminum fenders in 650B, but not 26".
Perhaps these questions should be put somewhere other than the frame builder's forum, but all of these issues really come down to designing the frame around the best hardware available so a frame builder's input is the most valued.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by crock; 01-03-11 at 12:05 PM. Reason: link issues
crock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 12:22 PM   #2
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 14,483
They said they are changing the rules, so who knows what they will come up with. The competition last time was effectively a beauty contest, and I don't expect that aspect to change all that much. So 26" tires might not be your best choice. But there are some reasonable choices in 26" tires. I think a Rohloff is always a good choice, new users are always going to have to adapt to use a derailleur system.
unterhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 01:07 PM   #3
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,086
Alfine 11 is bound to be fitted on several bikes , as its the latest kit.

big + on IG hubs is changing gears, moving or not.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 05:03 PM   #4
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 14,483
I'm going to say that in a beauty contest a Rohloff is going to be a plus. Not sure if it's worth nearly $1000 premium just for that though.
unterhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 05:08 PM   #5
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,255
Was at the last mainifest and the constructeur bicycles they built were also taken out and ridden hard as this was also part of the competition... would expect Ahearne to offer up one of his custom cargo bikes while Cetma has pretty much set the bar pretty high with their hand built cargo hauler.

Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 05:22 PM   #6
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rock Springs, WY
Bikes: My War
Posts: 26,367
Tough to beat Metrofiets, though. They make some of the prettiest cargo bikes around.

LesterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 05:34 PM   #7
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 14,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
Was at the last mainifest and the constructeur bicycles they built were also taken out and ridden hard as this was also part of the competition... would expect Ahearne to offer up one of his custom cargo bikes while Cetma has pretty much set the bar pretty high with their hand built cargo hauler.
I don't think that a cargo bike is what they will be looking for. The riding task was difficult, but utter failures did not seem to effect the final results at all. I idly looked at the rules to decide if I should enter. I thought they were a little silly and didn't give me a clear notion of what to build. That may be why they ignored the rules to a great degree, and just judged based on what bike they liked the best. The winning bike was really nice, no doubt, but the performance aspect of the competition didn't seem to be a factor in the judging. This was a widely held opinion, and that's why they have said they are going to take steps to make the riding task a significant part of the judging.
unterhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 09:01 PM   #8
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 10,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
They said they are changing the rules, so who knows what they will come up with. The competition last time was effectively a beauty contest, and I don't expect that aspect to change all that much. So 26" tires might not be your best choice. But there are some reasonable choices in 26" tires. I think a Rohloff is always a good choice, new users are always going to have to adapt to use a derailleur system.
From international design contest experience, may I suggest this:

Either enter what you want and don't worry about winning.
OR
Enter what will win.
For that, you need to know the rules and the judges.
Understanding the world view of the judges is important.
Remember, what the judges pick must make THEM look good.
If the ride is judged and part of the scoring to an important extent... Be or hire the best rider you can. You dress him. You coach him on how to behave.
You need to be a good ambassador if you win.
Look at the sponsors, if a component mfg is part of the deal, you better use that brand.

A sell out? Yes, but this is a Design, fabrication and performance competition most likely. This is NOT art.

Paid off all my student loans with the view above.
repechage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 10:55 PM   #9
KNEEL
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 49
bravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
From international design contest experience, may I suggest this:

Either enter what you want and don't worry about winning.
OR
Enter what will win.
For that, you need to know the rules and the judges.
Understanding the world view of the judges is important.
Remember, what the judges pick must make THEM look good.
If the ride is judged and part of the scoring to an important extent... Be or hire the best rider you can. You dress him. You coach him on how to behave.
You need to be a good ambassador if you win.
Look at the sponsors, if a component mfg is part of the deal, you better use that brand.

A sell out? Yes, but this is a Design, fabrication and performance competition most likely. This is NOT art.

Paid off all my student loans with the view above.
This is a great post, thank you.

Last edited by KNEEL; 01-10-11 at 08:22 AM.
KNEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:44 AM.