Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65
  1. #1
    Get outdoors! :) Becca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Sierra 700 Limited Edition
    Posts
    456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bike Nashbar Rant

    Recently I attempted to buy a CO2 inflator and cartridges. During the ordering process, they have a box for special instructions. Since they don't have a way to specify how to ship, I wrote in there something to the effect of, "Please send via UPS Ground. DO NOT SEND via USPS." I get my order confirmation, and I waited. A few days later I wrote asking for my tracking number. "Oh, sorry - we have FedEx, we don't have UPS, so we sent it USPS." I've been trying to get them to explain why it was such a leap to think, "oh, she doesn't want it USPS, we don't have UPS, so let's send it FedEx Ground." Apparently I've been taken as a nutjob, because now they are not responding to my emails.

    Why the big deal? Because I've had the USPS lose packages on me. Because the USPS doesn't bring packages too large for my mailbox up to my third-floor walkup and leave it at the door - they leave it at the mailbox. The USPS is an issue for me, and I've explained this to Nashbar.

    As I promised them, I am no longer buying from them because of this. I am also telling all the cyclists I know - you folk - to not buy from them or from their sister company, Performance Bicycle.

    All they have to do is admit they screwed up, and make a change on their website to allow us to be specific about how to ship our packages. That's all I want.

    Thanks for listening. Please avoid Nashbar and Performance Bicycle!
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Enough of fostering fear.
    Enough of the illegitimate war.
    Enough of the hate.
    Enough is enough: vote Democrat!

  2. #2
    Perineal Pressurized dobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In Ebritated
    Posts
    6,556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I should stop shopping at Nashbar, which by the way has given me nothing but excellent service, because you say so?

    Thanks, I'll take it under advice.

    Here's a thought though, next time try the phone. You can make you wishes known and actually hear thier response.
    This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.

  3. #3
    Senior Member kb0tnv's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    My Bikes
    Kona Tiki
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don' t like Nashbar or Performance either.... support your local LBS because ...it feels good to shop local... I tried to order some gloves from Performance... but they sent me an e-mail stating they no longer carry it... then why was it on the frickin' web site? So much for "hi tech".... I don't do much online as much as I used to. You don't even know if they are even doing much for bike advocacy...

    My .02

    Keep Cycling
    "Work to Eat, Eat to Live, Live to Bike, Bike to Work"

  4. #4
    Senior Member DieselDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    8,524
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take some advice from the medical feild, always ask for what you want and NEVER mention what you don't want with th eexception of allergies.
    Bikes use brakes to stop.

    If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.

  5. #5
    /dev/null glock17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carroll, IA
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Mtn Bike
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they have a drop down box that lets you specify the shipper, i just used it the other day.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ebbtide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio's Cycling Capital, America's North Coast.
    Posts
    4,617
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like you set up a no-win scenerio for Nashbar, not that it is any real big deal anyway....

    I shop at Nashbar for price, not service. I go to the LBS if I need to be catered to. Honestly.

  7. #7
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Home alone
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
    Posts
    6,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought tons of stuff from Nashbar. I have never had a problem. They are much better than Performance even though i know they are owned by the same company. I just had a return/exchange a couple weeks back.

    Nashbar exchanged my item and had it back to me in less than 1 week.

  8. #8
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,566
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0tnv
    I don' t like Nashbar or Performance either.... support your local LBS because ...it feels good to shop local... I tried to order some gloves from Performance... but they sent me an e-mail stating they no longer carry it... then why was it on the frickin' web site? So much for "hi tech".... I don't do much online as much as I used to. You don't even know if they are even doing much for bike advocacy...

    My .02

    Keep Cycling
    Well I would love to support my local LBS... in fact any one of the 4 that are within a 10 mile radius. But the usual answer I get is "well we can order that..." Yeah so can I. In fact one shop has been holding a rear wheel for me now for 3 weeks while they "order" a new rim. Good thing I stopped in a second time to check the progress... it went something like this:

    "oh, yeah they were out of stock."

    "Oh you had my cell number... you could have called... "

    "Oh. Well, I'll call them right now."

    "OK they will ship the other one in two days."

    Great, but what about the 2 weeks I already waited... and the first time I went in and asked... wherein the reply was: "Well, I told the boss to order it... guess he never did..."

    So that is one LBS. They are a Performance shop... too bad, 'cause they used to be a great independent. Also too bad, as I can actually walk there from my office. There is another LBS is also a Performance corporate clone. They never have anything in stock either.

    The closest Mom and Pop LBS just told me the other day, after many disppointing visits of not finding parts... "well, we really are just an MTB shop... don't carry much roadie stuff... " Great. Too bad, I can actually walk there from my house.

    The last LBS is a Trek super store... friendly folks, when you are asking about new Treks...

    Sigh.

    Any question as to why I shop on-line. I can "order it" too.

    Sheldon Brown is on-line... and delivers advise too. Loose screws has all kinds of small parts. Nashbar I go to for clothing. I have not yet bought anything on-line from Performance... I just go to their local "non-stocking" stores, and then "order it myself" from someone else. Strange world, eh? Maybe someday they will finish my wheel.

  9. #9
    Senior Member robo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN, USA
    My Bikes
    1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot
    Posts
    1,060
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're making a big deal out of nothing. Online retailers, especially low priced ones like Nashbar, compete on price, not service.

    That's why people buy from them - because they can save $10 over their LBS and they don't care about getting individual attention. It's nice that some online retailers put a 'special request' box on their order form, but really, don't expect much.

    If you want caring, personalized service, find a good LBS and be prepared to pay more money for the same gear.

    Personally, i haven't found LBSes to be that caring or helpful anyway (maybe it's a NYC thing), so i do my research, buy online, and live with the occasional inconvenience. What you are complaining about (shipping with a carrier you don't like) is NOTHING.

  10. #10
    Badger Biker ctyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Beloit, Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Posts
    974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dobber
    So I should stop shopping at Nashbar, which by the way has given me nothing but excellent service, because you say so?

    Thanks, I'll take it under advice.

    Here's a thought though, next time try the phone. You can make you wishes known and actually hear thier response.
    I'll second that. I use Nasbar all the time and always get excellent service.

  11. #11
    Huachuca Rider webist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    4,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate your complaint. I believe though that I will continue to shop in accordance with my own needs and experiences.
    Just Peddlin' Around

  12. #12
    Senior Member randya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    in bed with your mom
    My Bikes
    who cares?
    Posts
    13,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly how is this Safety and Advocacy?

  13. #13
    Perineal Pressurized dobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In Ebritated
    Posts
    6,556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randya
    Exactly how is this Safety and Advocacy?
    Advocating the boycott of Nashbar? Ensuring the safety of thier parcel delivery?
    This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.

  14. #14
    You need a new bike supcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    5,434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your LBS offers do-it-yourself courier service. Same day delivery with no inflated shipping charge. You can even get delivery by bicycle so long as your package isn't too large!

  15. #15
    Tom (ex)Builder twahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez
    Posts
    2,814
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds to me like your problem is with the local office of the USPS, not with Nashbar. Maybe you should ask us to boycott the USPS instead. I personally wouldn't ship a 20 year old beach towel with FedEx, but that's my problem, not anyone else's.

    My local Performance store manager just ponied up $20 out of his pocket to sponsor my daughter for an asthma ride. I've bought a lot of gear there, but never a bike or any other big ticket item. Of course I didn't ask the UPS driver, the mailman, or the FedEx driver if they would like to sponsor her.
    Tom

    "It hurts so good..."

  16. #16
    Senior Member Dchiefransom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    6,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two Performance shops ARE my local LBS.
    If I was your mailman, I wouldn't leave anything at your door either. Too many parcels "grow legs". I most certainly wouldn't leave it sitting out in the open down by your mailbox !!!!!!!!! Is the mail person putting the parcel in a locked parcel box by the regular mailbox? It's totally against regs to leave a parcel anywhere unlocked that's not secure. You should complain:

    http://hdusps.esecurecare.net/cgi-bi...nduser/ask.php

    Fill in the info. When you complain at the P.O., it only is seen by them. When you complain online, it takes it "beyond the office".

  17. #17
    Ride the Road Daily Commute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB
    Posts
    4,059
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you get your package? If not, get your money back. If you did get your package but had some problems, call Nashbar and ask them to refund your shipping costs. They might say, "yes."

    Online stores make cycling more affordable, but you have to be willing to deal with their weaknesses. They have problems anytime your order is in anyway unusual. If you have an unusual order (for example, one that requests non-standard shipping), never order online--call them and speak to a real human being. Don't assume that they read your comments.

    Finally, to those who say LBS's are the source of all that is good, I have had more problems with special orders at LBS's than online. Sometimes orders sit for days both before being submitted to suppliers and after the parts are received at the store. Once, it took about 6 weeks to get a simple part. First time, they ordered the wrong size. Second time, they put it on the floor and sold it (after telling me I shouldn't call to check on the order's status because they would call me when it came in). The third time was the charm.

    LBS's are great for parts when you need advice or support. They are also great for parts that are in stock. But, like online stores, they have their limitations.
    Last edited by Daily Commute; 06-02-05 at 03:34 AM.

  18. #18
    Guy with bike
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
    It's totally against regs to leave a parcel anywhere unlocked that's not secure.
    Where's that reg from? And what's "secure"? USPS leaves stuff for me on my porch, in my screen door, etc, all the time.

  19. #19
    OG
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a related note, I want to firebomb the USPS. They must have a screening process before hiring. "So potential candidate, would you consider yourself incompetent? No? Go home, next candidate!"

  20. #20
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have received your package and there were any problems, I'd call and ask for a refund on shipping. I am going to assume they order filler only read your first sentence, and never bothered with the second, and that's why they shipped it USPS.

  21. #21
    Minneapolis colinm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Just under Minneapolis
    My Bikes
    1984 Bianchi ATB, 1980? Raleigh Comp GS
    Posts
    843
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca
    As I promised them, I am no longer buying from them because of this. I am also telling all the cyclists I know - you folk - to not buy from them or from their sister company, Performance Bicycle.
    Thanks, but, I like them for the most part. I agree they should have handled it personally, at some level.
    THREAD KILLER

  22. #22
    /dev/null glock17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carroll, IA
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Mtn Bike
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would have wrote fedex ground in the box since thats what they reccomend when shipping co2
    Last edited by glock17; 06-02-05 at 09:37 AM.

  23. #23
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, why don't you call them. Like I said last time to another person who threatened never to buy stuff from them. They don't care.

  24. #24
    Senior Member robo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN, USA
    My Bikes
    1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot
    Posts
    1,060
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalStrike
    On a related note, I want to firebomb the USPS. They must have a screening process before hiring. "So potential candidate, would you consider yourself incompetent? No? Go home, next candidate!"

    LOL.. I often ship packages at the post office because it's a lot cheaper than UPS or FedEx, but man, it's frustrating to be standing in a line snaking out the door, while 4 out of 6 service windows are closed but you can see the workers behind the glass standing around and having coffee and chatting and ignoring all the customers.

  25. #25
    Rider Senna94's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lehigh Valley Pa.
    My Bikes
    Mercier Aquila, Schwinn le tour
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca
    Recently I attempted to buy a CO2 inflator and cartridges. During the ordering process, they have a box for special instructions. Since they don't have a way to specify how to ship, I wrote in there something to the effect of, "Please send via UPS Ground. DO NOT SEND via USPS." I get my order confirmation, and I waited. A few days later I wrote asking for my tracking number. "Oh, sorry - we have FedEx, we don't have UPS, so we sent it USPS." I've been trying to get them to explain why it was such a leap to think, "oh, she doesn't want it USPS, we don't have UPS, so let's send it FedEx Ground." Apparently I've been taken as a nutjob, because now they are not responding to my emails.

    Why the big deal? Because I've had the USPS lose packages on me. Because the USPS doesn't bring packages too large for my mailbox up to my third-floor walkup and leave it at the door - they leave it at the mailbox. The USPS is an issue for me, and I've explained this to Nashbar.

    As I promised them, I am no longer buying from them because of this. I am also telling all the cyclists I know - you folk - to not buy from them or from their sister company, Performance Bicycle.

    All they have to do is admit they screwed up, and make a change on their website to allow us to be specific about how to ship our packages. That's all I want.

    Thanks for listening. Please avoid Nashbar and Performance Bicycle!
    Becca,
    Just to help further your dislike for nashbar/performance, I will tell you that
    nashbar sells a product produced/marketed from an Illegal DRUG Paraphernalia Company,
    called GRAFFIX.

    The sell a Jersey from graffix:http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

    Graffix is a DRUG Paraphernalia Company, bent on attracting young people to illegal drugs.
    Buying this jersey from nashbar directly supports the promotion and existance of a drug
    Paraphernalia Company. Which in my opinion is dispicible.

    Now, some people will argue it is a free market and they have the right to sell it, fine.
    But it does not have to be acceptable or supported.

    Also, some will say certain claims about Pink Floyd or Dead jerseys, which may or may not
    have conotations of drug use or drug related content, but it is completely different.

    graffix specifically produces drug paraphernalia goods, any and all sales benefit their cause
    of promoting illegal drug usage. Now, of course graffix sells these things under the guise of
    cigarette rolling paperr and pipe tobaccos, which is of course a joke in itself.

    I strongly urge anyone not to buy from these companies simply based on their
    irresponsibility and lack of concern for such a serious issue.
    What is interesting is how they changed the ad on their site, the last now line reads,
    "Itís all in jest though." Yea, that makes it all ok, its only a joke, graffix and nashbar
    dont really want to sell you a product that reflects and promotes smoking marijuana...
    they are only kidding about it...
    "Racing is my blood.."-Ayrton Senna



    Do you know the difference between news bloggers and a book with empty pages?
    There is none - both have no message.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •