Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    True Temper OS2 vs OX Platinum

    I think I'm going to order a new steel custom bike and have narrowed it down to a few builders. I want a sport/tour type frame and the ones I've come up with are built by Independent Fabrication, Seven, Waterford, and Rodriquez. IF and Seven choose the tubing for you from the big manufacturers. Waterford uses True Temper OS2 and I can get a Rodriguez in True Temper OX Platinum. Can anyone tell me the difference between OS2 and OX Platinum?

  2. #2
    Decrepit Member Scooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco California
    My Bikes
    Waterford 953 RS-22
    Posts
    9,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by professorbob View Post
    I think I'm going to order a new steel custom bike and have narrowed it down to a few builders. I want a sport/tour type frame and the ones I've come up with are built by Independent Fabrication, Seven, Waterford, and Rodriquez. IF and Seven choose the tubing for you from the big manufacturers. Waterford uses True Temper OS2 and I can get a Rodriguez in True Temper OX Platinum. Can anyone tell me the difference between OS2 and OX Platinum?
    Waterford's "OS2" is a blend of tubes selected by the builder for a specific rider's custom 14-Series TIG welded frame. I don't believe it is a specific tubeset, so it can't be directly compared to OX Platinum.

    Quote Originally Posted by Waterford website
    14-Series Vision OS2

    TIG-welded OS2 technology frames using Waterford’s extensive palette of tubes can deliver everything you want and more. These frames offer impressive performance, combining light weight with tremendous strength.

    • TIG-welded construction means the ability to create virtually any design imaginable. Our heat treated air-hardening alloys are specifically formulated to be TIG welded.
    We select each tube to match your specific needs and desires, factoring in your weight, desired handling, load capacity, riding habits and the expected terrain.
    • Stainless steel dropouts come on virtually every OS2 design, whether it’s our standard road investment-cast vertical dropouts or track/fixed gear designs.
    • We offer the full Waterford color palette with hundreds of stock finishes and nearly two dozen decal colors and styles. In addition, we offer a wide range of special finishes and special effects.
    Here are general descriptions of the current True Temper tubing lineup:


    Here are the profiles for OX Platinum:
    - Stan

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very informative. Thanks!

  4. #4
    Licensed Bike Geek Davet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Los Barriles, Baja Sur, Mexico
    My Bikes
    Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol
    Posts
    963
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been my experience with custom made for me bikes (5), is that I give the builder all my details; weight, measurements, fitting results, etc, tell him what kind of riding the bike will be used for and let him build the bike choosing the tubing he thinks is best for what I'm doing. The only thing I will control in the process is the color of the paint. This is all assuming your builder is skilled in doing that. The builders you've listed, with one exception, seem to be so.

  5. #5
    Andrew R Stewart Andrew R Stewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder
    Posts
    3,903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davet View Post
    It's been my experience with custom made for me bikes (5), is that I give the builder all my details; weight, measurements, fitting results, etc, tell him what kind of riding the bike will be used for and let him build the bike choosing the tubing he thinks is best for what I'm doing. The only thing I will control in the process is the color of the paint. This is all assuming your builder is skilled in doing that. The builders you've listed, with one exception, seem to be so.
    Not that I suggest that you out the exception, but I wonder who you think it is. Andy.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFAIK, "OS2" IS OX platinum - just a specific set of diameter/wall thicknes specs that Waterford uses. Having owned and ridden a couple of Gunnar (Waterford's "economy" line) frames, one first-gen OS and the other OS2, I've found the OS2 to be a bit TOO stiff for my liking. And I'm not a small rider: 62cm frames, 6'3" and 180-200 lb. But then it seems I've always preferred "springier" frames, even in my racing days. That said, I highly recommend anything that Waterford builds. They know their stuff.

    SP
    OC, OR

  7. #7
    Decrepit Member Scooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco California
    My Bikes
    Waterford 953 RS-22
    Posts
    9,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rando_couche View Post
    AFAIK, "OS2" IS OX platinum - just a specific set of diameter/wall thicknes specs that Waterford uses. Having owned and ridden a couple of Gunnar (Waterford's "economy" line) frames, one first-gen OS and the other OS2, I've found the OS2 to be a bit TOO stiff for my liking. And I'm not a small rider: 62cm frames, 6'3" and 180-200 lb. But then it seems I've always preferred "springier" frames, even in my racing days. That said, I highly recommend anything that Waterford builds. They know their stuff.

    SP
    OC, OR
    Reading between the lines HERE, I don't believe that's always true. I think Waterford uses True Temper OX Platinum, Reynolds 853, and possibly other air-hardening tubing in its "palette" of "OS2", and tailor the specific tubes used to the customer's requirements.

    The Gunnar website sheds additional light on "OS2"...

    Gunnar Bikes Material

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar website
    Material

    We rely on heat treated air-hardening steels for every Gunnar – mainly True Temper OX Platinum but also Reynolds 853
    . We order these alloys custom drawn to our rigorous specifications. We thoughtfully select the diameter and wall thickness of each tube to provide the right balance of strength, light weight, durability, and performance, according to the specific requirements of the style and size of your Gunnar.

    Air-hardening alloys represent a significant advance in metallurgy. It is designed to be enhanced by TIG welding. “Air-hardening” refers to how the material responds to TIG welding. As it cools down, it becomes super-heat treated, but in a way that avoids becoming brittle in the weld zone. Traditional steel alloys, such as 4130 chromoly, embrittlement means that the joint (which receives the most stress on the bike) – is weaker than the parent tube. This limits how light a tubeset can be welded and still maintain structural integrity. Air-hardening alloys eliminate this problem and indeed the super-heat treated weld zones provide a nice balance with the heat treated parent tubes.

    We didn’t stop there. We took advantage of these properties to develop a whole new system of tubes we call “OS2″. These tubes let us tune the ride the way we like at frame weights not possible with regular chromoly. It performs even better than the traditional tube dimensions using our air-hardening alloys.

    By system of tubes we mean that we don’t just limit ourselves to one top tube, one down tube, etc. We instead offer a number of top tubes and downtubes, which we mix by size and application. This lets us provide you the same ride qualities throughout our range of sizes, so the big guys don’t have to live with wimpy frames. Also, we use heavier tubes for high-stress applications like anything off-road or unsupported touring.

    The result are bikes that are a pleasure to ride, a pleasure to own and a great long-term investment.
    Last edited by Scooper; 01-11-15 at 03:03 PM. Reason: added Gunnar link
    - Stan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •