Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-05, 08:03 PM   #1
supcom
You need a new bike
Thread Starter
 
supcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Century A Month

Anyone doing a monthly century (imperial, not metric)? I just finished my fifth century in five months today. Woo Hoo! All but one solo rides. My goal is to do one each month this year. So far so good.

So, who else is doing the long rides?
supcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-05, 09:48 PM   #2
pcsanity1
Censorship Stinks!
 
pcsanity1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Bikes: Three
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have done one per month since January 2004. 16 months straight. Though, unlike you, I am doing them in a small group of friends.
pcsanity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-05, 10:10 PM   #3
cyclwestks
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't got mine in for May yet.

We put in a new garage door today; actually more wore out from doing that than I get from riding a century.
cyclwestks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-05, 10:28 PM   #4
Rev.Chuck
The Red Lantern
 
Rev.Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Raleigh NC
Bikes:
Posts: 5,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am lucky to ride a a cumulative century a month
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Rev.Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 12:29 AM   #5
Rowan
Has opinion, will express
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,661
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Yes. Finished May's today.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 04:58 PM   #6
spindog
Respect Your Hill
 
spindog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Connecticut
Bikes: 2007 Colnago CLX Carbon, 2 Cannondale R2000Si's (road), 1 Trek (road), 1 Cannondale (Mtn)
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't ride outdoors in the Winter months, so I don't qualify for the one-century-a-month thing, but......

I usually ride my first century in late May (will be the 15th this year) and ride one every weekend until early October - unless there is severe rainy, windy, nasty weather. Five of those weekend involve back-on-back/Saturday & Sunday rides. Most of these rides are in CT,NY,NH,ME,VT, and RI.

If I don't have a century planned, I will do my training loop from my house which is 80.4 miles and have an extra 23 mile extension that I can add if it feels right and I have time.

By October I am pretty burnt and I pack it in and train at the gym instead for the winter months and then start all over again in the Spring. Hey- it works for me.

I'm not saying that this is normal (nor that I am normal) but I love the challenge of long multiple rides and I am truly addicted.
spindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 05:03 PM   #7
TheRCF
Da Big Kahuna
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Bikes:
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How about a century a year? (grin)

Heck, I've been riding just over 3 years and have only done two.

On the other hand, early this year I did 3 metric century rides in the same week and a 4th ride of over 40 at least.
TheRCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 05:37 PM   #8
powells2
bikin'barbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: st. louis, MO
Bikes:
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindog
I don't ride outdoors in the Winter months, so I don't qualify for the one-century-a-month thing, but......

I usually ride my first century in late May (will be the 15th this year) and ride one every weekend until early October - unless there is severe rainy, windy, nasty weather. Five of those weekend involve back-on-back/Saturday & Sunday rides. Most of these rides are in CT,NY,NH,ME,VT, and RI.

If I don't have a century planned, I will do my training loop from my house which is 80.4 miles and have an extra 23 mile extension that I can add if it feels right and I have time.

By October I am pretty burnt and I pack it in and train at the gym instead for the winter months and then start all over again in the Spring. Hey- it works for me.

I'm not saying that this is normal (nor that I am normal) but I love the challenge of long multiple rides and I am truly addicted.
You are living my life!!!!!!!
powells2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 09:00 PM   #9
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,768
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Yes. I did a century a month in 2003, and am attempting again this year. Where are you logging your miles? With BigDogs? With the UMCA? Over on the Bicycling Forum's Long Distance forum?

I'm logging mine with BigDogs and the Bicycling Forum's Long Distance forum (I'm Machka over there too)

We've also got a 25 centuries for 2005 challenge on in the LD forum. I'm up to 6 now ... only 19 more to go!


PS. I just completed my 81st century (since I started cycling regularly) yesterday.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 09:17 PM   #10
supcom
You need a new bike
Thread Starter
 
supcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka
Yes. I did a century a month in 2003, and am attempting again this year. Where are you logging your miles? With BigDogs? With the UMCA? Over on the Bicycling Forum's Long Distance forum?

I'm logging mine with BigDogs and the Bicycling Forum's Long Distance forum (I'm Machka over there too)

We've also got a 25 centuries for 2005 challenge on in the LD forum. I'm up to 6 now ... only 19 more to go!


PS. I just completed my 81st century (since I started cycling regularly) yesterday.
Congrats on 81. I've got a long way to reach that. I've done a grand total of 7. I don't log the miles anywhere. I just go out and ride for myself. I used to keep accurate logs, but it always turns out to be more trouble than it's worth.
supcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 09:23 PM   #11
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,768
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supcom
Congrats on 81. I've got a long way to reach that. I've done a grand total of 7. I don't log the miles anywhere. I just go out and ride for myself. I used to keep accurate logs, but it always turns out to be more trouble than it's worth.

Well there's 25 of us doing the CAM (Century a Month) challenge on Bicycling, and probably at least that many on BigDogs, and I know there's a group doing it on CyclingPlus too. You're welcome to join us!
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 02:05 PM   #12
meme
Buddha Khan
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been doing solo centuries every weekend (unless it rains). I've done so many, it's gotten somewhat routine. Lately, I haven't been doing any centuries, instead I have been doing loops going up and down San Bruno Mountain (about 30~40 miles depending on how many loops my legs will let me). The first time I did it, I had to use 30/25 gearing...but now I can do it using the 42/23 gear and 2mph faster.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 03:59 PM   #13
pcsanity1
Censorship Stinks!
 
pcsanity1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Bikes: Three
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is also a group of us tracking century a month on www.bikejournal.com
pcsanity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 09:11 PM   #14
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Bikes:
Posts: 9,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So far I have twelve centuries this year, but I don't yet have May's century (that will come this weekend). All of the other months to date are covered.
__________________
"I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
"We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
My blog.
My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:14 AM.