OK, folks. I just starting riding a few weeks ago and today I completed 50 miles on my first organized ride. I'm pretty proud of myself, but here are some important things I learned today:
1. Being in the back of the pack is not so bad...all the dogs along the route have been locked up because of chasing the FAST GUYS.
2. There are a lot of very friendly folks who are full of advice and willing to give it.
3. When you see a really really heavy guy in the parking lot before the ride, and you think to yourself "Wow, at least I know I'll not be the last one to finish" get ready to eat your hat, when he FLIES past you in the 2nd mile of the ride, never to be seen again!
4. June bugs are very very salty when they explode against your lips
5. If you're energetic enough to do 50 miles on your first ride, you should NOT be too cheap to invest in a pair of cycling shorts!
If anyone needs anything, I'll be sitting on the couch, on a pillow admiring the new shorts I bought on the way home from the ride!